+ Reply
Swollen Lymph Nodes Behind Ear, Itchy Skin, Mild Night Sweats
Fgails
4 Posts
Hi.

5 weeks ago I noticed two visibly swollen lymph nodes behind my right ear. They are not painful. They feel fairly hard, but not quite as hard as the surrounding bone and have a little bit of give to them. The upper one is about 3/4 of a centimetre and the one below is is about a centimetre (maybe slightly larger). My doctor said not to worry about them unless they are about an inch (that doesn’t seem right to me). She said they are probably caused by the rash/itch skin (see below).

I have had itchy skin for 4 months. Initially, it was mainly my scalp, upper chest, upper back and lower legs. Later it seemed to progress to thighs, arms and torso. My scalp also has a rash with raised lumps that end up becoming scaly; it takes a long time for a spot to go away. I get some tiny raised spots on my body too, and initially there seemed to be a spot everywhere that I’d itch. I was itching my scalp and lower legs raw, but haven’t been doing that the last few months. I stopped using soap, take shorter baths and showers with warm (not hot) water, and moisturize a few times a day with aveeno anti itch balm. Over the last two months, there are a lot less spots on my body, but I still itch. The itch occurs every day on and off throughout the day. The itch is most severe when I exercise, and when I wear clothing that hugs the body (such as my jeans). I saw a dermatologist who said it could be the ibuprofen and naproxen that I took for 4 weeks (2 weeks ibuprofen and 2 week naproxen) about 4-5 months ago. The dermatologist told me to come back in 3 months if it doesn’t go away.

Lastly, over the last two weeks I have been waking during the night with a damp chest ... enough that I can feel the sweat on my chest and my shirt is slightly damp. I don’t feel hot when I wake up. The sweat seems to dry up within a few minutes after getting out of bed. I go back to sleep after that and don’t have any more incidents the same night. I’m not sure if this is considered night sweats or not.

I am concerned about possible Lymphoma. Please let me know if you have experienced any of these symptoms or have anything to offer. Thanks!
8 Replies
ACH2015
2007 Posts
Hi Fgails

I saw your post and wondered if you have updated your GP about the recent night sweats you have noticed? Any time your symptoms change - best to update the GP about them and keep a diary of the symptoms - when / how severe / how often etc...

I also note you mentioned that the possible itch issues are related to medications you took 4 - 5 months ago. That seems to be enough time for the drugs to have left your body and resolve your rash. What did the dermatologist suggest as to how long these effects may last?

You also mentioned swollen lymph nodes, and they can be related to any type of infection your body is fighting. Have they increased in size and number?

Keeping track of symptoms and sharing them with your medical team is your best defense toward early diagnosis of anything that may be happening in our bodies.

Hope this helps.

ACH2015
Fgails
4 Posts
ACH2015‍ Thanks for the reply.

My GP isn’t aware of the possible night sweats since they are more recent and I’m not sure if the mild sweating in my chest is considered night sweats or not.

Re the itch, the dermatologist indicated that it can take a long time for the itching to go away and suggested waiting 3 more months unless it gets worse. He compared the skin/itching to a broken arm in that it takes a long time to heal. I think his point was that the skin barrier is damaged ... not so much that they drugs would still be in my system. I am still concerned though ... I’m just not convinced that there is nothing more to it.

I’m feeling brushed off as if I might need to see another doctor.
Fgails
4 Posts
ACH2015‍ Oh. ... I missed replying about the swollen lymph nodes. They haven’t noticeably increased in size since I discovered them about 5 weeks ago. I’m not sure how long they were actually there because the are painless / there is no discomfort.
MCoaster
506 Posts
Fgails‍ Hi. I am sorry that you still have your symptoms and hope that you feel more listened to by your next doctor.

I have no suggestions about how you are feeling but see that you missed a post. Just a thought, when you post to another member and wish them to be notified of your post this is what to do. (When you are tagged you will receive a message here and/or an email that you have been mentioned.) Type @ and then without a space start to enter their name, a blue box with names will appear and when you see the name you want click on it, it will appear in blue in your post and they will be notified. If you want to see posts which are related to your issue type # and what you are looking for eg. skin damage, not sleeping or a name this should take you to it.

Sorry for the long explanations and hope they may help.

Take care.

MCoaster
ACH2015
2007 Posts
Hi Fgails

Sounds like you've answered more of your questions and concerns with the last two posts. The additional info about the skin makes sense and as you say you be the judge of how its going and if there is more to it. Same with the night sweats. Monitor and see if they increase in intensity and duration. Keep notes - same as the skin.

In the additional information re the lymph nodes - same thing. Monitor them for size and number.

It's scary when things mount up to look like something serious - and you are aware of yourself and the symptoms. If it gets worse or more consistent - check it out with additional follow ups at the GP's office - or as you suggested with another doctor..

Like I always say - trust your instincts.Looks like you do as well. 👍

Keep well

ACH2015
Fgails
4 Posts
ACH2015‍ Thanks so much! It is definitely scary when there is no definitive diagnosis and the symptoms persist.

I’ll definitely see a doctor, be it my GP, the dermatologist, or another doctor if things get worse or don’t start to lessen in intensity soon.

Take care!
ACH2015
2007 Posts
Hey Fgails

You are most welcome. Please keep in touch here and let us know how you are doing - OK?

You take care as well, and thank you!

ACH2015
JamesT
429 Posts
Hello Fgails

I had a swollen lymph node on my neck it took going back and the third time the doctor said that we should do some testing just to make sure.

The first 2 doctors said it was nothing and it will go away.

This taught me that I was good to keep following up. Now, I would ask earlier what's the worst it could be...and if it could be cancer what is the test that can be done to eliminate that as a concern.

Sincerely,

James
+ Reply