+ Reply
unilateral or bilateral breast surgery
Tommy
2 Posts
hello, i am not sure i am in the right group. sorry i am new here. i am hoping to hear from women who have made a decision about whether to have one or both breasts removed. one of my breasts does not have cancer but i am seriously considering having it removed at the same time as the other. this would be a preventive measure and also for other health reasons and because of the awkwardness of dealing with one breast. i am 70 years old. thank you.
3 Replies
JustJan
449 Posts
Tommy‍ when I was diagnosed in January 2019, I was offered a lumpectomy or a single mastectomy. I asked about a bilateral mastectomy and they wouldn't entertain it because there was nothing wrong with the breast and it put me at increased for risk of infection. I think every person's circumstances and type of cancer might dictate whether taking the healthy breast is a viable option. Have you been given the option of having a bilateral mastectomy? In my case I ended up with a lumpectomy because having one breast was definitely not a good option for me as I am very large busted (and I'm not bragging lol). If I could have had a bilateral mastectomy, I would have done it.
Tommy
2 Posts
Hello JustJan‍ , thanks very much for your story. My doctor did not offer the option - I brought up the subject. He is not against doing it, but he also talked about the increased risk. I also am large breasted. I am feeling that having only one will be very uncomfortable. How are you managing? How was your surgery? Are you fully recovered? Thanks again.
JustJan
449 Posts
Tommy‍ my lumpectomy was done in February 2019. I found the lumpectomy to be a pretty easy surgery and recovery but again it is patient specific. Pain was very manageable with non narcotic medication. Mine was in a good location and only one sentinel node was removed. I had no issues with my recovery.
+ Reply