+ Reply
Alcohol should have cancer warning labels, say doctors and researchers pushing to raise awareness of risk
ACH2015
2220 Posts

"It's shocking. In an information era, we have warning labels on everything I can think of. I bought my kids fishing rods this summer, and their fishing rods have warning labels that say this fishing rod can cause cancer. Whereas, you know, a level-one carcinogen that is everywhere has no particular warnings on it."

That is a paragraph from this article I found today on CBC News.

Everything in moderation - and or not at all. My my, how times and attitudes of risk change.

Read the article

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/alcohol-warning-labels-cancer-1.6304816

ACH2015

12 Replies
Brighty
8197 Posts

I'm not sure that warning labels would make a difference @ACH2015 . Look at all the warning labels on cigarettes, and yet people still smoke despite them. Many people think they are invincible, and it wont happen to them. Interesting discussion topic, though, thanks for sending. What do others on here think about this article?

ACH2015
2220 Posts

@Brighty

If you manufacture a product with known risk - there is a responsibility to advise the consumer of the risk. If you choose to ignore the risk - so be it. If you as a consumer are unaware of a risk - there becomes a legal wrong committed by the manufacturer. For decades there has been J & J embroiled in a cancer claim against their baby powder that has lawsuits settled that the talc may cause ovarian cancer due to the asbestos contained within, J& J failed to put that risk on the label. That claim is settled in the hundreds of millions and there is now a more concerted effort to test the talc before putting it into a white shaker bottle. J & J settled due to gross negligence and when companies are aware of a risk - the onus is on them to advise consumers of that risk.

If you are a manufacturer - you best let your consumer base become aware of the potential risks of using their product. What's that old saying - you can pay me now - or pay me later. And in part - some people do choose to ignore the warnings and roll the dice with their health.

The bottom line is - no one needs cancer due to not being made aware of the inherent risk of any product. Because when you have terminal cancer, its too late to call 1 800 talk law.

ACH2015

Runner Girl
2449 Posts

@ACH2015 , @Brighty

Then to take it a step further, all products that contain parabens should also be labelled a cancer risk. Can you imagine a cancer risk label on your hand cream, shampoo, moisturizer, etc??

Runner Girl

Something that I have grown up hearing is “you never mix drugs with alcohol”. And yet during Chemo teach they told me that it was ok to have alcohol (in moderation) while on chemo. What!!

Speaking of cigarettes, totally baffles me seeing the people outside of hospitals (dragging an iv pole) smoking cigarettes. I even know someone who won't get the covid vaccine (doesn't know what's in it) and yet is a cigarette smoker.

ACH2015
2220 Posts

@Runner Girl

Known risk should be disclosed regardless of the product. Manufacturers have a responsibility to share known risks with consumers, and the smart ones do it as not to be sued en masse. The not so smart ones get sued like J & J and lose. But so too have their clients.

ACH2015

ACH2015
2220 Posts

@Buffythevampire

Addiction is a terrible thing and mars clear thinking in many. It took me 3 decades to start and quit smoking. Banning cigarettes should not be rocket science - but it is apparently.

Looking out for future generations in the environmental, and in what we consume and inhale, inject, ingest and absorb is paramount. There is risk in many of our treatments - simple radiation and follow up scans - but we weigh those risks and balance those risks with need. There is a big difference, and it too boils down to being educated as to the risks of what and why we do what we do.

ACH2015

JustJan
1291 Posts

@ACH2015 thanks for sharing this information. I honestly had never heard about the link to cancer and alcohol. I agree with @Runner Girl where does it stop. Perhaps we all need to assume that everything has the potential to cause cancer. The number of products would be far too extensive and the labelling of everything would just water down the message. People will still drink, just like they still smoke because they feel they are immortal and cancer won't happen to them. I wonder if the people who drank and were diagnosed, would have paid attention to the message prior to their diagnosis? I am thinking not. It certainly is a catch 22.

Brighty
8197 Posts

You all make excellent points @ACH2015 @Runner Girl and @Buffythevampire . And yup, my fiance was one of those who smoked and drank right through chemo despite a stage 4 cancer diagnosis. He knew the risks, but was too addicted to stop. Yes, manufacturers do have the responsibility to disclose the risks, and it's up to us to decide whether to take those risks. You said something about everything in moderation. Some people dont do moderation. Addictions are very very hard to overcome as we well know. Some people have addictive tendencies, so once they start something, they are all in.

Brighty
8197 Posts

They will never ban cigarettes @ACH2015 !the tobacco companies need to make their $$$$$. Good points too @JustJan …potentially everything can cause cancer…how far do we take this?

Very good discussion.

ACH2015
2220 Posts

@JustJan

It boils down to manufacturers advising consumers of the related potential risks of using / consuming their products. Where does it stop? It does not. Read the warning labels on anything out there today - most people just ignore the fine print. Alcohol is widely consumed and is a known carcinogen - that is not labeled as such and that is the whole point of the article.

Buyer beware does not cut the mustard anymore, and we should not have to read every article printed to be made aware of potential hazards. It's amazing how many people are naive to everyday hazards, and this should change.

ACH2015

Trillium
1763 Posts

It’s equivalent to tobacco and asbestos risk!? Definitely should be labeled. This is a great article. Thanks for posting it.

The CCS has alcohol rated as a risk factor with explanation on their website here. Many people would be surprised by this. I know I was when I first saw this web page below.

https://cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/reduce-your-risk

elle29
899 Posts

Thanx @JustJan OMG and I was told I could with my treatment occasionally . Why don’t Health medical staff know this ? Especially our physicians, Oncologists ?
It’s like everything for $ & business is keeping consumers oblivious .

…So why would our Physicians withhold or not receive notices on this , is beyond belief . For such as this lady dévastéd in tears and researchers, make facts aware ? .Perhaps a study on contents of alcohol has not been done yet ?

That says a lot some of us already know that alcohol has a lot of sugar in it too . Maybe that’s the culprit ? Some of us having PET scans know that it checks images of uptake of “cells with sugar .” To identify cancers I was told and did. Confirming Mets, spread showing in lungs .

For profit gains ;

Same for flooding areas called watersheds or flood plains . A govt report from an Environmental Engineer of some sort ? Was stating in the report these areas like Meridith BC should not build there ! Now our govt is giving funds to rebuild ?

+ Reply