Pancreatic cancer

Pancreatic cancer

Posted by Brendita on Jan 10, 2018 6:14 pm

My 70 year old brother was recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in his pancreas, abdomen and lymph nodes. He has decided to try the suggested treatment of Gemcitabine/Abraxane chemo (once a week for three weeks, then one week off). He will begin next week. Does anyone have experience with this type of cancer and/or this treatment? I will be with him as a support person and would like to know what to expect during the procedure and after effects. I have read a lot but would like to hear personal stories. Thanks so much for any information!

Re: Pancreatic cancer

Posted by Elsie13 on Jan 11, 2018 4:42 pm

Brendita‍ , so sorry to hear about your brother's diagnosis. Lacey_adminCCS‍ , I don't know if Joyceladouceur‍  still visits the site?  Maybe she could tell her story?
       Brendita, there are some discussions here about caring for someone with cancer that might be of interest:
https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewcategory/35

Posted by Brendita on Jan 12, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks so much Elsie!

Posted by June Bug on Jan 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi Brendita‍  I was diagnosed with PC in September 2017. My November CT confirmed stage IV with a spot on the liver. I have been responding well to gemcitibine/abraxane and my tumor has shrunk by 75%. After more than a year in treatment I have to say there have been some side effects, mainly diahrea and neuropathy. I started taking breaks early on to help minimize the buildup of toxicity and side effects. My treatment is also 3 weeks on, one week off. In addition I have been taking one complete cycle off after every three cycles. Knowing a break is coming helps me to deal with the challenges. Take care.

Share with your friends: