+ Reply
Hypermetabolic…Huh?
D’Rocker
19 Posts

English please 😉

Hypermetabolic, irregular subpleural nodule in the right upper lobe (SUV 5.8, 13mm)

What does hypermetabolic mean?

SUV = Standardized uptake value: The amount of tracer that was absorbed

The number is 5.8 but can anyone tell me what the range is or how I might be able to find a chart.

Would I be correct in interpreting this as a 13mm nodule in the RUL that is likely malignant BUT obviously would need to be confirmed by biopsy.

Thank you and Merry Christmas 🎄

Carrie

2 Replies
Cynthia Mac
4217 Posts

@D’Rocker

I found the following information about the term “hypermetabolic” on the Mayo Clinic website:

Regarding metabolic activity.
"A PET scan (positron emission tomography) works to identify areas of hypermetabolic activity anywhere in the body. A radioactive substance is given to the patient and this attaches to glucose, which is attracted to cells that are hypermetabolic. When the scan is done, these areas "light up." Often, but not always, cancer cells fall into this category of being hypermetabolic. In addition, not everything that is hypermetabolic is cancer."

I wasn’t able to locate a chart for “SUV” - I’m not sure if that would even be useful information.

So, given this information, I would rewrite your statement, “a 13mm nodule in the RUL that is likely malignant BUT obviously would need to be confirmed by biopsy.” as “a 13mm nodule in the RUL that may be cancerous.”

Try to hold onto what you know for sure, and right now, this is what you know for sure.

Merry Christmas. May you find some of the peace of the season as you deal with this tumultuous information.

D’Rocker
19 Posts

@Cynthia Mac

Thank you Cynthia 😃

Wishing you the very best of the holiday season 🎄

+ Reply