Can cancer survivors or those undergoing treatment acquire COVID-19 more readily?

Can cancer survivors or those undergoing treatment acquire COVID-19 more readily?

Posted by law on Oct 6, 2020 4:23 pm

Hi Everybody,
As a fortunate survivor of cancer for almost 2 years, I wonder if we survivors are in greater danger of acquiring COVID-19?.
Is our immune system more compromised?
How about COVID-19 risks for those folks currently with cancer or undergoing treatment for cancer?
Thanks for any info provided
law

Re: Can cancer survivors or those undergoing treatment acquire COVID-19 more readily?

Posted by LGS on Oct 6, 2020 5:19 pm

I don’t think we are more prone to acquire Covid, but my understanding is that anyone with an underlying medical condition (of which cancer is one) would have a much more difficult time overcoming it should you be infected.

Re: Can cancer survivors or those undergoing treatment acquire COVID-19 more readily?

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Oct 6, 2020 5:26 pm

Hi law‍ 

Great question.

If you have cancer, you are at a higher risk for more serious outcomes of COVID-19. Cancer is considered an underlying medical condition. And some cancer treatments, such as surgery, chemotherapy, immunotherapy and radiation therapy, can weaken your immune system, making it harder for you to fight infections.

Talk to your doctor or healthcare team if you have concerns about your risk for COVID-19 as a result of current or past cancer treatment. They are the best source of information if you have questions about your risk based on where you live in Canada or your medical history. They will also keep you updated about any possible changes to your cancer treatments during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Here is some more info on Cancer and COVID19

How have you been doing?

Lacey

Posted by Boby1511 on Oct 6, 2020 6:23 pm

I couldn't fight the cold right now, lol.
As a survivor thou (maybe not acquiring, but a more unfavourable outcome) ...interesting question... I read that once you have cancer and certain chemo treatments it increases your odds of getting a second different cancer...
Like latent radiation effects...

Posted by Essjay on Oct 7, 2020 8:37 am

law‍ congrats on your survivorship!

As I understand it, if you are not in treatment and your immune system has recovered back to normal blood cell counts then you are no longer immunocompromised and at no greater risk from COVID or flu or colds than anyone else...

Im trying to stay healthy by staying home as much as I can, eating well, exercising, managing my stress as well I can, using a mask and hand sanitizer when I go out and physically distancing. So far so good 🤞🏻🤞🏻
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by law on Oct 7, 2020 12:42 pm

Hi Lacey_Moderator‍ 
Good to hear from you! and thank you for your explanations and the info links you provided. I am thus far still fortunate to be NED, I am able to eat and swallow a more solid chewable menu, and I feel great....other than the associated fatigue on occasion. I still have to be careful when I eat and I'm still doing stretching/ swallowing exercises. My esophagus has post-radiation scar tissue----but the scope and pathology found no other concerns YAY !!
I send you healthy greetings during this wacky COVID mess....and hope your ankle is back to its max.
Happy Thanksgiving/ Indigenous Peoples Day 
law

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Oct 7, 2020 12:50 pm

law‍ 

Great to hear back from you! 

Wishing you continued health and nice holiday weekend.
Lacey

Posted by Squirrels on Oct 7, 2020 4:35 pm

Thats a great question.  I have been wondering the same.  Thanks for all the replies .  I am being very careful toi..only seeung a few people..masking and lots of sanitizer.  And enjoying drives to see the beautiful trees