Breast sore at biopsied area

Breast sore at biopsied area

Posted by Carotte on Aug 15, 2020 3:26 pm

Just wondering how long I should feel pain after a biopsy.  It is confirmed that I have breast cancer, and I see a surgeon on Tuesday.  I have no idea what stage I am at, but am scheduled for a biopsy of my lymph nodes on Thursday.  I've had a biopsy before, but I do not remember the pain lasting 2 weeks.  Although last biopsy was benign.  Does it hurt more when you biopsy a cancerous lump?  

Re: Breast sore at biopsied area

Posted by Yuliya on Aug 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Carotte‍  A very warm welcome to our forum. I am very sorry to read about your diagnosis. On June 24 I had a needle biopsy of my right breast. It was uncomfortable but not too bad. My breast was sore and bruised for a day or two. And, yes, my biopsy came back  being. May I ask was it the same lump that turned cancerous this time? How long has it's been since being biopsy?
please let us know how you get on.

Posted by Carotte on Aug 15, 2020 5:19 pm

It is not the same lump.  I found this new one in April, covid set me back 2 months (but that's another story).  It is much smaller than the first one, 5cmx4cm.  My bruising is almost gone, but the pain isn't.  I am pretty good with needles and it didn't hurt when I had my biopsy on June 30th.  

Posted by Wendy Tea on Aug 15, 2020 7:08 pm

Carotte‍  Welcome. Everyone is different.  Every procedure is different.  Now is the perfect time to make lists of questions for the surgeon.  I found when I had my diagnosis,  it was better to stay in touch with my team and tell them everything.  Then I let them decide what was important medically speaking. I kept a record of everything so that i could refer back to my notes.
My lymph nodes were removed during my mastectomy. I had a titanium marker implanted before surgery.  Nothing was particularly uncomfortable. 
Please stay in touch and let us know how you are. 
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by MCoaster on Aug 15, 2020 7:43 pm

Carotte‍    I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis and the pain that you are experiencing.    From my experience there was no difference in the pain level between having a benign lump and a cancerous one but everyone is different.  Often a nerve may be effected by a procedure and this can cause pain.  

It is very good that you will see the surgeon on Tuesday and that he will be able to answer any questions you may have.  I suggest that you make a note of your questions in a notebook and keep a record of answers including contact info of anyone who can answer questions between consults.  Everything will become clearer when the results are back and you know what the next steps are.

I had benign results on lumpectomies for about 30 years so was surprised when a cancer was found last October.  Once I got my mind around the diagnosis it became easier because I hate the unknown and need a plan.  If you are anything like I was there are so many questions and no answers.  Try to live in the moment because it is real and speculation is a rabbit hole which is hard to find a way out of.

Do you have physical support at home and for getting to appointments and people who will lend a listening ear?

Many in this community are, unfortunately, only too familiar with breast cancer and we are always here to listen, answer questions, share experiences  and offer support because we “get it”.  It is a safe and caring place to be where rants are also allowed!

Please let us know how Tuesday and Thursday go and what your way forward will be.    

We are here for you.

Warm hugs.

MCoaster

Posted by Carotte on Aug 15, 2020 10:21 pm

Thank you very much.  I will keep notes, this is a great idea.  I guess I'm just scared.  I thought I had my husband's support, but he has shown no interest.  I had to ask a friend to come with me on Tuesday.  My family lives in Ottawa and I'm in bc.  I have no one here.  I thought I had a partner, but ever since my ultrasound showed signs of cancer, and how he reacted, I knew I would be alone.  I'm trying to stay tough for my kids, 7 and 10, but they can see my sadness.  I can't wait till Tuesday when I get some answers (good ones please).  I am glad I joined this group.  You guys have already made me feel 100x better.

Posted by Buffythevampire on Aug 15, 2020 11:43 pm

Carotte‍ My breast was sore after my biopsies but I for a different reason. I ended up being allergic to the glue on the bandaid they used and ended up with a blister on my breast that hurt more then the biopsy. The second time the biopsy was done the same thing happened. I ended up telling them to use gauze and paper tape and it was way easier having a biopsy done without the blister afterward. All of the biopsies they had done (probably 5-6) had come back fine. My cancer was discovered when I had a bleeding nipple.

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Aug 16, 2020 9:56 am

Carotte‍ - Fingers crossed for good news on Tuesday. I will be thinking of you. I'm glad you have a friend to go with you. 

Hugs,
Lacey

Posted by MCoaster on Aug 16, 2020 12:00 pm

Carotte‍   Not long until Tuesday.  I am so glad that your friend will be there for you.

I found deep breaths and meditation helped a lot as did diverting my attention, which in my case is IPod Scrabble.  Just short of 4000 games since I found my latest and last lump.  What ever works to keep from the rabbit hole!

Hugs and will be thinking of you on Tuesday.

MCoaster.

ps. If you want to ensure that your post are seen by someone just type @ then with no space start typing the person’s name.  A blue box will appear and when you see the name click on it and that person, who’s name will appear in blue, will receive a notification of your post.  That is why you will have received notification of posts naming you in blue.  It is easy to get lost in the shuffle.