Incidental CT findings - a breast nodule

Incidental CT findings - a breast nodule

Posted by TorUkie on Jun 8, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi All, 

A question: I am on a quarterly follow up at PHM after my previous surgery.  Luckily, no sign of mets from the original tumour, BUT an incidental finding of 1.5cm highly enhancing breast nodule on CT scan.  The radiologist has already flagged to my oncologist and recommended further examination. I expect this will be discussed during my upcoming appointment this Friday.  

Any advice from all of your who had to deal with breast tumour issues?  Any questions to ask? Which tests should I be getting? Mammogram? Biopsy? Breast ultrasound?  

I understand that there is high probability it is a fibroadenoma, but would like to get as informed as possible. 

Thank you!!!

Re: Incidental CT findings - a breast nodule

Posted by Essjay on Jun 8, 2020 6:30 pm

Hi ‍ TorUkie‍ sorry to hear you’ve had something turn up in your CT. 
The questions you are asking here are good ones for your oncologist. Usually any scan that shows something suspicious in the breast would be biopsied to confirm the nature of the cells and whether it is a fibroadenoma or any other benign mass or if it is malignant. 

I know it’s hard, but if you can focus on what you know - there’s some kind of mass in your breast, of unknown cell type, rather than worrying about all the ifs and buts and maybes.

You’ve been through this stage before, waiting for tests, waiting for the results of tests and it’s the hardest time.

Let us know how you get on at your appointment.

best wishes Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by TorUkie on Jun 8, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanks for your response Essjay‍  

As ever, you are a voice of reason, as my head is starting to spiral out of control. I have just read a number of papers on the topic, as incidental breast lesson findings seem to be quite common.  According to a big recent meta-study (link below), the probability of malignancy for breast incidental leasiion finding is about 40% (ranging from 35 to 50%).  These odds make me even more worried. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k2387

Posted by Essjay on Jun 8, 2020 7:23 pm

TorUkie‍ I think the stats for breast cancer In this study relate to the fact that breast cancer is the most common cancer in women.

I was in a webinar the other day where an oncologist was reviewing the stats from mammograms and other tests, and was talking about the anxiety associated with imaging indicating something which needs further investigation to show confirm cancer or not. MOST investigations and biopsies lead to a negative result ie not cancer. The committee that advises Health Canada on screening have used this as a reason to tell women not to do breast exams or docs to do breast checks at physicals and to deny women under the age of 40, to have mammograms - to reduce this anxiety (which is nonsense of course)! It should be reassuring that most lumps are not cancer - I found it helpful to convince myself that my lump wasn’t anything to be concerned about, and each test took me closer to knowing the answer. 

I hope you can get some reassurance very soon xx

Posted by TorUkie on Jun 9, 2020 6:02 pm

Essjay‍ - Just got a call from PMH, they are booking me for the breast clinic as soon as possible. I should hear about the appointment time within a few days, they said.  Now, the waiting begins again. 

Posted by Essjay on Jun 9, 2020 6:21 pm

TorUkie‍ that is good to hear cx

Posted by TorUkie on Jun 10, 2020 2:49 pm

A brief update - I am being seen at the PMH breast clinic on Friday.  This is a rapid diagnostic clinic, so I should have a result same day.  Terrified but hopeful. 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jun 10, 2020 9:22 pm

TorUkie

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you're not having to wait long so you can know what you're dealing with. 

Fingers crossed for good news. 

Keep us posted,we're here for you. 
Lacey 

Posted by Essjay on Jun 10, 2020 9:39 pm

TorUkie‍ glad you will know what’s going on on Friday - fingers crossed for you xx

Posted by TorUkie on Jun 11, 2020 9:26 am

Thank you for the well wishes - I will keep you posted. Tomorrow's the day. 

Posted by TorUkie on Jun 12, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi, just came back from a day full of appointments. Looks like it is all clear - the radiologist at PMH is confident that the breast nodules are benign. What a relief.  

However, I do have ‘extremely dense’ breast tissue and they will want to see me in 6 months for a follow up.  

Thank you all for your support. 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jun 12, 2020 7:17 pm

TorUkie

Great news!! Glad they will be monitoring you closely going forward also. 

I'm relieved for you! Did you do anything special to treat yourself tonight? 

Lacey

Posted by Essjay on Jun 12, 2020 7:35 pm

Excellent news TorUkie‍ - really good to hear. You can relax a bit now.