+ Reply
Forehead lump patholy suggesting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma
SEBS
3 Posts
Hey there everyone,
New to the forum. A month and a half ago, I had a cyst removed from my forehead. The cyst had been present between 3.5 to 4 years and growing slowly. The dermatologist had indicated a simple cyst. It was removed and sent in for patholy, which is standard for any lump. I received a call from my doctor's office a month later indicating that the pathologists (3 at that lab so far) are all diagnosing it as Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma. I have met with the Hemeatologist and they are not confirming anything until the Cancer Treatment Center has their own pathologist do a test and review of the biopsy. In the meantime, she has scheduled a PET scan for this Wednesday. Obviously, the anxiety is overwhelming. So although I don't have an "official" diagnosis, they need to see if it is present elsewhere in my body to determine the next steps. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to get results from the PET scan? So far, everything has been moving very quickly, as DLBCL tends to be aggressive and moves quickly.
Thanks so much.
5 Replies
ACH2015
2007 Posts
SEBS

Pet scan results take as long as any other test to get from the Radiologist (trained in nuclear medicine) to your oncologist. No set time frame. Your oncologist will get them asap - and the important thing is that your test is Wednesday! Usually that is what takes the time - waiting for the test.

Are you going to Princess Margaret, Sunnybrook, for it? I've had several. The preparation is super important to follow for the best results. The good news is that your medical team is doing a PET scan to look at the whole picture before designing / starting a treatment program for you.

Questions to ask when you have cancer is a resource from the Canadian Cancer Society website. I included the Ontario version for you.

Understanding my situation gave me a sense of control over cancer. It is scary, frustrating, anger inducing and can be emotionally draining as well. Talk about it, learn about it and ask questions as need be.

One step at a time, its easier said than done, and believe me finding ways to keep your mind productively occupied is the best way to find some relief from the stress and anxiety.

Keep well

ACH2015
SEBS
3 Posts
I'm in Ottawa, so it will be done at the General Hospital. I have every intention of following the preparation instructions to the letter. I don't want any excuses for any delays. I've share my situation with a few hand-picked individuals, just so that I have a couple of people to talk to, but I am hesitant to announce anything to the rest of my family and friends, since I really don't have anything concrete to tell. I don't want to worry anyone unnecessarily. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to keep myself busy, to keep my mind occupied. Thankfully, my two little girls do a good job of that.
ACH2015
2007 Posts
SEBS‍ - Yes, I agree, best to wait to know what you are dealing with before sharing your situation en masse. And good to know you have some hand picked folks to confide in and talk with. Many of us kind of shut down with communications, and that is what I was saying about the importance of having contacts and giving yourself a sounding board.

ACH2015
JustJan
449 Posts
SEBS‍ I am sorry for what brings you to the site, but glad you found this caring and supportive community. Many of us have experienced the same anxiety that you are feeling and we get it. I found the PET scan to be an easy test although somewhat nerve wracking. I had my test on a Saturday and told me that my oncologist would have the results by the Tuesday. She called me at home on the Tuesday night with my results. She is amazing that way. As ACH2015‍ says it is dependent on how fast the radiologist reads the results. Sometimes waiting for the results can be very anxiety provoking. I did ask my family doctor for some medication which has helped me in those situations.

I will be thinking of you on Wednesday.
SEBS
3 Posts
Thank you JustJan. I’m relieved to hear that the results can happen quickly, but I also do understand that this may not always be the case. I’ve been reluctant to contact my doctor for my anxiety, but will need to reach out if it continues to prevent me from sleeping. I think getting the PET scan done will take a bit of weight off my shoulders for a short while anyway. Thank you for the positive thoughts tomorrow.
+ Reply