Waiting for biopsy after a 5 score on mammogram

Waiting for biopsy after a 5 score on mammogram

Posted by Buddy65 on Jun 30, 2020 4:52 pm

I am new here and freaking out. My mammogram last week was abnormal and the radiologist gave it a 5 and stated I needed an urgent biopsy. I am scheduled in for July 7th.

I am 54 and the last time I had a mammogram was 10 years ago so they didn't have the pictures to compare but they did have the report. I had to go pick up the new pictures and both reports and I am very confused. My earlier report said I had extensive microcalcifications throughout both breasts, they were dense and there were many cysts and they gave me a 2. This mammogram showed microcalcifications but there is no lump or mass. I just don't know how I got a 5 when it could be no different them my previous one. I had one done last week because I have swelling and pain in my left breast.

I guess what I want to know is if anyone else has had a misdiagnosis from a radiologist or if you have been diagnosed with cancer from microcalcifications. I am 54, in good physical shape and weight and I have a very large extended female family and nobody has had any cancer at all. 

Re: Waiting for biopsy after a 5 score on mammogram

Posted by Essjay on Jun 30, 2020 7:21 pm

Buddy65‍ theres nothing quite like having only part of the picture eh?

It sounds like you are getting good treatment and a fast referral for a biopsy. Just a week to wait, you can do this, and then another week for the results...

Your radiologist is fairly sure there’s a malignancy present and he’s being cautious, and I know how hard it is not to leap ahead and start thinking the worst it could be.

Distraction is your best friend just now - I renovated the kitchen through my diagnosis which kept me busy. Spend time with family if you can, get out and have fun. There is nothing you can do today that’s going to help, and you are not going to know what’s going on until you have that biopsy result.

You’ve joined a Fantastic forum - really helpful folks, and there’s always someone who will answer your question.

Best wishes. Essjay 
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by NikkiRenshaw on Jul 3, 2020 10:07 am

Hi,
I just wanted to give you my perspective. Two years ago extensive calcification in both breasts showed up on a mammogram and I had to undergo 4 biopsies and was told I had a 50/50 chance it was breast cancer. Like you I was completely panicked and the wait for the tests and then the results were almost impossible to cope with. I too have a child in her early twenties and I didn't know whether to tell her. I chose too because I was so stressed out she knew something was up, and she was amazing. During the biopsy the doctor told me it all looked very promising and once they got in it was obvious it was just calcification and my biopsy results all came back negative. 
Please don't panic. I know it's pretty much impossible at the moment but your results like mine could be negative, and even if they aren't, you are in one of the best places in the world for treatment. I have eight friends who have gone through the breast cancer journey and all have recovered. 
Please, please don't panic.
All the best
Nikki

Posted by Buddy65 on Jul 3, 2020 7:51 pm

Thank you so much. I really needed that today.

Posted by NikkiRenshaw on Jul 3, 2020 8:14 pm

You are so welcome! I totally know what you are going through. The word Cancer, the wait, the no answers, the worst possible case scenario at 2am... But really try to breathe and as others have said, find a huge distraction. I ripped my entire garden out and re-did it!!!
And remember whatever the outcome, the likelihood is you will be okay. You will be changed. My brush with cancer changed my outlook completely. I now appreciate every day and try to enjoy the moment rather than always looking to the future. It was actually a great life lesson for me as I am naturally a terrible catastrophizer. 
Take care of yourself, and if you need a chat, just drop me a message. So many wonderful women on this forum were there for me when I went through my scare, and we will all be here for you too. There's a lot of love here in this wonderful community.
All the best
Nikki