+ Reply
Who worked up until treatment?
ABBYB
37 Posts

I am finally feeling like I need to decide what my next step will be when it comes to my job. I could continue work up until all these tests are done. But as it gets closer I am finding myself feeling emotional and worried about having to share that with co-workers. I dont' want people consoling me or giving me that forced smile where they look like they feel sorry for me. I also want to keep busy. But I do have the option to just slow down and take that extra time off before treatments or a plan is in place.

HELP me…whats going to make me feel better?

5 Replies
ACH2015
2147 Posts

Hi @ABBYB

I saw your post, and there is much to consider. My situation required leaving work (unknown primary cancer - not breast) and the variables are many. I found the link below on the CCS website. Give it a look and read. It may help with these decisions.

Keep well.

ACH2015

https://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/living-with-cancer/practical-matters/work-and-cancer/?region=on

Runner Girl
2144 Posts

Hi @ABBYB

I worked throughout my treatment, found it to be a good distraction. Didn't feel I would benefit from being at home with too much time to think.

Everyone is different. Hopefully you find some great information in the link that @ACH2015 has provided.

Runner Girl

ABBYB
37 Posts

Thanks, I will have a look at this.

chrys21
132 Posts
Hi ABBYB
My journey began in late Nov 2020 when I found a lump. Mammo, ultrasound, biopsy and MRI in December and treatment began with surgery late January.
I worked through the diagnosis phase, it was a good distraction and I have a few good friends at work who were a source of support. I was at home however, which for me made a difference. Not sure I would have wanted to see everyone at work in person during that very stressful time.
Once I had surgery I went on sick leave and stayed off on short term disability until my treatments were complete. And now I’m back.
Work is a great distraction as I spend a lot of time still thinking about cancer. These days it’s worries about recurrence that occupy my mind sometimes - but when I’m at work - it’s a break. I’m still working from home too so that is definitely easier.
My treatments took place at the peak of both waves and I had my kids at home remote learning and I was really overwhelmed. I didn’t have the mental energy to work at that time.
I think it’s such a personal decision - I wish you all the best.
ABBYB
37 Posts
Im literally sitting here at work, waiting to hear from Doctor about the bone scan. Its like you cant wait to do the test but when its time to face the results you don't want to know! And this is just 1 of many. But it never gets any easier. Send me positive vibes please. Im having a good day, and I would like the rest of the day to go well too
+ Reply