Medical Marijuana for Cancer?

Medical Marijuana for Cancer?

Posted by Daryush on Dec 20, 2017 8:44 am

My dad has been managing Lung Cancer for two or three years now and is going to start treatment. Does anyone have any data or individual tributes about how cannabis has helped you or your friends and family in their fight with tumor or different diseases? Any data would be quite valued. I have perused many articles recommending very focused cannabis oil can be viable in treatment of side effects as well as in the genuine treatment of the tumor itself. Does anyone know whether there is any science behind this? I am exceptionally comfortable with the high and physical impacts of cannabis however I cannot locate any strong definitive proof that addresses its adequacy in disposing of the growth cells themselves. Any assistance or individual tributes is highly valued.

Re: Medical Marijuana for Cancer?

Posted by Belanos on Dec 20, 2017 10:26 am

Daryush‍ 

If I were you, I'd be dubious about any claims of cannabis actually shrinking tumours. The evidence of that happening is very much anecdotal and has yet to be proven. The only effect that has been show to be fairly certain so far is that it helps alleviate the nausea and lack of appetite that many chemotherapy recipients recieve. While there may be some substance to those claims you mention, the hype surrounding the "miracle" of cannabis to cure so many ills means you should really take those claims with a grain of salt.

For now at least, your father is better off following the lead of the regular medical establishment as far as treatment is concerned. There just isn't enough evidence yet to prove anything regarding the ability of cannabis to combat cancer, at the moment it should only be used as an aid and not as a cure. By all means give it a try if you like, but don't replace it with more traditional methods of dealing with the disease.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Dec 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi Daryush‍ 

Welcome to the community. This is a great place to connect with others for information and support.

Here is a link to info from www.cancer.ca about Marijuana and Cannabinoids that states the following

"Currently, researchers are studying marijuana and drugs that contain cannabinoids to find out more about how they might effectively relieve symptoms of cancer or side effects of cancer treatments. More research is needed to find out the dose and type of marijuana that helps the most with the fewest side effects, the risks and benefits of using medical marijuana for a long time and how medical marijuana might interact with other drugs used to treat cancer.

Researchers are also still trying to find out if marijuana or cannabinoids should be used as medicine to treat certain diseases, including cancer. Research into the effects of cannabinoids on cancer cells in vitro and on experimental animals has shown some promise. But this research is still in the very early stages. Much more study is needed before marijuana or cannabinoids can be used as a cancer treatment."

You may want to click the references link at the bottom of the page to further read about the topic from those sources. Health Canada is also a good source for information as well.

I hope this information helps and wish your dad all the best,
Lacey

Posted by jorola on Dec 21, 2017 1:39 am

Hi Daryush‍ 

All I can say is my hubby has stage 3b squamous non small cell lung cancer. We asked his oncologist about this and and he said that with lung cancer there has been no evidence of it helping. He is the leading oncologist at the Edmonton Cross Cancer and he seemed to be very up to date on research as he often referred to the latest research when talk to us about my husband's cancer and treatment. He saved his life but it was a hard go of chemo and radiation at the same time.

I hope your father is doing ok and all of the family too. I know how hard this is. You are very welcome here.

Jodie

Posted by Warriorprincess on Dec 21, 2017 8:06 am

Hi @Daryush‍ 
Welcome to our community , and thank you for starting a discussion on this Interesting topic !  I think that most will say there is no benefit, I disagree with this statement. I truly believe that if we "think" it helps it does The placebo effect some say . I have read extensively on this topic . Would be happy to discuss further with you privately. 
Compassion has no limit , kindness has no enemy

Posted by Mellybean on Dec 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi Daryush,

I finally signed up so I could answer you, I think I'm a bit of a test subject on this!

I asked my oncologist about medical marijuana and from the sounds of things they won't prescribe it at The Cross as a matter of policy (don't quote me, I may have misunderstood), but it can be obtained through an external agency and the most important thing is just that they don't want you smoking anything.  But they have a synthetic alternative called nabilone that they can prescribe, Dr. said it usually isn't considered necessary as symptoms can be controlled with other medications and many patients don't like the way it makes them feel.  Two days after that conversation Dr. visited and I was wrapped around my puke bucket, again, so we decided to try it.

