Bladder cancer radical cystectomy

Bladder cancer radical cystectomy

Posted by gordr on Sep 21, 2020 11:30 am

Looks like I need to have the bladder removed. I have a high risk tumor that has repeated after treatment although everything indicates it is contained within the bladder after two TURB procedures. So if I get it out I have two options. The ileal conduit or the stuber pouch. I meet all of the criteria for the stuber pouch and so would like some feedback on which option I should exercise. Your help is appreciated.

Re: Bladder cancer radical cystectomy

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Sep 21, 2020 11:37 am

Welcome gordr‍ 

I'm glad you found our community!

I did a search for 'radical cystectomy' and found the following discussion threads that may interest you:https://cancerconnection.ca/search?search_filters%5Bcontent%5D=forums&query=radical+cystectomy. To connect with someone who has posted hit reply and tag them by typing the @ symbol and their username.

I hope this helps,
Lacey

Posted by Clarke on Sep 22, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi gordr
Just had an anniversary dinner for 1 year since discharge from hospital after my radical cystectomy!
i chose the ileal conduit or external bag attached to my leg.  It required building a new exit tube for urine through my abdomen, using a piece of my lower intestine.
The exit point, or stoma, is still being cleaned and dressed by my nurse twice a week, as my wife and I can not do it. The external tube and bag are changed weekly.   
I have been very satisfied with the process and my resulting life changes.
If you have questions, let me know and I will let you know,,,
Clarke Edward, Cancer Free for a Year😃😀

Posted by Clarke on Oct 20, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi, gordr‍ 
How are you doing?
Which method did you end up choosing?
Surgery upcoming, or done?

As I retired 20 years ago, I have taken ample recovery time and am available as an experienced, cancer-free survivor.

Clarke

Posted by Boby1511 on Oct 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Clarke‍ 
You are so open. Thank you for sharing part of your cancer story.
Do they not attempt maybe just radiation for bladder cancer if tiny? 

Posted by Clarke on Oct 21, 2020 11:42 am

That could well be.  Mine was very large.