+ Reply
I don't trust my GP
Ksebs79
9 Posts

Hello there, I am absolutely going out of my mind at this point!!
I had a Biopsy a week ago was told the results would be in today August (24) I went to my Dr. today for antibiotics and then asked if he'd received my results yet.
HE said "No" then showed me what the hospital did send him.
It was a form asking if he wanted to go with one of their Surgeon's or if he wanted to pick one of his own. He then said No news is good news and the longer you wait the less important the biopsy result" this drove me crazy!! I wanted to scram!
1.What the hell does the Form mean?
2.Why is that the only thing he's received from the Hospital?
3.The Pathology report hasn't been sent to him yet,why on earth did he receive the “pick a surgeon”email
​​​​

9 Replies
Runner Girl
2998 Posts

@Ksebs79
Ok, your GP sounds as bad as mine was. I'm sorry this has happened. Saying no news is good news is really just ridiculous.

My biopsy results were delayed, and this was before covid. I had to wait an additional week for them. I was found to have breast cancer! When my GP finally had my results he opened with “well, you're having a really bad year, you have cancer". I nearly punched him! But wait, it gets better - when I was discharged back to him after my treatment ended and I was trying to discuss the side effects I was having he started to tell me they weren't from the anastrozole I was on but from chemo - really, cause I had no issues before this drug. And then he told me I needed to “get over it”, cause you know what stress can do. I fired him!

I'm in Alberta so I am not sure what that form is about.

@Ksebs79
Hello - I can understand you feeling that way. Your Dr does seem to be a bit cavalier about the situation. I won't pretend to know what is going on but it is possible that the biopsy results were not yet sent/received, but to have found that whatever they were looking at, they feel will need to come out. Hence a need for a surgeon. That does not mean it is malignant - many benign lumps and bumps are removed also.

Might be a good idea to check back in with the GP tomorrow to a) see if the report is back and b) have them clarify the surgeon request and what they are doing about it.

Sorry you have been left with so many questions. Let us know what you hear as you are comfortable.

Lianne

Ksebs79
9 Posts

@Lianne_Moderator Thank-you,I know it could be benign and trust me that's All I want to hear,I just wish It weren't taking so long and I wish there was more explanation as to why they sent him that first? He seems to think it was an error. Idk

@Ksebs79
the waiting is the absolute worst! I hope you can get some clarity asap.

Lianne

Ksebs79
9 Posts

@Lianne_moderator Thank-you ❤️

Brighty
8589 Posts

@Ksebs79 I'm so sorry this happened to you. My family doctor was something too. He's only known me my whole life, but asked me how my kids were. Dont have kids. I think he mixed me up with another patient???? Then when I proceeded to tell him my issues he fell asleep. I know I'm boring but come on!!! Then when he woke up he said 'oh you're fine you're fine." And sent me out the door without the requisitions I needed for referrals. …..after being in the waiting room for 4 hours. Needless to say I have a new one. Anyway, i hope you get to the bottom of this soon , keep calling and persisting! Let us know what you find out. Whatever it is, this site is here to support you .

Ksebs79
9 Posts
Brighty‍ Thank-you so much and my goodness what's with all these crappy GP's?! I'm sorry you have to deal with this stress. ❤️
Cynthia Mac
4125 Posts
Ksebs79‍ , I know we rely on our doctors to do things that are in our bodies’ best interest, but here are a few ideas of things you can do during this wait:

- get his receptionist on-side. Have a chat with that person (bearing in mind that the doctor might be equally frustrating for them) to see if you can gain an ally in this. My Dad even used to buy his doctor’s staff chocolates at Christmas time. I’m not saying you need to go that far, but sometimes a receptionist can score you a phone call or appointment, or even just knowledge (oh, yes, the test came back last week. I’ll have the doctor give you a call.)
- you can do an “end run” - call the hospital to say your doctor hasn’t received your results yet, and ask when he can expect them. Sometimes, that will lead to a dismayed “oh, we sent them to his office on Aug. xx”
- start recording your experiences. Get a notebook and record your appointments or events, or log these things on a calendar. If the ineptitude continues,
- start writing letters. Start with his office, with the chain of events and clearly asking your questions. If you don’t get the necessary appointments or results, again, you’ll have a record of your effort to get them.
- If that continues, you can write to the hospital where he has privileges, and if that doesn’t get any results, as a final step, you can write to the College of Physicians and Surgeons for your province.

When it comes to our health, “no news” isn’t “good news.” It’s “no news.” And, while the situation could have been brewing in our bodies for months or years, once we know it’s there, it’s natural to want it gone now, not later.

I hope these suggestions can help you get to your answers.

#gettinganswers #dealingwithdoctors
Phil0110
9 Posts

@Ksebs79
the waiting sucks, I'm sending you support and care.

+ Reply