+ Reply
How Long Does the Testing Until Treatment Take?
MTR1988
8 Posts

How long does it take when testing first starts until a final diagnosis? It'll be 3 months for my mom until she gets a final diagnosis and there's been a drastic change since the last month. It's been about a month since she's gotten to the point where she can't leave the house due to discomfort, pain, and mobility issues. I can't help but feel this is purposely not being made a priority from the oncologist.

6 Replies
Brighty
8197 Posts

@MTR1988 what type of tests are they doing for your mom?

JustJan
1291 Posts

@MTR1988 it depends on the type of cancer and patient complexity. I know for me, from my biopsy until I had surgery for my breast cancer and got the final pathology report, it was pretty close to three months I would say before I got the final diagnosis. Is the oncologist aware of your mom's changing health status? Have you called the cancer triage line at your facility? I know it seems like things are moving very slowly when we are waiting on answers but sometimes things really do take some time. Perhaps talk to the oncologist's nurse, and she can may be able to better explain things to you.

I hope you can get some answers that will help ease your mind.

MTR1988
8 Posts

Ultrasound done of her abdomen and legs already done, but that was request by the walk-in clinic doctor and she just had to wait a few days for an appointment. One basic blood test was done, I had to request a CA125 test as it seemed to be ignored (we don't know the results). She had a biopsy done November 15th (that was clear), an MRI done November 26th, had a follow up phone appointment wth the oncologist a couple weeks after only to find out she wants to do more testing. But in the meantime her mobility issues drastically worsened, resulted in her missing another biopsy on Monday. I called to reschedule immediately Monday but they only returned the call today, that's been moved to January 24th. However she still has a CAT scan booked for the 14th and then an in person follow up with the oncologist on the 30th. So her missing the appointment still doesn't affect the what I assume is the finalized diagnosis.

MTR1988
8 Posts

Well she appears to have ovarian from what I can understand and metastatic in her uterus. I spoke with the nurse practitioner working with the oncologist (the oncologist was on vacation), she just said make sure she's eating and if it gets worse, take her to the ER. That was when she was vomiting more. My mom is the type of person to tough it out, so we figured out some stuff to help her out and it was a bit more manageable for her. But it eventually came to a point when she had to go to the ER and I told the nurse working for the oncologist, it was just ignored. We went to the ER and the doctor there was surprised she was still going through testing and that we didn't understand the severity of the situation. He setup a nurse to make house calls along with a personal doctor. They're just making sure she has access to pain medication and are checking her vitals every week. But seeing her situation change that fast in a month, I'm worried to think of a month from now.

Brighty
8197 Posts

@MTR1988 im so sorry ….I'm going to give you the cancer info line who may be better able to help you. 1 888 939 3333. Every cancer is different and every situation is different…plus now covid in the mix. With My fiance everything seemed to go in 2 week increments… endoscopy, ,biopsy. ..results..treatment.. they pushed for him because he was young. Your mom is lucky to have you advocate with/for her. Just keep pushing until you get some answers and a plan of action. Dont accept being pushed under the radar.

MTR1988
8 Posts

Thank you so much! I'll give them a call Monday. Trying to get a hold of her oncologist, left a message and no returned call. Tried to call the palliative doctor, they're on vacation for two weeks and there's no one to take over. Called a local hospital to us, the one my mom visited for the ER but unfortunately they don't offer cancer biopsies.

+ Reply