Breast Cancer Screening: Getting It Right

Breast Cancer Screening: Getting It Right

Posted by ashcon on Oct 16, 2020 4:21 pm

Have you wondered, or had experience (good or bad), about the effectiveness of your breast cancer screening?  Especially if you are under age 50? Or have dense breast tissue?

In this video, the Canadian Society of Breast Imaging brings together four experts in breast cancer screening, Dr. Jean Seely, Dr. Martin Yaffe, Dr. Paula Gordon and Dr. Anna Wilkinson, to explain the current science that healthcare providers should be following to ensure breast cancer is detected early,

The video is 28mins, and is worth the watch.

Breast Screening: Getting It Right

---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Re: Breast Cancer Screening: Getting It Right

Posted by Essjay on Oct 16, 2020 9:09 pm

Thanks for sharing ashcon‍ 

i am frustrated at the Official guidance that says women below 50 need no breast exam or screening. I was 49 and below screening age when I was diagnosed. My breast cancer was triple negative. It could have been another year before I had a screening mammogram on reaching 50, and since my lump was not visible on my diagnostic mammogram until an ultrasound showed the radiologist where to look, I suspect i would have had a ‘normal’ result. Likely, had I not felt the lump myself I could have had a much later diagnosis...

It’s good to see the issue of what’s appropriate being talked about.
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Re: Breast Cancer Screening: Getting It Right

Posted by ashcon on Oct 16, 2020 10:43 pm

Essjay‍ 
I am so glad you found that lump!
And to think that the current Canadian Task Force on Preventative Health recommends that doctors do not advise women to do self exams.
This contradicts every message about the importance of early detection. There are no words for how wrong this is. 
Just imagine, if you had heeded that recommendation, who knows how your story would have ended. 
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----