+ Reply
Right breast lump - Am I overreacting
30WOF1981
5 Posts
Hi everyone.

I am a 39 year old who found a large lump that suddenly showed up out of no where on Sunday.
the lump is smooth and moveable. I’ve always had lumpy breasts since I was 14 years old but have never had one act like this.

Monday I had a large red mark on my skin as well so I went to the hospital.

The Dr preformed an Ultrasound and confirmed that the mass was fluid filled. She aspirated fluid from it to send off which was clear with a bit of puss and blood in it. She gave me antibiotics which the lump is responding very well too. It has shrunk nearly in half and the redness is gone but I still have a bruise from the needles.

She ordered a mammogram and an ultrasound that I am supposed to go do once the area calms down.

my question is this.

Has anyone had breast cancer or IBC that DID respond to antibiotics? I read that if the mass responds to the antibiotics then no further action is required so I was SO RELIEVED that the lump is shrinking so much.... but then I read another article that said sometimes IBC will respond to antibiotics at first.

I am absolutely terrified!!

curious to hear from those that have had similar experiences

TIA
8 Replies
Essjay
1418 Posts
30WOF1981‍ that must have been frightening to have a lump come up so quickly. I hope it’s feeling more comfortable after being drained. It sounds like it was an infection? I think we are prone to them in our mammary glands especially if we’ve had children.

Sounds like you have been well treated and they are being very cautious checking for any cancers or precancers.

Cancers are different - the cells have changed from normal breast cells, but it happens because some cells mutate and reproduce until they take over, not from an infection.

Hopefully your mammogram will be all clear, and the infection resolves quickly.

Let us know how you get on, we especially like the ‘it’s not cancer’ posts. Best wishes, Essjay
30WOF1981
5 Posts
Essjay

yes, as of right now they’re treating it as an infection the problem is that I have no reason why an infection would suddenly appear. My daughter is 10 so it’s not like there are any milk gland problems that could cause this.

I am hopeful it is just an infection because it is reacting to the antibiotics, but conflicting reports on how Inflammatory Breast Cancer can react to antibiotics has me scared.

It is a roller coaster!! I was so relieved this morning when I felt how much it shrank then right back on the panic bus when I read that sometimes IBC will “appear” to calm down with antibiotics.

I should probably stay off google lol
Essjay
1418 Posts
Any worries, please do discuss them with your doctor. They know best what’s going on. Infections can spring up anywhere and we do have lymph nodes throughout our breast which will respond to things going on in our bodies in a similar way to when you have a sore throat and your neck lymph nodes react.

Please try not to worry and give those antibiotics time to work. Meanwhile, try to be kind to yourself. Get plenty of rest, walks outside, eat healthy meals plenty of fruit and veg - your body needs the good stuff right now.

And you are right - Dr Google is not your friend just now!

best wishes, Essjay
MCoaster
506 Posts
30WOF1981

I am so glad that you are responding so well to the antibiotics.
Can relate to your feelings of terror. About 30+ years ago my nipple was bleeding and I had the first of many scans and biopsies. The first one was memorable because the marker needle was inserted and the surgeon was waiting to take to theatre when the radiologist rushed up and said the lump had disappeared (it was a cyst which the needle had punctured), the surgeon got mad because he was was prepared to operate and they yelled at each other over me on the gurney. It certainly lightened up my mood. Subsequently I found many lumps and after biopsy and lumpectomy all were benign. The last lumpectomy in 2019 identified DCIS and as nothing else was found I opted for a bilateral mastectomy and am now cancer free.

Long story but I hope it might help you. I was very lucky but took each lump seriously. Through reading posts here I now know the importance of identifying whether or not breasts are dense which I wish I had known about.

Hope all goes well with the results

Take care.

Hugs.

MCoaster

30WOF1981
5 Posts
MCoaster‍ thanks so much for your kind response.

it’s nice to hear from someone who has had similar experiences. I haven’t really told anyone what is happening except my boy friend and my sisters whom the conversation started with “don’t freak out... but...” (we recently lost our mom to NSCLC 3B lung cancer) so I didn’t want an over reaction from them as well.

it’s nice to have people to talk too. Thanks so much
MCoaster
506 Posts
30WOF1981

You are welcome. I know that this site saved my sanity when I was suddenly hit with the diagnosis. There are many here who well understands how frightening just mention of any cancer is but who, as you have found, have experience and knowledge about a specific type. What I found reassuring was that here we all have no history with each other as we are only known by our site names and sometimes talking to strangers is far easier because of this.

I am so sorry that you and your sisters lost your mom and to be grieving her and then finding the lump must have been awful. Are you and your family aware that there is a Group here called "Coping with grief" which might interest you and your family and also a forum called "The Roller Coaster" which is a good place to express the different emotions which cancer can bring?

Be kind to yourself and each other and try to live in the present which is the only place which we truly know to be true. Google can be useful but it has lots of deep rabbit holes of the unknown to disappear into!

We are here for you so please let us know how things are going.

Warm and healing hugs.

MCoaster
Yuliya
70 Posts
30WOF1981‍ How have you been? Did you have ultrasound or mammogram already?
30WOF1981
5 Posts
Hi!

Not yet :( the earliest they were able to get me in is April 19. I can say the antibiotics did work to get rid of the infection and the inflammation.
the lump is still there but is significantly smaller then when I originally seen the Dr.
it’s a long time to have this on my mind with no answers.

very frustrating.
+ Reply