+ Reply
Diagonsed with Testicular Cancer
E9023
5 Posts
I was recently diagnosed with testicular cancer this was confirmed after having a radical orchiectomy surgery and the biopsy results. I had a CT scan after the surgery which came back saying it had spread to one of my lymph nodes. I have an appointment with the oncologist in a couple weeks. What should I expect at this appointment. Just trying to wrap my head around all this as I am very anxious as I feel there was no real time to think. Staying as positive as I can I am glad the doctor put me off work because of the surgery I would not be mentally good at my job right now. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated :)
19 Replies
Trillium
1229 Posts
Welcome, E9023‍ ! So glad you joined us but wish I was welcoming you to a more fun club. We are a very supportive group though.

My son had the same surgery and recovered very well. When he got to the oncologist it was this doctor that actually gave him his full diagnosis if stage 3 cancer and he started chemotherapy the next week. He is now cancer free.

They move pretty quick so depending on your diagnosis from the oncologist he/she will guide you through the next steps. The cancer centre where my son was treated was fabulous. Great nurses and doctors plus the whole centre ran like a well oiled machine.

Here is the CCS guide to testicular cancer.
https://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-type/testicular/testicular-cancer/?region=on

There is a testicular cancer forum under the cancer types forum.

This guide below is also helpful when we are newly diagnosed.
https://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/living-with-cancer/newly-diagnosed/?region=on
Trillium
1229 Posts
Iggy331DViegasdster2400

Hope you can offer some wisdom to help out E9023‍ .
Iggy331
25 Posts
Thanks for the tag Trillium‍.

Hey E9023‍!

I’m a fellow testicular cancer survivor, almost 2 years ago. I had surgery only at the time. Had an appointment last week and it looks like it has spread into a lymph node as well for me now. Looks like we will be walking this part of the path together! Know you’re not alone, reach out and vent, ask questions. Don’t read into doctor Google too much. Above all, try and stay positive. As for what to expect in the future? That will be tough to tell, as it depends on lots of different factors. I havent had experience on this part of my journey yet but possibly chemo? If you’re able to, take a support person with you. Take notes, come up with a list of questions before you go. I like putting questions in my phone, as I’ll randomly think of stuff throughout my day and I will forget if I don’t jot them down right away. My experience with my oncologist and his team is fantastic, I have nothing but good things to say about them. They have never rushed me and took time to explain anything i had concerns about.

stay strong and keep us in the loop!

E9023
5 Posts
Hey,

Thank you for replying to my post I really appreciate it. Trust me Dr. Google is not a good place to be on that's why I looked out for a group or forum instead. We will walk this path together and stay strong and positive and I will do the same. I will keep you updated as well and if you want you can keep me updated on here chat soon
​​​
DViegas
10 Posts
Thank you for tagging me Trillium‍ !

I'm really sorry to hear about the news E9023‍ . I was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer in May of last year. I am coming up on one year since that day. I know exactly what you are going through...it is a lot. Feel free to ask me anything about the surgery/staging and the mental health aspect.

In the meantime my favorite resource is the Reddit Testicular Cancer Subreddit (link). The people there are extremely supportive and know a lot about the process. I really encourage you to post there and ask for some help.
dster2400
27 Posts
E9023

Sorry to hear about your cancer, I had testicular cancer back in Fall of 2000. I had the original surgery, and that cleared the cancer. Following that I had regular appointments, blood test, scans etc. In February of 2002, during one of my scheduled appointments, it was discovered that the cancer had returned, they never mentioned my lymph nodes. I was put on a regiment of 4 sessions of chemo with a two week break between sessions. That was able to clear the cancer no problems since.

In 2018, I developed an unrelated cancer - skin cancer. I have had a lot more difficulty handling this one, but one thing that I have found that helps is sharing your experience with others, that helped me control my anxieties. Of course you can choose what you are comfortable with sharing. I know these days are especially hard to stay positive with everything that happening.

dster2400

Trillium
1229 Posts
Iggy331‍ - so sorry to hear you had return of your cancer. Do you have supports at home?

#Testicularorchiectomy #Testicular
Iggy331
25 Posts
Trillium‍ not confirmed yet, have a biopsy scheduled for Monday. Fingers crossed! Yeah I have support at home.
E9023
5 Posts
Iggy331‍ wishing you the best at your appointment. I am also glad to hear you have support at home.
MCoaster
568 Posts
Hi Iggy331
Sorry to hear. Will be thinking of you on Monday and when you get the results. Toes crossed as well!
MCoaster
All the best Iggy331

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Lacey
Trillium
1229 Posts
Iggy331‍ - glad you have support at home! My thoughts are with you for your biopsy. Let us know when you get your results.
E9023
5 Posts
Update:
I wanted to provide everyone with an update that jas replied to this post it has been a blessing and helpful on my mental health. My oncologist apointment they diagnosed me with stage 1 testicular cancer and the oncologists seem really sure they got everything in the surgery. I had a hernia repair surgery done at the same time as the radical orchiectomy. The CT scan showed a small round mass which was the thought of the cancer spreading as thisnis what was told to me by the urologist as this was what was in the biopsy report. When the oncologists went over ot woth me they are pretty sure that they think it is trauma in the pelvic area from the hernia surgery. The blood work shows the tumour markers are where they need to be I now just have to wait for another CT scan in 6 weeks to see if that round mass is healing or if it could be something more. Once that is all cleared they will start me on a 5 year active survalance where I will need to go for blood work and CT scans a couple times a year. So now just a waiting game for the CT scan and now they suggest I head back to work to feel normal again. I will provode another update again once I have the CT results. If you have any questions please feel free to let me know and I will do my best to reply to them.
Trillium
1229 Posts
That’s great news so far E9023‍ ! Please do keep us updated and wish you all the best for your next scans!

Iggy331
25 Posts
Wanted to update you all as well, had my biopsy last week, results today. I am still all clear, biopsy was normal! This also marks my second year all clear, on to year 3. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts you guys..
MCoaster
568 Posts
Iggy331
Big sighs of relief - congratulations 🥳.
Now you can a beautiful summer with your family.
MCoaster
Trillium
1229 Posts
Yay Iggy331‍ ! Such good news! I’m breathing a big sigh of relief for you and your family. Enjoy the year ahead.

Cheers
E9023
5 Posts
Amazing News for you and your family. Now to enjoy the Summer.
dster2400
27 Posts
That's great news Iggy@331. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy the summer. That must be a huge relief.
+ Reply