I have gotten the impression that it isn't used very often at all, I've had a lot of different doctors come talk to me about it and the doctors and nurses seem to find me pretty entertaining.  I have found it extremely beneficial.

I'm not vomiting, it sort of simulates an appetite, like I'm not really hungry but I want mexican food and salty snacks so I don't stop eating for days at a time like I used to.  It has also really helped my mood, I used to have a day or two each cycle where I got really depressed and now if anything I'm unreasonably cheerful.  I also sleep really well, and I could honestly stare at a wall for hours without getting bored which helps a lot with the long hospitalizations.  

Downsides, brutal dry mouth which I find hard to manage because liquids upset my stomach.  I am definitely stoned if not high, if that makes sense, infinitely worse than chemo brain and with that kind of dopey slightly slurred speach that is noticiable to the people I interact with, absolutely could not operate a vehicle or be responsible for children.  This does reduce after the first few days of taking it though I'm not sure how much is perception so I certainly won't risk it.  I also think it creates a false sense of wellness, not just to me, but to the people caring for me.  I seem well enough to be up and about or out on pass and the next thing I know I've over done it and fainted and I'm strapped to a heart monitor.  

A friend of mine is using cannabis oil with her dad's cancer and I know he's found it helpful but I don't have enough detail to make a comparison, I do know that it is infinitely easier for me to fill my prescription at a pharmacy than what she is dealing with.  We are both using it to treat symptoms, there's never been any representation that it would affect the cancer itself.

I hope that's helpful, good luck with your dad and I hope you find the tools for him to be as well as possible.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Dec 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Mellybean‍ 

Thanks so much for taking the time to join to share your experience. That is so helpful! It's great to hear what your personal experience has been-thanks for sharing.

What type of cancer were you diagnosed with? 
Just read your intro!

Lacey

Posted by Aly on Jan 4, 2018 2:51 am

Daryush‍ - You can find a lot of articles on Google Articles. However; while there are quite a numerous amount of articles out there on the interweb they really boil down to one thing: there has not been enough research or studies done as of yet to yield significant proof that cannabis, or any form of cannabinoids will aid in shrinking tumors or fighting diseases.

I imagine that the 'focused cannabis oil' you speak of is called Phoenix Tears. This product is not a wise choice to bring into a cancer patients treatment plan, especially if they are on other medications. Typically, you would purchase this from a dispensary be it in person or online. You do not know who or where it was manufactured and unless you have a lab at home, you really do not know if the oil was extracted properly, or if the area in which it was created was sanitary. Since this oil is created by so many different people/manufacturers, the generalized 'dosage' information provided can be inaccurate. With inacurate dosing information, the chances of snowing your father are relatively high.

While I do not recommend phoenix tears (or focused oils), I am quite impressed with cannabinoid gummies, teas and tinctures. They seem to have great qualities for relieving pain, relaxing muscles, stimulating appetite and enabling a good restful sleep*. I recommend discussing this with your father's GP or oncologist and if they are not willing or able to discuss this topic, request a referral.

*THC has the negative effect of being a psychoactive while CBD as research shows so far has little to no side effects. THC's psychoactive effects can also be deminished by using a hybrid, for example, .24 THC to .06 CBD.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Posted by Jimmi on Jan 4, 2018 9:12 am

Daryush‍ Hello I have only been told by Drs. That marjuana is only used to treat side effects, no scientific proof of it shrinking tumours or cure. I myself used it as a appetite stimulant while undergoing chemo treatments (I had lost 30 lbs). I found It helped with that side effect & also helped reduce anxiety.
i was given a medical certificate from one of my Drs and ordered online. It is a bit expensive. Also was available to me from friends . Having grown up in the 60s & 70s what not a stranger to its use, but I suggest for first timers to be careful and start with low dose till they see how they personally react.
Jimmi

Posted by Halt on Jan 12, 2018 10:00 am

Hello Ali.  How do you obtain the gummies, tinctures etc.  Are they availablr only bu prescription?  We live in Saskatchewan and havent yet had this discussion with our oncologist but y husband is about to begin treatment for stage 4 melanoma and we would welcome any complementary treatment that would help to keep him nourished and hydrated.  Thanks for posting your information - it's very helpful.

