Biopsy results + first appointment at cancer center

Biopsy results + first appointment at cancer center

Posted by Vdixon223 on Mar 24, 2020 2:47 pm

What's up everyone my name is Vincent I recently had a right orchiectomy and I got the biopsy results back but didn't get them explained to me in any way. But the make up for the tumor they did biopsy on came back 
60% embryonal carcinoma
25% yolk sac tumor
5% choriocarcinoma
5% teratoma
5% seminoma 
.....what does all of that mean?

Lastly I just wanted to know what to expect during my first appointment with cancer center, and do I bring up symptoms I've been having recently with them or do I wait until my follow up appointment? 

Re: Biopsy results + first appointment at cancer center

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Mar 24, 2020 4:39 pm

Hello Vdixon223‍ Victor and welcome to the site.

If you are going to an appointment at the cancer centre, can I assume that it is with an oncologist?
If this is the case, the explanations of the makeup of the tumour will be explained by the medical professional..
At that appointment, you can ask for a copy of the report if you don't already have one and definitely bring up the pain and symptoms you are having 

There is a link here from cancer.ca on Testicular cancer and at the bottom of the link there are a list of questions to ask a doctor. It can be found here

Let us know how your appointment goes.

Lianne

Posted by VioletFlower on Mar 24, 2020 10:51 pm

Hello Vincent!
Vdixon223‍ 
Im a caregiver for my adult son (41)  with a disability, who was diagnosed with testicular cancer at the end of Jan. I will update in the caregiver section under my post “son with disability.”  Because we are so new to this we are also still learning. My son also had a right orchiectomy and healed quite quickly and without any issues. His urologist was the surgeon and said that one testicle can take care of the hormone production so no need to take hormones. 

The urologist also did the follow up with the pathology report and although we did not get a copy of the report his family doctor did. The urologist read the report in our presence and just told us the important things which concluded that at this point it looks like he needs no further treatment as there was no evidence of cancer in his body through his blood markers or surgery margins. However, he did do a blood test and two follow up scans for bone and abdominal CT scan which he did today. We go back to get the results of these tests in a week.

So, even though I can’t answer any of your questions about your pathology report, as suggested you will get the answers from your next appt or maybe even see your family doc to clarify your questions, and I hope this post helps you to not feel so alone with this diagnosis (DX).

I hate to say that I was happy to see another with person with this DX but I hope you know what I mean. I need to find some better words for what I mean. From my understanding this is the most common cancer in young men aged 15-40 but also, when dx’d early has positive outcomes. Wishing you the best and hope you keep us updated so that others can find support and information by reading your posts as well.

Warm thoughts that all goes smooth for you.
Violet flower (Judy)

Posted by Kims1961 on Mar 24, 2020 11:21 pm

Vdixon223‍   Welcome!  So glad you posted.  A great question and i see you have some excellent responses already.

Another tip that I found helpful was to get a journal/notebook - and write down any questions/concerns - how you're doing now - etc etc.  Bring it with you to your appt. as it helps to refer to it, when they ask if you have any further questions ( Bring a pen with you as well to jot down answers).  Will someone be going with you to the appt?  I found it helpful to have another set of ears at the appt.

It was also helpful to ask who you can speak to if you have any questions later.  I found the minute i left the appt., a question would pop into my head! 

All the best at your appt.  Let us know how it goes!  Kim
Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Shane on Jun 18, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi Vincent,
Vdixon223‍ 

I hope everything is going well for you and you got the answers that you needed.

Shane