blood cancer

blood cancer

Posted by beardog on Mar 14, 2018 12:19 pm

about 4 wks ago my doctor told me i had a hi white cell count after more tests he told me i had chronic lymphatic leukemia. he sent the results on to the cancer treatment center and i havent heard anything more.does anyone know about this cancer

Re: blood cancer

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi beardog‍ 

​Did you mean Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia? I looked it up and found "Lymphocytic" Leukemia.

Below is a link to the definition and further information abut it.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/chronic-lymphocytic-leukemia/about/what-is-cll.html

​I can also suggest calling 888 939 3333 which is an information line of the Canadian Cancer Society.

​Below is information from the CCS about Leukemia in general.

http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-type/leukemia/leukemia/?region=on

I am also going to tag Dawn452‍ and lochatter‍ that are recent members here and identify with having leukemia as well.

​I hope these resources give you some assistance in gaining a better understanding about your cancer. It's tough just getting started out, and we have all been there ourselves.

​Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Keep well

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by lochatter on Mar 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Hello Beardog!

Welcome to the community.  You are about to learn more about your blood then you ever thought imaginable.  I had an acute leukemia (APL) which is fast growing cancer and could have killed me within a few weeks.  You have chronic which is a slower growing cancer so that may be the reason you have not heard.  I am by no means an expert in CLL. However I have learnt that you are in charge of your own health so I would do some calling to see where the hold up is.  

In Alberta they have nurse navigators that assist you with well navigating the world of cancer.  Call your local clinic or hospital to see if they have such a person who can assist you.

Outside the medical world is an amazing organization called The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada.  http://www.llscanada.org/  You need to contact them as they can help you learn more about your type of leukemia.  You can call 1-800-955-4572. What's great about this service is that they are the experts in all types of leukemia and it's free!  They can also connect you with someone who has CLL who can provide you with first hand knowledge.

There is a lot of information on the internet but I found most of it terifying so I stick to the official websites like the Canadian Cancer Society and the Luekemia Society.  

The most important thing you can do is take care of yourself.  Your immune system may be low so wash your hands really well before eating to make sure none of those germs get into your system.  Get lots of rest but still get some movement in during the day.  Drink lots of water.  Stay social because it's great for your emotional health.  You have no idea how getting together with people you enjoy can lift your mood once you start treatments (If that is the plan, because not all leukemia's get treated with chemo).

Best of luck Beardog.  Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.  Take a deep breath and remember you are alive :) 

Big smiles,
LoChatter

Posted by Bill Sutherland on Apr 5, 2018 1:46 am

Last October I was diagnosed with Primary MF, when the angiogram I was given to diagnose the Shortness of Breath I was once again experienceing. The last time this happened, 2 years prior I ended up with a stent and it was assumed that I was in cardiac distress once again. I started with 2000 Mg of Hydroxy Urea daily. After only two transfusions caused by extremely low Hgb we have now, seemingly, acheived for now, a near balance between almost normal but low Hgb and almost normal but high Platelet levels. Our internist recommended alternating dosage during the week Monday, Wednesday, Friday I do 1500 Mg the rest of the week I have 100Mg daily. As well our GP ran all of my meds through software that runs on Coast Healths Server, I am guessing.  Any way, my Gout medication interacts with the Hydroxia and I now have to be more observant of what I eat. I do blood tests weekly. It is part of our weekly routine. I am once again able to spend more time, during the day, at work.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Apr 5, 2018 10:19 am

Welcome Bill Sutherland‍,

So nice to meet you-thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.

It sounds like you have a great healthcare team. Do you feel well supported?

I have heard from others that having Gout really restricts what you can eat. Have you seen a Dietician for support?

Glad you found us,
Lacey

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Apr 5, 2018 10:22 am

How are you doing beardog‍? Have you checked into any of the info that was suggested?

Waiting for answers is one of the most anxiety inducing stages of a cancer diagnosis. I'm glad you found us so we can help support you throught this. You're not alone.

Any news?

Lacey