+ Reply
Doctors, advocates call for changes to breast cancer screening guidelines
ACH2015
2220 Posts

From CBC News Dec. 09/21

Doctors, advocates call for changes to breast cancer screening guidelines

“The paper adds to the long-standing and polarizing debate over whether women in their 40s should get regular mammograms and has prompted some organizations and family doctors to call on the Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care to review the new evidence and change its guidelines. Those guidelines are then passed on to the provinces, which set their own policies”.

"The allegations … are concerning," the Canadian Cancer Society wrote in a statement, and should be "taken seriously and investigated" according to the group's executive vice-president of mission, research and advocacy, Dr. Stuart Edmonds.

Know your risks, family history and trust your instincts. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention.

ACH2015

4 Replies
Brighty
8197 Posts

Thank you for posting this @ACH2015 . Since I'm 48 my doctor keeps telling me I'm too young to get a mammogram. All he has to do is read posts on here to see all the women under 50 getting diagnosed!!!! I hope guidelines are changed..it would save a lot of lives!!!

Runner Girl
2449 Posts

@ACH2015 @Brighty

I had my first “baseline” mammogram at 40. They found a large lump in my left breast. After many tests and a lumpectomy it was determined I had atypical lobular hypoplasia - not cancer, but the next best thing to it, if left in place guaranteed to be cancer in 10-15 years. Fast forward 12 years and I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in my right breast. After my cancer treatment ended 2 lesions were found in my left breast that are under surveillance.

Was always told my breasts were “lumpy”. No discussion of density or excessive estrogen in my body. Had I known of these issues I could have taken more corrective actions in those 12 years.

Women need to be more informed, period.

Runner Girl

#Breastcancer #earlydetection

ashcon
2093 Posts

@Brighty

You have the unenviable benefit of hearing too many stories here of women in their 40s (and younger) getting cancer!

Check out this information from mybreastscreening.ca. Scroll down to the section, What Can You Say to Your Health Care Provider when he/she won't give you a requisition. (this link takes you to Ontario page but there's a similar page on this site for each province.)

And this little video from Dr Seeley (in Ottawa) who says “any woman in her 40s across Canada is allowed to have a screening mammogram”.

I hope this arms you with the confidence to stand your ground on this topic. I don't think doctors are being intentionally difficult in most cases. It is thought that they are, themselves, misinformed.

Brighty
8197 Posts
Thank you so much for sending this ashcon‍ !!!!!!!
+ Reply