+ Reply
Caught Off-Gaurd
UrbanMiss
7 Posts
I recently detected a lump in my left breast. I was naturally, albeit mildly concerned and saw my GP as soon as I could. He said that he wasn't really able to feel a discernable lump, but referred me for a mammogram and ultrasound just to err on the side of caution. I was convinced that it was nothing to worry about, and even so, I was certain that I would be given no information at the time of testing but would rather hear from my GP once he received the results.
Unfortunately, that was not to be the case. Following the testing, the radiologist attended and told me that the testing revealed not one, but two "very concerning" lumps. She had me booked in for an emergency biopsy before I left the office (to take place this coming Monday morning) and that was followed by my GP contacting me almost immediately to advise that he has already submitted an expedited referral to a breast surgeon.
Is this typical? Multiple lumps (one in the upper outside quadrant and another directly under the nipple)? "Emergency" testing and "expedited" referral to a surgeon?
I am doing the best I can to remain calm and not over think it, but I can't help but worry.
Has anyone else experienced something similar? What was the outcome? I am mostly scared that my babies will have to endure their Momma being ill. That's the thought that is breaking my heart right now.
17 Replies
UrbanMiss‍ I'm glad that you have joined the site and reached out to us. My cancer experience was too slow. All my testing to get a final diagnosis took months. That was in 2011. I had surgery, chemo and radiation. More recently there was the potential that my cancer had returned. This time things moved very quickly. Multiple mammograms, ultrasounds and a biopsy. Ultimately it turned out to be a cyst but I am supposed to go for a precautionary ultrasound soon. Even the thiught of that makes me nervous.

I understand your anxiety. Sometimes the very speed that is efficiency is the very speed that makes us worry. Having said that, try to be glad that people are taking your well-being seriously. If it is cancer, you will want to deal with it as quickly as possible.

Please keep us posted. Hugs to you and your babies.

cancertakesflight
UrbanMiss
7 Posts
Hi cancertakesflight!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I can't imagine going through such a terribly lengthy diagnosis; it must have been such an incredibly trying time for you! Sending hugs back and praying for nothing but positive outcomes for you going forward.

I will definitely say that the speed in which the professionals are handling my case, although scary, is a blessing indeed! I feel that regardless of the outcome, I am one of the lucky ones in that sense.

I am grateful also that this forum exists. To have the opportunity to connect with people who understand not only the process, but also the thoughts and feelings that go along with it, is an absolute blessing.

Best of luck to you, cancertakesflight! Please keep me updated on your situation.

Hugs!
UrbanMiss
Yuliya
66 Posts
UrbanMiss‍ Sorry for the reason you joined us, but warm welcome to you! My cancer worries began nine months ago. No, I did not find a lump, but I noticed a red spot on my right breast. Immediately I remembered Know Your Lemons poster and Inflammatory Breast Cancer became my biggest fear. I also experienced pain in my armpit and my right breast seemed fuller than my left one. Thankfully my family doctor sent me to do ultrasound and mammogram right away. A small nodule was found (1.2 cm) and biopsy was performed a few days later. And biopsy came back negative for invasive malignancy or DCIS. Yay! I am still required to do ultrasound every 6 month, my next one will be in June. As for now I do not have any symptoms, even red spot is barely noticeable.
UrbanMiss‍ I know how you feel right now. Please try to distract yourself as much as possible while you waiting for you biopsy results. You don't know what you dealing with yet. Most breast lumps are not cancerous. I hope statistics will be on your side. Sending you love and hugs.
P.S please share with us the results if you comfortable. We are here for you
Yuliya‍ can you please tell me approximately how long it took to get your negative/benign biopsy results back? The wait is brutal! Thanks!
Joycebabe
16 Posts
Hi, thinking of you, sending you good wishes, and hoping all goes well and the results come back benign for you! I have scans this Tuesday and will be thinking of you. Do let us know how you are if you have a chance. All the best!
Joycebabe
16 Posts
Yes, I agree the wait is brutal. I feel so scared and worried, feel tired and almost feverish and more in pain than ever before. The doctor said he found multiple cysts (he thinks) in both breasts and sent me for mammogram and ultrasound. I'm praying we are OK and everyone here recovers.
Yuliya
66 Posts
37yearoldmamaoftwo‍ it took approximately 10 days to get biopsy results.
Joycebabe‍ , 37yearoldmamaoftwo‍ and UrbanMiss‍ I am holding your hands and waiting the results with you! Much love to all of you!
UrbanMiss
7 Posts
Joycebabe‍, I will be thinking of you too! I had my biopsy (core needle on 2 sites) two days ago... now the waiting game. I'm told 5 - 7 business days for results, so I am trying my best to distract myself with my kids, work, music, Mario (highly recommend!!). Waiting is the hardest part - if the news is unfavourable, we know what we're up against, right?! Keep us posted on your situation, and I will do the same. Best to you!
MCoaster
418 Posts
37yearoldmamaoftwo

Where you are at present is scary, so many questions and uncertainties and not enough answers or defineates, particularly when you have young children.