Posted by Belanos on Jan 12, 2018 10:36 am

Halt‍ 

Here's an address that will give you information about obtaining medical marijuana for your husband. I'm not sure if edibles and oils would be available as well, it's possible that it only applies to dried cannabis. You'll need to look into that. Just copy/paste the text below into your brower's address bar on top.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/medical-use-marijuana/procedures-accessing-cannabis-medical-purposes-licensed-producer.html

Posted by MalcolmS on Jan 25, 2018 7:02 pm

I just posted a description of how we used cannabis oil for my wife's fight with rectal cancer.  It's probably not appropriate to paste the same note in multiple spots but you can look at my recent posts or, search for the discussion thread on "Phoenix Tears"

Feel free to private message me if you like.

Posted by PennyinNanaimo on Jan 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Appreciated the succinct informative info on cannabis oil. I have some similar luck using it to help me sleep. But once had a very negative extended reaction when I used the thc for nausea while on fluconazole for oral thrush! Watch out for interactions. I had too many issues with the pain killers and found the pain easiervtomti,erase than the opioids they were so generous with. Heading into pelvic radiation at some point so would appreciate info on cannabis use for nausea. 

Posted by Aly on Feb 11, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi Halt‍ ,

Let me apologize for my super late reply, I have had no internet for quite a while which should be fixed during the upcoming week. Anyhow, moving on...

I obtained a caregiver card through my mom's doctor and used it on Aurora Cannabis' website (which requires a card or doctor's approval to order).

You could also go through a subsiduary of 'Weeds' which has a location in Saskatoon (#10-405 Circle Drive). They usually will give you a caregiver card if you can bring proof of the type of cancer diagnosed or a copy of any prescription given. Call ahead to make sure that location does it. Otherwise, you can always try online, but ask around and get a legit source.
Tincture: Regular Strength CBD Tincture
Gummies: Twisted Extracts - CBD Jelly Bombs

I always recommend having the discussion with your oncologist before ordering.

For nourishment, read my post here about sneaking extra fats, vitamins and more into your food: Nourishment post 

and for hydration: water, broths, sports drinks or vitamin waters are all good choices. However; if your husband is having issues with hydration because of a sore mouth let me know, I have more tips and tricks for that!

Posted by Chanum08 on Jan 21, 2019 11:22 pm

I am suffering from lymphoma, it is almost 3 months now since I found out about this. It's a kind of cancer that begins in infection-fighting cells of the immune system. I don't know how will I be cured but this friend of mine told me to try the CBD, at first I did not believe because my doctor doesn't allow me to take some cannabis as a medicine and this is a fake medicinal treatment. But I read that it really help others that's why I tried it but I did not tell my doctor about it. So I take this for months and it really helps me a lot. I know that others won't believe me but trust me it really does.

Posted by Lee Ellen on Jan 24, 2019 1:07 pm

I've had excellent results from adding edible cannabis products to the anti-nausea drugs my oncologist prescribes for chemotherapy side-effects. Of course I've told my oncologist that I'm using cannabis, and he encourages me to continue with it, as he's had many patients who report good results and the cannabis doesn't interfere with the chemotherapy. Below is a link to an article about another cancer patient's use of pot during chemo.

I'm under no illusion that cannabis (THC or CBD) is some sort of "miracle drug" that will have any effect on my cancer (small cell lung cancer) itself, but it helps a great deal to make chemotherapy bearable, and the chemo may be what saves (or at least extends) my life.

Posted by jimrfisher50 on Jan 28, 2019 12:34 pm

I think part of the issue is there isn't testing an studies to generate the data. Anedotal youtubeclips. itwas enough to try it.My MRI's  haveshown 2 new small areas of growth.I've been takin canabus for a year In case it ha s not bbeen a tumor killer.but it has been excellent  as a mood stabilizer appetite en hancer sleep is good.