FNAC on lymph node behind ear

FNAC on lymph node behind ear

Posted by Lno1984 on Nov 25, 2020 12:02 pm

Hi there, 

I have had a hard pea sized immovable lump behind the bottom of my ear for probably 3 or 4 years now, I'm not even sure because my doctor just kept dismissing it as scar tissue and said if it's not growing or painful not to worry. I finally pushed for an ultrasound and had it over a week ago now. My doctor called and said it was inconclusive and I will need to have a FNAC. She said it looked like the shape was irregular and it is a bit concerning that it looks non vascular? I asked why that was concerning and she just went on to tell me there is no reason to worry until we have the FNAC results. I wish I pushed for an answer because I was so caught off guard. She is only doing telephone appointments and I'm waiting for her to get back to me (this takes up to a week!) And I cant stop worrying. Why is it concerning if its non vascular? 

Re: FNAC on lymph node behind ear

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Nov 25, 2020 4:39 pm

Hello and welcome Lno1984‍ 

Good on you for pushing to get tests and answers. It is important we advocate for ourselves when we feel like we may not be heard.
Have you had the appointment for your FNAC already? 
Non vascular means no blood supply but we are not doctors here so it is hard to determine what your doctor is concerned about. But the good thing is that she is delving further into it with this test and will be able to have more information to give you at your appointment..
I won't tell you to stop worrying because I know how effective that is with me when I worry about anything. But if you can, find a way to keep distracted until you get to speak to the doctor.  I wish for only good results for you but should it go the other way, we will be here to support you.

Lianne

Posted by Lno1984 on Nov 25, 2020 5:33 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I am trying my best not to worry. I havent yet gotten the appointment for the biopsy but my doctors office did confirm the requisition  has been sent to the hospital so it should be soon. It is so incredibly hard to think about anything else, but reading through this forum has been helpful. If it is lymphoma, there seem to be some really great outcomes with treatment. 

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Nov 25, 2020 5:45 pm

Lno1984‍ 

Keep us posted when you hear one way or the other.  Remember there is a 50% chance it is NOT a cancer so try to lean that way as best you can.

Take care

Lianne

Posted by Whitelilies on Nov 25, 2020 8:28 pm

Lno1984‍ Hello and welcome to our caring site.....so sorry for the reason you have joined this group......we are here...listening and offering support and more.
I know little about FNAC, but I can share......My dad at age 87, had, for years.....2/3 growths on his left ear. Mainly on "top" part of ear...looked like horns. (Ridgy)
We finally got him to agree to see a Dr.....and Dr was concerned, and sent him to Sunnybrook Hospital (Toronto).....3 Plastic Surgeons (watching, teaching, learning, excising?) removed the "horns".  It was cancerous.....BUT they got it all out.  The top portion of ear, was removed.  I have not heard of cancer in the "ear area"....
Write down your questions, for this Dr, so when they call back, you feel better prepared to ask specifics.
I am glad you got to a Dr and tests are underway.
Please share, when you know more.
We are here......to support....every step of the way.

Regards
Whitelilies

Lillian

Posted by Lno1984 on Dec 4, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi all, 

I went for my biopsy today and the radiologist ended up not doing it bedause the ultrasound showed it is a normal lymph node. It is normal size, normal shape and no mass. It's just sitting in a funny place, and apparently that is quite common. I was very worked up about this whole thing the last few weeks, and the radiologist wasnt even sure why I was sent there at all and wanted to know where I had the first ultrasound done. 

I am definitely relieved, and I hope this thread can provide peace of mind to someone else in the future when they are awaiting testing. 

Thank you to those who replied to me. It is not easy waiting these things out at all!

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Dec 4, 2020 2:47 pm

Great news Lno1984‍ ! Thanks for circling back and letting us know your great news. As challenging as the last couple of weeks may have been, kudos to you for taking charge of your health and having it checked out. Having this answer allows you peace of mind. Had it gone the other way, it would have been caught earlier than had you ignored it for a while.
That is so important for people to understand when dealing with their own health.

Have a wonderful weekend !

Lianne

Posted by Lno1984 on Dec 4, 2020 3:04 pm

Yes, it is so important to get these things looked into. It has actually pushed me to book a pap smear (I have horrible anxiety about these types of exams). I am long over due and kept putting it off, then the pandemic happened, and it has long been on the back burner. This whole situation scared the heck out of me, and it gave me the push to book one finally. 

Thanks again for reaching out when I needed it. 

Enjoy your weekend also!

Posted by Whitelilies on Dec 4, 2020 4:33 pm

Lno1984‍ Hello.....I am happy for you!  You must feel relieved.....ahhhhh....time to breathe out......
Trust me....we all "go there" in our minds and thoughts of the "what ifs ?"....generally negative thoughts......
your positive outcome is wonderful news.

Regards
Whitelilies

Lillian