Acute Myeloid Leukemia Survivors

Acute Myeloid Leukemia Survivors

Posted by magicq on Jun 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Hello, my mother was diagnosed this past February with acute myeloid leukemia (AML). She has the M2 subtype. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of older survivors (~55 years or older) of AML? My mom is turning 60 this year and even though I've heard it is curable for all ages, I've only ever seen personal stories of AML survivors who are much younger. It would be nice to actually know of any long-term older survivors of AML rather than just rely on faceless numbers.

Re: Acute Myeloid Leukemia Survivors (contains omitted link)

Posted by Carcinogen Abolition on Jun 28, 2015 1:43 am

Hello Magic Q,

I have heard of amazing survival testimonies among people of all ages, with all locations of cancer, with and without conventional treatment. My Mom had cancer and lived 18 years after first diagnosis. Now my partner is two years into an "aggressive" breast cancer. The most important thing with these two experiences has been to just be lovingly present and pursue experiences that bring us closer together.

These two stirring films were done by survivors and dramatically transformed my understanding and fear about cancer:
CBCs Wendy Mesley, Breast Cancer Survivor:
Chasing the Cancer Answer
and
Living  Downstream trailer, complete DVD available for borrowing at BC Cancer Agency's Rix Library, 675 W 10th Ave, Vancouver. If you don't live there, it may be available for free download online at this library link. Otherwise I can mail you a complimentary copy.

For Your Mother's Best Welfare,
Larry Wartels
Victoria BC

Re: Acute Myeloid Leukemia Survivors

Posted by NikiforNiki on Jun 29, 2015 8:21 pm

Hi Larry,
Would you please be so generous as to mail me a copy of the documentary "Living Downstream". I can't seem to get acces to it via any of the sources you referenced in your post. It would really be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Monique 

If you can send me an email at stemo at telus dot net I can provide you with my mailing address.