Bladder Cancer Intro and Support

Bladder Cancer Intro and Support

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 14, 2020 2:09 pm

Hello Everyone!

I was hoping to pull together some of our members with bladder cancer and caregivers to share and connect with each other. It can be so so helpful to talk to somebody going through something similar. Let's start a support thread here!
  • When were you diagnosed with bladder cancer?
  • What treatment did you have? (surgery, chemo, rad etc)
  • How are you doing today?
  • What would you tell someone newly diagnosed with bladder cancer?
All are welcome!

Warriorprincess‍, livingwithbladdercancer‍, lisac‍, Emzee‍, davieskk‍, FayeMarie‍, Stevenmussell‍, Annamarie444‍, ssgirl‍. Bubbiewarrior‍, SunnysMom‍, sammy72‍  can you start us off?

Re: Bladder Cancer Intro and Support

Posted by Warriorprincess on Jul 14, 2020 4:08 pm

Hi I'am Liz aka warriorprincess . I was diagnosed with bladder cancer 4 years ago . My cancer did not spread through the wall of my bladder, this allowed me to participate in the BCG programm
 The imonotherspy was a  series of 8 treatments .  I was treated with a form of the tuburclosis virus (yikes) . I still have check ups every 6 months, next check up September. Life has returned to normal , I am very active bike riding,  walking , pole walking , swimming and I LOVE my crafts .
To anyone  newly diagnosed,  never give up. A positive way of thinking is very important to your well being now and as you go through treatment . 
Always here for help , just message me :)

Compassion has no limit , kindness has no enemy

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Warriorprincess‍ 

Liz- SO so good to hear from you! Glad you are doing well 😊

Thank you for always being willing to share and help others!

Lacey

Posted by Cooper2019 on Jul 14, 2020 7:14 pm

I was diagnosed on December 21, 2019.   
My first surgery was December 23rd to remove three blueberry sized tumours T1.   
My second surgery was February 19, 2020 where Dr scraped the bladder wall tissue.  T2 diagnosis resulted. Luckily no spreading anywhere else.  
I started chemo May 8 and will finish July 24.    After 4-6 weeks break I will have bladder removed at Prince Margaret.  
Staying positive with lots of family support.    
No loss of appetite or taste.  Watching the “covid 15” doesn’t creep in with fatigue and lack of exercise.    

Posted by Clarke on Jul 15, 2020 10:57 pm

I am Clarke Edward,survivor!  

My tumor was diagnosed March 2019 and I chose a radical cystectomy, completed that July.  A week in hospital turned into 2 months in hospital and rehab, due to subsequent hernia surgery.  Home since September,  I get 2 visits a week from a nurse to care for my stoma and nephrostomy sites and tubes.  I have returned to Toronto General Hospital to have the nephrostomy tube replaced.  

Regular tests show no sign of cancer return and I have almost no pain, other than from my tubes shifting.  

But I am a shadow of my old self.  Using a walker in the apartment and walking about half a block a day, no chance to help with mowing or house maintenance Or even driving the car!

Yes, I am a fortunate and thankful survivor, living well, but not living the life I had hoped to return to.

Clarke Edward

Posted by MCoaster on Jul 16, 2020 12:04 am

Welcome Clarke‍ and thank you for joining us here.   The life you live now is certainly very different to the one you envisaged and I am so sorry it turned out that way.   It must be so stressful to put it mildly to come to terms with the physical and emotional impacts.   It is reassuring that you are now cancer clear.    Would the involvement of an occupational therapist help?   Do you have any adaptive equipment?

Every one in this community has been touched by cancer either as someone who has the diagnosis or their caregiver and I hope you will find this a place to safely express yourself and also find others who relate to bladder cancer and the treatments.   I know that if you wish to share it will also help others.  

There are many forums and groups etc which I suggest you explore and, when you wish, to post in.  If there is no topic which addresses your needs please feel free to start one.   An initial place to start is “Introduce Yourself” or perhaps “bladder” in “Cancer Type”.

I am happy to answer any questions which you may have.

Healing thoughts.

MCoaster.

Posted by Bambam on Jul 16, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi....I am currently a very active 72 year old lady..power walk daily and do pilates/yoga/step/weights for 30 minutes most nights...I have bladder cancer (& breast cancer) ..Bladder cancer diagnoses 2003..(wow-17 years ago)..and since that initial diagnosis have had 20 small-medium  tumours removed..(cystoscope yearly)..in remission for 7 years...
have had no “treatments”...just became more aware of my health...ie: increased exercise And healthy eating...so far..so good..

Posted by ValMul on Aug 8, 2020 6:03 am

Good Morning everyone.  My husband has just been diagnosed with bladder cancer.  It was discovered through an ultra-sound.  He was being treated for an infection, the doctor decided to take it a step higher and ordered an ultra-sound.  His pain and discomfort had become so bad we went to emergency Thursday night.  We have not met up with the urologist yet, we meet August 20th.  but because of his discomfort he has had many test and procedures done to reduce his pain.  (kidney's were not functioning).
Because of the Covid19 I am not able to be with him until he is admitted into his own room, hopefully that will happen today.  So we have been chatting on the phone or texting each other. Right now our information is quite limited, he has been told he will be having chemo for the cancer.  
I am in a bit of a fog...last week we were quite healthy...this week a new path is starting... just want to keep things positive for us.

Posted by Brighty on Aug 8, 2020 9:01 am

ValMul‍  good morning  and nice to meet you.   You will find help and support  here for your self and your husband.    So sorry for the diagnosis.      There are some discussion groups here you might like to join under 'forums ' and cancer types.     Click under bladder cancer.    We also have a caregiver discussion where caregivers share their tips and coping strategies.     I'd like you to meet a few others who have had or have bladder cancer.   
ssgirl‍ 
Emzee‍ 
Cooper‍ 
Clarke‍ 
if you need any more information in the meantime  you can call our cancer info line at 1888 939 3333.    Let us know what you learn on August 20th.   We are here to support you through.      
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Brighty on Aug 8, 2020 9:09 am

ValMul‍ 
sorry I meant to tag Liz, 
Warriorprincess‍ .
hi Liz.     Would you be able to help out our new member ValMul‍ 
whose husband was just diagnosed  with bladder  cancer.  ? Thank you so much.    
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.