+ Reply
Irregular Nodular Opacities
D’Rocker
12 Posts

Hi,

I am a 54 year old female with a history of thyroid cancer. Thyroid and cancer removed in 2014, one dose of radiation therapy and have been cancer free since.

Last week during a CT scan of my head/neck (unrelated health issue) the scan picked up the following: Two irregular nodular opacities in the right upper lobe. One measuring 12mm, the other 16mm adjacent to one another. Nodular opacities in the right upper lobe of indeterminate etiology.

I am being scheduled for a follow up CT scan of my chest only in 3-4 weeks “to allow for assessment of any change if these are infectious or inflammatory nodules.”

Other health issues: I have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (heart disease) and multiple sclerosis.

Curious as to people’s experiences.

Thank you,

Carrie

6 Replies
S2020
1401 Posts
@D’Rocker

Welcome to Cancer Connection.

I am glad you found this supportive community while you wait for your chest CT scan. Waiting can be difficult. I encourage you to avoid Google searches, and turn to your medical team and reputable sites for reliable information.

I heard a doctor say that the problem with CT scans is that they find things while they are too small and, often, benign.

Depending on size and whether or not the nodules are changing, a doctor may recommend a biopsy.

Wishing you a good outcome with your chest CT scan. I hope you have activities, interests and family/friends to distract you while you wait. The Cancer Connection community is here for you, too.

D’Rocker
12 Posts

@S2020
Hi and thank you for your reply.

Can you recommend some reputable sites?

Carrie

Cynthia Mac
4215 Posts

@D’Rocker - when you write “upper right lobe” my mind automatically thinks “lung” but are we still talking about your thyroid?

My Dad had lung cancer, so naturally, that’s where my mind goes.

You ask about reliable sites. The Canadian Cancer Society site has several publications for both lung and thyroid cancers, along with some other general information such as what patients awaiting treatment can expect. They also have a community services locator (csl.cancer.ca) site where you can find resources in your area.

Because you have other health issues, your health care team is going to be your best source of information. My thought is that some of the information you’re going to find on websites will be very general in nature, and may not apply to you because of them.

For now, rather than searching out additional information about what may be going on, my suggestion would be to busy yourself setting up your living environment and organizing things for yourself so that no matter what comes up in your situation, you’ve don’t have to worry about preparing meals from scratch, the batteries in the smoke detector, or whatever else that might cross your mind.

For my Dad, I set him up with a tabbed notebook with sections for contacts and medication lists, upcoming appointments, questions to ask at appointments, and a section just for anything he needed to jot down, even if it was just that he took his pills at 10 p.m.

S2020
1401 Posts
@D’Rocker

I hope you have an upcoming date for the chest CT by now.

I read “right upper lobe” and “CT scan of chest” in your post, and thought you meant lung nodules.

However, in reading CynthiaMac’s response, I realized you could have meant your thyroid (a thyroid has two lobes, I think, and shows in a chest CT) so I edited my initial response. She posted very helpful suggestions, too!

Either way-lung or thyroid-wishing you the best possible outcome with the follow up CT scan.

D’Rocker
12 Posts

@Cynthia Mac

Hi Cynthia, thank you for replying to my post.

Sorry, it was confusing. I meant lung. I have two irregular nodules that were located in my right lung. I did have thyroid cancer and in 2014 had it removed.

I understand what you’re saying about staying focused on other things, I was just hoping to connect with others who are in the same wait and see place that I am.

Appreciate your message,

Carrie

D’Rocker
12 Posts

@S2020
Hi and thank you for your message, I appreciate it.

I previously had thyroid cancer, it was removed and I‘ve been cancer free since.

Recently two irregular nodules were found on my right lung and I don’t have a follow up CT scan booked yet, still waiting for a date. As I mentioned above to Cynthia, I was just hoping to connect with someone who might be going through the same thing as I am right now. I understand that I don’t even know what’s going on yet just sometimes it’s nice to be able to have someone to talk to who understands.

Thanks again for your message,

Carrie

+ Reply