The waiting seems endless. When I was in a similar place I posted here and received lots of suggestions which I found useful.

1. Try not to second guess because the only thing you know is what you know for certain now. You have a doctor who acted very quickly to start the diagnosis process. The "experts" wasted no time in acting quickly to find a way forward to your treatment. You are now in a system where there is a tremendous fund of experience and where new things are being found to help us both physically and emotionally with cancer of all types.

2. Be careful about where you research on the net. There is lots of info out there and some is not very reliable and only adds to your stress. One place to start is by calling the help line of the Cancer Society , 1 888 939 3333 where you get to speak to people who are very kind and supportive and have ideas of many of the resources available. There is a yellow section of each page here where you will also find resources. When you know more then you will find that your cancer clinic has all sorts of supports and info. available to you and you only have to ask.

3. I hope that you may know more now but in the meantime try, it is hard but....., to distract racing thoughts. I guess that your young children will keep you busy! Find positive things to do which will be useful in the future eg. many of us cooked and froze meals, cleaned and gardened, read, learnt anxiety reducing ways such as mindfulness etc etc. your choice. All good things whether you need them in the future nor not.

4. When you know how your and your family life will be effected put in place a support group and do not be shy to ask for help.

Hope this may help and we are always here to support, answer any questions and listen.

Warm hugs.

MCoaster

MCoaster
418 Posts
Joycebabe

Hi.
Checking in to see how you are. How are you dealing with the stress? Hope you are finding joy sometimes. Have you any results yet?
Take care of yourself.
Healing hugs.
MCoaster
MCoaster
418 Posts
Hello UrbanMiss

Just checking in to see how you are if you have any results yet.

Don't know about you but I am so glad that Spring is here, certainly on the West Coast, and that I get outside. It certainly helps me.

Thinking of you and sending healing hugs.

MCoaster
UrbanMiss
7 Posts
Hi MCoaster‍ !

Thank you so much for reaching out! I received my results yesterday and, unfortunately, they were not what I was hoping for. I have been diagnosed with IDC. I will be meeting with the surgeon on Monday morning to discuss next steps.

I am heartbroken for my kids but, honestly, I felt very much prepared for this outcome (although I had a strong hope that the tumors were non-invasive). I'm not really certain of what to expect next, but I do know that I have a great medical team behind me and I am very optimistic.

My husband and family are having difficulties with the news. Is it just me, or is the hardest part of a cancer diagnosis breaking your friends' and family's hearts. I have seen a number of people shed tears for me over the past 24 hours, and if feels so strange, and a bit narcissistic. But I do understand that this news is not only my news and there will be a lot of people going through this right along-side me. They are feeling emotional and scared too. I look forward to a time when I can deliver news to be celebrated. I have a bottle of champagne already chilling, ready to be popped to celebrate the end of treatment, when I can call myself a SURVIVOR!

Thank you for your prayers and your love. This forum, this site, have been a great resource and comfort to me.
UrbanMiss
7 Posts
Joycebabe‍ darling, I feel you. I am praying for you and holding your hands. Please keep us updated if you feel comfortable doing so.
Essjay
1377 Posts
UrbanMiss‍ I love your positive attitude xx

Breast cancer is such a different disease to the disease it was a generation ago. I found having a plan really helped, although the anxiety of waiting for that plan to be formed was the hardest part for me. Hopefully that visit with the surgeon will come soon enough.

it sounds like you have a strong family and lots of friends who are in your corner - you will need them, and you will be glad of them.

Best wishes Essjay
UrbanMiss
7 Posts
Essjay‍ thank you!

I feel cautiously optimistic at this point. Perhaps that's easy at this point because I haven't really received much in the way of information or a treatment plan. Whatever the plan is going forward, I know that I have such an amazing network of people around me to lean on. And damn, my kids are STRONG people! That's all I need.

I am sending you healing thoughts as well, Essjay‍ I see that your journey has not been easy. I don't imagine that anyone's cancer journey is "easy". What a blessing that we all have a way to connect with each other to share our stories, our struggles and our successes. I hope to hear your success story in the future. I hope to share mine with you.

Take good care.
Yuliya
66 Posts
UrbanMiss‍ I am so sorry that your biopsy came back positive for cancer. Stupid cancer!!! My very best wishes as you go forward with treatment. Step by step, sometimes day by day, or even hour by hour, you will get through. Ask a lots of questions and make notes during you next appointment. And please....be kind to you self.
P.S Love your positive attitude!
MCoaster
418 Posts
Hi UrbanMiss‍ .

Yes, IDC is not what anyone wishes to have but after your meeting with surgeon on Monday you will start the journey towards that bottle of bubbly. I'm sending lots of positive hugs to you for Monday!

Being in a supporting role while you are the focus can alter the dynamics for family and friends. In a weird way it is good because we realize just how important we are to each other and we treasure each other all the more. The most important thing of course is to keep everyone in the loop. Knowledge is something I personally find empowering. I have problems with the unknown.

Best wishes and love for Monday and let us know you get on.

Healing hugs.

MCoaster
+ Reply