Vulvar Cancer and recovery

Vulvar Cancer and recovery

Posted by Redrocket on Oct 2, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi there

I recently had surgery for vulvar cancer (squamous cell carcinoma). And luckily they were able to remove the tumor and get good clean margins. No spread to sentinel node....and no further treatment required. 

What I want to know is anyone out there that can share their recovery with me? I have some anxiety and always worrying about infection. My vulvar stitches did not hold and a bit of infection inside but most antibiotics given. My one groin incision is still open 2 wks post op. I'm not sleeping very well due to my anxiety over infection.....

I would love to hear from others who might have other experiences or advice.

Thanks 

R

Re: Vulvar Cancer and recovery

Posted by Wendy Tea on Oct 2, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi Redrocket‍ , please don't worry but do go back to your doctor and ask for help. Maybe you need more stitches or maybe they can use another method to help close the incision. Keep on top of this. Tell the doc about your anxiety. Cancer affects the site, the body, the mind, the emotions and the family. Look after yourself. One of the ladies will add to my comments with valuable advice.
Best wishes
Wendy Tea
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by Redrocket on Oct 3, 2019 3:17 pm

Thanks so much......unfortunately stitches cannot be closed but they are slowly getting better. I will look into some professional care for my anxiety. My doctor today was wonderful and made me feel at ease. 

I look forward to connecting with others on this site. 

Thanks 
R

Posted by Elsie13 on Oct 4, 2019 5:14 pm

Hello Redrocket‍ , welcome to cancerconnection.  I saw you in "Just finished treatment," also.  Perhaps I could explain about tagging: To tag someone, you type the
 symbol and immediately start to type the name. Two or three options pop up in little blue boxes, and you click on the name that applies. 
antsy‍  Jennyk‍  : Can you join in here, and maybe let us know how you're doing? 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Redrocket on Dec 14, 2019 9:24 am

Hi Elsie13‍ 

Thanks for the message.....I have not really figured out how to use this site very well lol...

I'm doing ok, I'm back to work and find myself exhausted and aching most days. The healing process has been tiring but I'm thankful that I'm in the clear atm. What I struggle with at times is that my family (kids/bf) just go on and act like it never really happened. I'm grateful that I caught it early but from diagnosis to surgery to recovery to back to work was so fast that I never really processed it all. Processed the fact that I'm missing a part of me, that my feminine part is not the same,  feels different and painful and numb. They all say u dont have cancer now that its been removed. But I feel a part of me has changed and yet I dont get time to make room for that thought. I will require follow up appointments for the next 2 years .....to me that's something not nothing. 

I'm glad to have a place to come to where there is support......

Thanks

Posted by Elsie13 on Dec 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Redrocket‍ Yes, cancer is a very big deal. I got my ovarian cancer diagnosis late in 2016.  So I'm No Evidence of Disease now, but the diagnosis and treatments are not something you just forget. I have lymphedema in my legs now, as they removed lots of lymph nodes when I had my hysterectomy. So I'm wearing thigh high compression stockings every day, and doing a special massage. I saw my physiotherapist earlier in the week, and I'm supposed to bandage my lower Right leg at night, now. (I just haven't started doing it yet!)
                       Maybe you would like to look around 'The emotional roller coaster' https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewcategory/79
                You can join a discussion, or start your own topic. 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Essjay on Dec 14, 2019 9:09 pm

Hi Redrocket‍ glad to hear you are recovering from surgery. Of course cancer isn't nothing. I can only think that your friends and family are trying to encourage you to move on with your recovery. You've had a lot happen to you in a short space of time and you have changed. Your feelings are valid and real.

Please check out the psychosocial services at your cancer centre. The counsellors are there for us, and I am sure they can help you to come to terms with what has happened, and manage your anxieties about the future.

Meanwhile, check out some of the posts in other parts of this forum eg. Living well after cancer...

Best wishes Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Dec 15, 2019 10:09 am

Redrocket‍ , I have been where you are, and I’ll private message you with a bit more about that.

I want to say that your kids and bf are carrying on like nothing happened because it didn’t happen to them. If they had experienced what you have, it would be more fresh in their minds. Once they see you up and about, doing normal day-to-day things, they revert to day-to-day behaviour, and that’s actually a good thing.

When you get an opportunity to talk to your boyfriend, though, it might be good to have a heartfelt talk about how you are feeling. In the meantime, think about what your needs are from him so you can give him some concrete suggestions for what he can do now to support you.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying