Please introduce yourself

Re: Please introduce yourself

Posted by Belanos on Dec 20, 2017 5:25 pm

BraveOne‍ 

The effects of chemotherapy are very much an individual thing. It's pointless asking anyone what to expect as everyone responds differently to the various treatments. Unfortunately, all you can do is go through with the procedure and see how your body deals with it. Your best bet is to get a list of some of the "possible" side effects of the drugs that will be used from your oncologist, and keep an eye on any of them that may or may not manifest.

One thing that does seem to be a constant however is fatigue, everyone seems to suffer from that. Be prepared need a lot more sleep than usual, and to have days where you just don't have very much energy.

Posted by jorola on Dec 21, 2017 1:30 am

hi BraveOne‍ 
I am sorry you are on your own during this. Know you can at least turn to this place for a virtual support. Chemo effects really do vary but the new medications they give you while on it are extremely helpful for the most part. Somethings that may also help are drinking lots (and I means LOTS) of water, take a sweater or small blanket to treatments as many get cold and also take some things to keep you busy as some treatments may be as long as 6 hours from start to end. Often people feel tired, run down and sometimes that gets worse with each treatment.  Nausea is not as common as even as few years ago. The meds really help with that. It helps to journal your symptoms with the chemo and keep your treatment team up to date on them so they can help you the best they can with any of them. One other thing - are you having to drive yourself to and from treatment? I ask as my hubby got almost drunk on chemo and would not have been fit to drive. Lacey_adminCCS‍  may be able to help you see if there are resources to help you out during this time including driving you to and from treatment.  Please let us know if you have other questions. We are her to help and support you the best we can and bottom line be here to even just listen. We all need people to talk to that get this. You do not have to be alone anymore.
Jodie

Posted by Dielle on Dec 21, 2017 10:08 am

Hi BraveOne‍.  Chemo also suppresses the immune system so get a flu shot if you haven't already (cancer patients often get them for free) and be extra cautious about handwashing and preventing infections.  

Does your treatment centre offer a patient education session for chemo?  If so, I highly recommend it.  You would hear about 1000 different things that are "possible", which can be overwhelming and nobody gets more than a few things on the list, but at least you know how to deal with it if it does come up.  Ask the chemo nurses questions while you are there.  They have seen everything and have a really good idea about what is common.  Also, ask if there is a nurse line or other number you can call if you have questions or concerns about side effects.

i also went through chemo largely alone, although my daughter did visit when I was first diagnosed and was there for the first treatment (I don't live near her or the rest of my family).  I did have friends and colleagues who offered help and support.  I found that I preferred to go to the treatment alone rather than ask someone to come with me.  Be prepared to ask for specific things when people say "is there anything I can do?"  And keep in touch with us here.

Best of luck with your treatments.

Debbie

Posted by Belanos on Dec 21, 2017 11:59 am

BraveOne‍ 

To expand on what Dielle‍  mentions about what to say if someone offers to help. Don't be afraid to accept it if it's offered, you're going to have days where you could use it. You'll probably find yourself feeling weaker than usual, not to mention tired, so tasks that were simple before you got sick may become more challenging. Allowing other people to help willl make things a lot easier for you, and there will be enough other stuff for you to do deal with.

Posted by Wifey on Jan 2, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi,

My husband has just started treatment for Lung Cancer. We had a difficult year last year losing his Mom quickly to lung cancer and his diagnosis 4 months after her death.  The bright side is there is no metastasis so we are hoping to shrink it with chemo and radiation and then have a resection.  We are also expecting our first grandchildren in February.  Our son and daughter- in - law are having twins.  I have taken a 2 month leave of absence to be with him during his treatments and feel grateful I have the ability to do that.

I found it difficult dealing with everything until we started treatments. It took 3 biopsies to get a sample for diagnosis and the tumour was growing rapidly during that time. It felt like a weight had been lifted from our shoulders when the treatment finally started. 

My husband says the chemical smell he has is the worst part. He feels like he stinks and the smell is what makes him nauseated.  I have assured him we don't smell it but I feel bad that he does.  Does anyone know of a way to overcome the smell for him?

Posted by Laurence from Acton on Jan 2, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi,

I am new to the site.  My wife was diagnosed with de novo Stage IV breast cancer (breast and bone) in March of 2017 and we just found out today that she now has liver mets (at least 9).  You wouldn’t know she was sick if you met her and her energy level is reasonable.  We went to Barbados and Scotland 
last year as travelling with friends and family was one of our retirement goals.  We are both in our mid/late 50’s so retirement was moved up.  Had hoped to go to Greece this year, maybe in September, but now we don’t know what is ahead for us.  I am scared to death that I will be losing this wonderful lady who has been the focus of my life for 39 years and I want to do right by her.  I hope to talk to some people who have a little understanding of what may be ahead for us.

