MRI, CT and bone scan - but not brain?

MRI, CT and bone scan - but not brain?

Posted by Cece on Dec 14, 2020 8:23 pm

Any idea why the docs looking after my bc diagnosis have ordered an MRI, bone scan and CT scan of my torso, but no brain scan? I’m planning to ask at my next appointment but would be interested to know if others have any experience of this.

Re: MRI, CT and bone scan - but not brain?

Posted by ashcon on Dec 15, 2020 6:24 pm

Hi Cece‍ ,
Not being doctors here, could not guess. 
Well actually could guess that a brain scan is not merited with certain types, stages, grades, etc of cancer.  Reasons and factors that only your doctor would know based on your particular case.  
Yes, it doesn't hurt to ask at your next appointment! Let us know what you find out.
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by K7698 on Dec 15, 2020 11:29 pm

Hi, I had the same three tests after my initial diagnosis. I think the brain scan is done if there are certain symptoms. I had one later on after I had major dizzy spells but it was a side effect from chemo.

Posted by Cece on Dec 16, 2020 8:48 am

Many thanks!

Posted by gladup on Dec 16, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi Cece, I asked my oncologist here in Ottawa the same.  I had brain scan only once before surgery Feb/19. (lung cancer). He said you'd they would only do another brain scan if there were symptoms indicating it had spread to brain, and they were considering radiation for example.. Otherwise, just abdomen and chest every 3 months or so. 

Posted by Cece on Dec 16, 2020 5:00 pm

Thanks, @gladup! I asked my onc this today and that was exactly what she told me, too :)