Anastrozole side effects

Anastrozole side effects

Posted by Flower lady on Jul 5, 2017 10:35 pm

I'am taking Anastrozole orally daily , I was wondering if others taking this medication can give advice on managing the side effects of muscle & joint stiffness and pain . I would appreciate suggestions to help keep me moving . Thank you ! Flower Lady 

Re: Anastrozole side effects

Posted by Jodeko on Jul 30, 2017 10:34 am

I will be starting this treatment in the very near future as well and so I'd be interested in hearing the experience of others too. I would also like to know if anyone is taking this medication will having radiation treatment. 

Posted by Beespecial on Jul 31, 2017 9:47 am

Hi there. Im on tamoxifen which is a little different than the aramotase inhibitor you're going to take. But they are taken for the same purpose. I've been on tamoxifen since June 6th.and i started radiation a couple of weeks ago. Today will be visit #"10 out of 30 visits total. So far no major side effects from the drug, some minor joint pain and I'm struggling with keeping weight off - hard to know if it's the tamoxifen or the cinnamon rolls. Also no side effects from rads at the moment either. So, hopefully you'll have the same - easy visits and easy time taking the letrozole. Good luck with everything!
Belinda

Posted by garden dreams on Aug 3, 2017 10:29 am

I'm taking letrozole, and getting the achy joints.  My nurse suggested drinking Tonic Water because it has quinine in it.  So I'm trying it, and the nurse will check in with me in a week to see if it's helping.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Aug 18, 2017 3:56 pm

How are you doing Flower lady‍, any improvement?

Is the tonic water working garden dreams‍ ?

Posted by garden dreams on Aug 19, 2017 11:33 am

I didn't notice any difference in the aches after taking tonic water.  I stopped taking the letrozole about 2 weeks ago because of the aches.  It is still working its way out of my system - I still have the aches, but not as bad.  I don't know if my tiredness is just from treatment recovery, or if the letrozole is also contributing.  I feel good about my decision.  I haven't talked to my doctor yet (though he knows).

Posted by Flower lady on Aug 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi Thank you for asking Lacey and for your comments garden dreams‍  . I was taking Tylenol consistently as suggested by my family doctor it wasn't helping so I added an Advil and that helped a bit ( but my dr suggested I not due to high blood pressure.
I had a fall last December and did some knee & hip damage but I didn't get it checked out so I have been trying to figure out what is causing the pain the fall ( and then walking weird ) or the Anastrozole side effects  or varicose veins ( I am on my feet a lot )  I had knee x rays and there is no sign of arthritis. 
i have a prescription for Naproxen for previous back pain and it works really well and I have been trying to be very active with walking while on vacation . I am hoping to continue the activity once I return to work on Wednesday . I also tried muscle relaxers and they didn't do anything for the pain .
That is my update , Flower Lady 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Aug 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi Flower lady‍ 

Nice to hear from you. I hope things continue to improve.

Were you away for vacation?  

Lacey

Posted by Flower lady on Aug 22, 2017 3:12 pm

Yes , my husband & I took a week off and went to Quebec City and Ottawa , both were great and a nice break . 

Posted by BC2017 on Nov 23, 2018 11:51 pm

I have the same problem.  I have found that two things help:  acupuncture from a lady who specializes in cancer acupuncture, and exercise.  Exercise is the main thing that helps me as I can't afford to have acupuncture as often as I'd like.  I go to exercise classes at our local community centre.  Before I exercise, I'm moving like the tin man from The Wizard of Oz.  After, I move well, until I sit for any prolonged time (that is, more than 45 minutes).  Then I'm stiff again until I move around.  But the stiffness is a lot less after sitting if I do an hour of moderate exercise daily.  I know that an hour of exercise a day is a lot to try to fit in, but the days I miss it, like yesterday, I feel awful!  I'm having very unpleasant other effects - like light and fragmented sleep, and hair thinning, and sexual dysfunction.  For the hair thinning, I use Rogaine, which helps.  For the sleep I haven't found anything except exercise that helps a little, but not much.  For the sexual side effects, I've given up.  I believe that some people get harder hit because of their genetic makeup.  I know people who don't feel as bad as I do.  

Posted by MedieaVal on Nov 24, 2018 9:21 am

Hi BC2017‍ . I've been taking anastrozole for over a year and totally agree about exercise. It makes all the difference although it is hard to get moving. Regarding sleep, I had the same problem and so I started taking my anastrozole at supper time. Now I sleep better. Maybe you could try that? 