Thank you all,

Laurence

Posted by Handyman on Jan 3, 2018 6:59 am

Laurence from Acton‍ 

My partner, also in her 50s, is also living with breast cancer.  She is currently in a break in treatment, but that is resuming again in a couple of weeks.
I'm glad you found this site, and have decided to participate. The understanding and support you will receive here, in my opinion, can't be found elsewhere.  
Ask questions, rant, read and chat. We will be doing the same.

Posted by Laurence from Acton on Jan 3, 2018 8:56 am

Wifey‍ 

Thanks for sharing this.  We have an appointment in 2 weeks to find out what the new treatment options are and I can’t help feeling like the cancer is out of control until we do something. Hopefully when her treatment starts we will feel the relief you experienced.

It must be a little unsettling to be feeling that you have a smell.  Have the doctors said anything about that? 

Posted by Laurence from Acton on Jan 3, 2018 9:02 am

Handyman‍ 

i hope for the best for your partner and for you.  How long has she been on this journey?  Did she handle treatments well or were they a big struggle?

Laurence

Posted by Laurence from Acton on Jan 3, 2018 9:13 am

Brighty:
All Caregivers out there............how do you do this without falling apart on a daily basis??   What tips do any of you have?   It's been 6 months and there hasn't been a day that has gone by I haven't had a breakdown at least once per day.       Any tips on keeping it together?       

There is absolutely no shame in breaking down on a daily basis.  We all “handle”things differently.  For me, crying doesn’t come easily but I tear up plenty.  I actually wish I could have a good cry now and again to get some release from the way I feel.  

Posted by jorola on Jan 3, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi Wifey‍ 
I am a wife who cared for her husband with lung cancer too. I am sorry he is having such a hard time with smells. Treatment can do weird things to you. What about putting a more tolerable smell in vasaline on the skin just below his nose. Careful not to use too much smell of whatever you use as right there it would be powerful in any amounts. 

Posted by Wifey on Jan 3, 2018 7:10 pm

jorola:
Hi Wifey‍ 
I am a wife who cared for her husband with lung cancer too. I am sorry he is having such a hard time with smells. Treatment can do weird things to you. What about putting a more tolerable smell in vasaline on the skin just below his nose. Careful not to use too much smell of whatever you use as right there it would be powerful in any amounts. 

Thank you Jorola,  
I got him a metholatum inhaler stick and it is doing a good job for him.  It is strange how everyone reacts differently.

Posted by Handyman on Jan 4, 2018 10:56 am

Laurence from Acton‍ 
I sent you a private message in response to your questions.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jan 4, 2018 11:09 am

Hey Wifey‍ 

Thanks for sharing about the inhaler stick helping. Where do you buy them? I'm glad it's helping and he is feeling more comfortable.I have heard people complain about a chemical smell before. 

Glad to hear that there are no metastases I hope the chemo and radiation do their job. Twins how exciting! Something wonderful for you both to look forward to.

Are you taking some time to take breaks?

Glad you found us, keep us posted.
Lacey

Posted by Wifey on Jan 4, 2018 7:54 pm

Laurence from Acton:
Wifey‍ 

Thanks for sharing this.  We have an appointment in 2 weeks to find out what the new treatment options are and I can’t help feeling like the cancer is out of control until we do something. Hopefully when her treatment starts we will feel the relief you experienced.

It must be a little unsettling to be feeling that you have a smell.  Have the doctors said anything about that? 

We haven’t seen the oncologist since it started. I will ask when we see him on the 16th. Good luck on your appointment. I felt a real lack of control until we got started and that was I think the cause of my anxiety. The fact that it took 3 biopsies to get the definitive diagnosis didn’t help but we are on our way to beating it now. 

Posted by Wifey on Jan 4, 2018 7:58 pm

Lacey_adminCCS:
Hey Wifey‍ 

Thanks for sharing about the inhaler stick helping. Where do you buy them? I'm glad it's helping and he is feeling more comfortable.I have heard people complain about a chemical smell before. 

Glad to hear that there are no metastases I hope the chemo and radiation do their job. Twins how exciting! Something wonderful for you both to look forward to.

Are you taking some time to take breaks?

Glad you found us, keep us posted.
Lacey

Hi. You can get the ina,er sticks at the pharmacy. Usually by the Vick’s vapour rub. He said it is a god send. 
We are very excited about our twins. I have the ability to take a couple months off work to be with my husband so I will be able to have some me time. My stress level is so much better being off with him. I wish all significant others could do this. 

Posted by Carla'sBear on Sep 7, 2018 10:20 pm

Hi,

I am the primary caregiver to my wife of 4 and a half years. I turned 40 this year and employed full time at a decent job and thank goodness for medical benefits! We don't have children unless you count the furry kind.

​​​​​​My wife was diagnosed with stage 3 aggressive invasive ductal carcinoma with 5 positive lymph nodes in March of this year. Just finished chemo(Fec-d, 3 rounds of each) and mets to her brain was found(more like they never checked her head!). She just turned 43 this past Monday, we got the news Wednesday.

not sure what else to say

​​​​​