Chronic Myeloid Leukemia and Covid-19

Chronic Myeloid Leukemia and Covid-19

Posted by A123 on Mar 20, 2020 5:38 pm

Hi Everyone..

Just wondering if anyone has this diagnosis and how people are managing? Do you have any information of the cover 19 virus and this type of Leukemia? I just saw on the news today a man age 51 passed away from Covid 19 with Leukemia. I am not sure what kind he had.

Re: Chronic Myeloid Leukemia and Covid-19

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 20, 2020 5:55 pm

A123‍ 

Something to keep in mind - everyone's situation is different and unique to them.

Using the precautions we all need to (social distancing, using a mask in public if you are immune deficient, washing your hands, coughing into your arm/elbow, staying home etc...) also known as universal precautions are our best tools to keep us as healthy as possible.

What other precautions if any has your medical team recommended for you to follow?

This link Cancer and COVID19 (novel coronavirus) from the Canadian Cancer Society provides answers to our questions

Give it a read and pass it on..

ACH2015

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Mar 20, 2020 6:24 pm

Hello A123‍ 

welcome to the site I read in you profile that you have been doing well since your diagnosis. So good to hear. . ACH2015‍ has given you a link to the most up to date information on the CCS website regarding COVID-19.
I wanted to further express that indeed everyone's situation is different and the variables between one patient and another are many.

Do you still see your GP or oncologist for followup? Perhaps they have some information for your specific case.

Glad you reached out.

Lianne

Posted by dmarie on Mar 21, 2020 9:46 am

Hi A123‍  I have had CML since June 2017. I am currently on Imatinib and under good control.
I have decided to be as cautious as I can these days and have basically been self isolating with my husband. We do go for long walks everyday (making sure we try to stay the mandatory 2 meters from any one we pass ) and still go to the grocery store if needed, but apart from that we stay in. 
I have a previously scheduled appointment with my Leukaemia doctor on Thursday. assuming it isn't cancelled I'll report back here with any advice he has to offer.
Stay safe.

Posted by Angelgirl on Mar 25, 2020 8:53 pm

Thanks for posting this!  Please do let us know what advice your oncologist gives you.
Good luck tomorrow!  

Posted by dmarie on Mar 26, 2020 10:10 pm

A123‍ , Angelgirl‍ 
I had my doctor appointment today by phone. Luckily all was OK with my bloodwork apart from a low hemoglobin count so he did not need to physically see me. 
My doctor is self isolating except for some patient appointments. He strongly suggested that everyone should be isolating themselves at home if we want to beat this and that people with health issues such as ours must be especially diligent about staying away from others.
Try to be safe everyone. 

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Mar 27, 2020 1:43 pm

Thanks for the update dmarie‍ . Happy to hear your blood work was AOK.

Be safe as well.

Lianne

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Apr 8, 2020 4:36 pm

A123‍ - Just checking in-  how you are doing?

Posted by A123 on Apr 15, 2020 2:58 pm

I am doing well thanks for checking in. Have not left the house except for walks with my dog. Looking forward to seeing friends and family again in person one day. 😊