Painful enlarging lymph node, throat cancer

Painful enlarging lymph node, throat cancer

Posted by Me1141 on Oct 15, 2020 9:11 am

Hi all

I had problems swallowing and an enlarged lymph node on the right hand side (3cm according to ultrasound 3 weeks ago, larger now probably 5cm)
Since then I have been to 2 CT scans and doctor did a scope and said it was cancer in my throat.  He was unable to get throat biopsy but did a needle biopsy of the lymph node which made it sore and larger.
Waiting for results but it's getting bigger and painful, pain has also moved into my jaw bone. It feels better in the morning, but gets worse after Im up.  It also seems to get caught on a muscle or something when I turn my head sometimes.
Is this normal for a lymph node?  anything I could do other than aspirin?
Thanks

Re: Painful enlarging lymph node, throat cancer

Posted by JamesT on Oct 18, 2020 11:16 am

Hello Me1141‍ 

It sounds like you went in right away once you felt something was wrong, which ws the best thing you could have done..

The sooner any type of cancer is identified and treatment started, the better.

Your doctor would be the best person for the pain you are currently experiencing

What I can tell you is that once you start treatment, the radiation eliminated the lump on my neck in a fairly short time.  Sounds like that might help get rid of the pain you are experiencing.  Not sure of your case that you might require surgery for your lymph node.

There is a great forum in here under head and neck that has lots of experiences from folks who have had throat cancer and gone through the treatments, along with what it was like during and suggestions to follow.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

James

Re: Painful enlarging lymph node, throat cancer

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Nov 6, 2020 5:37 pm

Hello Me1141

Just checking in to see how your tests are going and if you have heard anything back yet?

Lianne