Posted by Maggie17 on Nov 25, 2018 11:05 am

I was on it for 6 months expecting the worst for side effects. I had read a lot about the drug before agreeing to try it and dreaded it.   For me the only side effect that was really bad was hot flash intensity especially at nights.  I went off it when I had the second breast removed. I’m quite active to start with so I’m sure keeping the joints moving helps. It is unfortunate the treatments that give relief are so expensive. It just tells me that although many women can take the same drug don’t suffer the same or have all the possible side effects. Hope things improve for those suffering.

Posted by Lilysopal on Nov 25, 2018 12:06 pm

I was on Anastrozole for five years from 2006 to 2011. Yes I had side effects, what I called “bone aches”, after less a year They went away.  I am wondering if I have lingering side effects.  I try to put this experience behind me and move forward, living one day at a time.  I am a cofacilitator of a breast cancer support group, which is open to those with any type of Cancer.  We are there to support one another and listen.  Many of our members who have been on Anastrozole have reported side effects.

Posted by Elsie13 on Nov 25, 2018 3:05 pm

Lilysopal‍ Thanks for joining in on the discussion. May I ask, what are the lingering side effects you suspect? 

Posted by Lilysopal on Nov 25, 2018 4:27 pm

Elsie thank you for asking and I will share this with you.

Mild weakness, mild tiredness, difficult with fine mother skills, perhaps more.  I have not really looked into this.  However I just turned 69, and this could be age related.  When I have asked my oncologists the answer is could be.

hope this helps

Posted by Arkygirl on Nov 26, 2018 7:15 am

Hi all, I've been on Anastrozole since May 2017. Almost immediately, and every day since, I've had terrible bone and joint aches. Some days they are so bad that I can't even bend over to pick up something that's fallen on the floor. I wake up feeling like this. It's even hard to walk around my neighbourhood. It also seems like my plantar fasciitis (heel spur) is worse but I don't know if it's related. After a day at work, just doing moderate walking from my desk to various parts of the building, I'm so achy when I get home that I have to rest for the remainder of the day. I often have to take Aleve. Gone are the days when I could go shopping or to the movies or even to dinner out after work. I find myself calculating how far it is to walk to a destination and then bailing on doing things that require too much walking. I'm only 61, but I feel like 81.

My oncologist told me to go off the medication for 2 weeks and see how I feel. I started my experiment last Friday. I don't know if it's the placebo effect or not, but I feel better today. I work part time, so the real test will be the days I go in to work this week.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Nov 26, 2018 4:13 pm

Arkygirl‍ 

Keep us posted on the rest of your experiment!

Posted by Ziba on Dec 11, 2018 10:44 pm

I'm on Anastrozole almost for 2 months having side effects like hot flashes specially during night time which are so bothering and make me wake up so many times during my sleep time but  doing every day exercise for 30 minutes reducing my joints  and muscles pain a lot ! 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jan 30, 2019 12:32 pm

How are you doing Arkygirl‍ ? What did you decide after going off for two weeks?

Ziba‍ - Have your side effects subsided any?

Posted by Arkygirl on Jan 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi there, Lacey_adminCCS. I went on my 2-week Anastrozole holiday. I didn't see a difference for about 2 days, then, WOW, I suddenly remembered what it was like to be able to move around freely again. The rest of those 2 weeks felt like a holiday even though I was at work, LOL. I dutifully went back on the Anastrozole and now I feel like I did before - tired, achy, crunchy, and generally fleh. 
But, I'm not much of a gambler. I ask myself would any of the alternatives be just as bad? Presumably, my oncologist chose this one because it was most efficacious. Would I be trading the frying pan for the fire?
I see my oncologist later this year. I will tough it out til then and ask her at the appointment what the other options are. 
Thanks for thinking of me,
Christine

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jan 30, 2019 4:00 pm

Thanks for the update Arkygirl

Hang in there and stay in touch

Lacey

Posted by Tutti on Jan 31, 2019 1:55 pm

I had a very hard time with letrozole and eventually changed to anastrozole, which has made a world of difference for me. I still have similar side effects to those on Letrozole but they are much less severe after the change in medication. I highly recommend talking to your doctor about trying a switch if you are still having a lot of difficulty when you go for your appointment. It may not be better. It could be worse, but everyone is so different you can’t really know without trying. One thing I have realized though - I will never be who I was when I wasn’t taking the medicine (during a brief drug holiday). I am now working on acceptance of less energy, fuzzy brain, and a queasy nauseated feeling if I over-extend. I’m still hoping for some improvement as time goes by. However, I too am not a gambler so as long as I am functional I will stick with it. There are two more alternatives I could try but their possible side effects seem even more daunting to me than the ones I have. I hope things continue to improve for you!

Share with your friends: