Support for Spouses/Partners

Re: Support for Spouses/Partners

Posted by Brighty on Jul 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Elizabeth06‍  thank you for your response.   I guess I was making my assumption  based on my fiances experience and  i apologize.    He had zero quality of life but that is not the case in every situation  and I'm so glad it's not the case in yours.   I would like to hear from more people who DO have quality  of life while going through  treatment! !

Posted by Wifey on Jul 26, 2018 11:34 am

Hi I have not been on for awhile. My husband has been battling NCSLC since we found out the end of October. He did his chemo and radiation and had a left upper lobe lobectomy in April. He seemed to be doing well but started having some issues with his hand perception which we thought was due to nerve damage from the surgery. We found out the end of May that he had a single metastasis to the brain. He had neurosurgery the end of June and we have found out there is still a small spot left which they hope radiation will take care of which he starts friday. However he is have arm weakness and some weakness with his walking which he did not have after the neurosurgery.  I am finding it hard to continue to have hope and it is so hard seeing him go through this.  I know statistically his prognosis is not great but we were so hopeful.

Posted by Elsie13 on Jul 27, 2018 5:17 pm

Wifey‍ Sorry to here that your husband needed neurosurgey.  I don't have any medical training, but that sounds kind of scary. Anyway, considering that the surgery was at the end of June, and healing takes time, maybe things will improve. Did they say how many radiation treatments he would have? 

Let us know how how things are going. 

Posted by Aly on Jul 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Wifey, I can only imaging what you are going through right now. It’s hard not to lose faith watching a loved one battle such a difficult disease. Where about a are you located? Depending on where you are there is always The Wellspring program you can look into to get some reprieve and just talk to someone (both of you) that understands what is going on. Do you have extra help for caregiving? Unfortunately I am not a doctor and am unable to give you any advice on whether the weakness would be deemed part of the recovery process. I would definitely recommend getting in touch with yours to find this out.

Posted by Wifey on Jul 30, 2018 1:31 pm

The radiation doctor hopes it is just inflammation and has started him on steroids. Each doctor has a different opinion about causes so we just have to wait and see. Hopefully the steroids help.  We are in southwestern ontario.  There are programs we can access for assistance when needed. Right now he just wants me which I can handle.  The ups and downs are definitely taking their toll.  Each down is hard to witness and harder to climb up from.

Posted by Aly on Jul 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Wifey‍ , I hope that the steroids lend some relief!

There are many wellspring communities in Ontario it seems (https://wellspring.ca/locations/), I found them very helpful during my stint as caregiver and also after. There are classes and groups for both patients and caregivers alike. Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends and family also, when possible, trying to do everything yourself is draining emotionally and physically. Make sure to make time for yourself when possible too.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Sep 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Wifey‍ 

How are things going have the steroids helped?

and...how are you?

Thinking of you,
Lacey

Share with your friends: