Worried about fiancé

Worried about fiancé

Posted by Natasha0b on Jul 16, 2020 10:02 pm

My fiancé first noticed blood in his stool approx a year and a half ago. He brushed it off and so did I because he’s always had large bowel movements and I figured it would be Hemorrhoids at the age of 23.

however the other night, he told me the blood has continued on and off since then. I immediately felt sick to my stomach and made him a doctors appointment for next week. He’s agreed to go but I’m so worried for him. I know I tend to jump to the worse case scenario but I am so scared he has colorectal cancer and he’s let this go on for almost two years. 

I broke down in tears today... I’m just hoping it’s nothing serious and I’m also hoping his doctor takes this seriously and orders a colonoscopy. 

Re: Worried about fiancé

Posted by Brighty on Jul 16, 2020 10:13 pm

Natasha0b‍  I'm so glad you posted.      Not knowing is so scary but I'm so glad that your fiance has agreed to get things checked out.     Make sure he tells everything  to the doctor.   All the details.    Write everything  down so he doesn't  forget.   I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.      Whatever  happens, we are here to support you.  Please post when you find out more.  
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Natasha0b on Jul 16, 2020 10:20 pm

Thanks! I find talking to people about this helps but I don’t want to freak out my parents (as my mom has been through cancer 3 times). 

I’m trying to be positive as he’s had no weight loss or abdomen pain. And no real change in his BMs (other than the blood). 

My heart just keeps breaking for him. I wish they’d let me in the appointment so I can advocate for him, he’s very quiet. But I doubt they’ll let me with COVID 

Posted by Brighty on Jul 16, 2020 10:30 pm

Natasha0b‍  they might be able to put you on the phone during the appointment. So you get the chance to talk to the doctor.... maybe with his permission.      I'm not  sure they do that but it is worth asking.       Since he's quiet., all the more reason to write everything  down incase he is scared to speak up or forgets something.     

Posted by Natasha0b on Jul 16, 2020 11:07 pm

Brighty‍ 

thats a great idea! I’ll be sure to write things down and see if they can call me. I just want to ensure they order a colonoscopy and hopefully ASAP. 
not sure how these things are working with COVID

Posted by Brighty on Jul 16, 2020 11:40 pm

Natasha0b‍  I'm not sure either how things are working with covid but some doctors may be willing to do phone conferences or on line appointments..............    I was my fiance's caregiver too, but we didn't have the covid situation to complicate things.   I can understand the anxiety and the not knowing.      Try to keep distracted in the meantime with things you love to do, things that keep you calm, or make you laugh.        Keep us updated here as soon as you find out what's happening.        

Posted by Laika57 on Jul 17, 2020 12:12 am

I was allowed to go to my husbands appointments. Not sure how much of that was a concession to his mental state, but all the literature recommends bringing a 2nd set of ears.
check with the doctor, but also ask your fiance. He may be more comfortable opening up about what's been going on if you aren't around...
Have you hugged your dog today?

Posted by Natasha0b on Jul 17, 2020 12:42 am

Laika57‍ my fiancé is good with me coming to appointments. I’d def leave the room for any examinations though as I think he would appreciate the privacy for those. 

He has told me all his symptoms and I’m in healthcare so of course I asked a million more questions which he answered. 

the whole thing just makes me more anxious. Every time I think about it I tear up. I’m just trying to hope for the best. 

how long did it take everyone to receive colonoscopy after seeing their GP?

Posted by Brighty on Jul 17, 2020 12:51 am

hi Natasha0b‍ .  My fiance had esophegeal cancer..........but if you click on "forums" and "cancer types" you can find colon cancer and join discussions there and if you feel comfortable you can ask some of the people questions.   If not I will just give you a few names Whitelilies‍ 
alexisrj‍  or ShariM‍  may be able to tell you.      

Posted by Laika57 on Jul 17, 2020 1:10 am

Natasha0b‍ timelines vary. Depends on your GP mostly, i think, and how serious they deem his condition is.
Hubby was mis-diagnosed 3 times before ending up at the ER because he was turning yellow (cancer obstructed the bile duct). He had been waiting for an appointment for an ultra sound 3 weeks later - gp thought it was just a uti and didn't really think the ultrasound would be necessary. After that, it took 2 weeks to get the biopsy results back. Then another 2 weeks to have an appt with the surgeon...
Have you hugged your dog today?

Posted by alexisrj on Jul 17, 2020 1:15 am

Hi Natasha0b‍ - I saw my GP a few times before he sent the referral for the colonoscopy but I had also just had my third baby so the blood in my stool was easily brushed off as hemorrhoids (and I’m 35 years old). When he did order the colonoscopy, that was in the beginning of January, surgeon saw me for consult in early March, colonoscopy booked for end of March, canceled due to Covid. My symptoms were getting worse so I advocated for myself to get rebooked so they put me on the “urgent” list and I got a scope in mid-April. 

It certainly isn’t “normal” to have blood in the stool, but there truly are many things -other than cancer - that can cause it, particularly in someone so young. I hope he gets a scope booked soon and that it isn’t anything serious! I found the hardest time was not knowing what was wrong with me. Please reach out anytime ❤️

Posted by Whitelilies on Jul 17, 2020 4:06 pm

‍ Hello Natasha0b‍ 
I tried your "name" on blue link.....was not very successful.....hope you can see this message.
Welcome to our site....we will all help, listen, guide and support.
Other members have given wonderful ideas to you.....try to attend appt or call with Dr....write down all questions before hand....dont over-google.....but do get familiar with "medical" terms/body parts etc.....knowledge is power.
He/you are at step 1.  Be strong......Keep posting....we are all listening.

Warmly
Lillian

Whitelilies  

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jul 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Natasha0b‍ 

Just checking in to see how you are your fiance are getting along?

Lianne