Breast Lump (Again )

Breast Lump (Again 😭)

Posted by JazThomson on Apr 27, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi all, I'm a 22 yr old female, mom of 2 boys (3 and 4 yrs old) I've been here before unfortunately. Last year I had a lump for 6 months and got it biopsied. It came back benign (she told me what is was but I only remember it was a real long mouthful of a word that started with A) and eventually it went away on it's own. Fast forward to December of 2019 I found another lump. This one hard and immobile, large with irregular borders. my nipple turns slightly downward when soft and I have milky clear coloured discharge that I thought might've been old milk. I'm a college student so I put off getting it checked again figuring it will probably be benign as well. Recently (last month or 2) the breast has become larger than the other (visibly so) and I've started to get numbness and tingling on and off in my arm on the same side, a lump about the size of a kidney bean or slightly larger in my armpit, and decided to call my Dr but due to Covid 19 they're always busy I can't get through so I went on Maple. She seemed concerned enough to fill out an urgent requisition form to have an ultrasound. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.Β 

Re: Breast Lump (Again 😭)

Posted by Wendy Tea on Apr 27, 2020 10:10 pm

Oh no! JazThomson‍  Girlfriend, why are you back here! I am so sorry to see you are having problems.Β  An ultrasound will definitely identify what is happening.Β  I hope your test is soon. Please stay in touch. Once again, I am here for you.
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by JazThomson on Apr 27, 2020 11:21 pm

Thanks wendy ! ❀ you girls keep me so calm. My husband really spurred the decision to get it looked at again because (as husbands do) was playing around and looked at me all bug eyed "What is that thing?" That's when I kinda realized it's a problem that needs looking into. I honestly was going to ignore it. I didn't want this panic again but something don't feel right. I know my body and something isn't right and it's warning me. So I should listen. Hope you're well ❀

Posted by Wendy Tea on Apr 27, 2020 11:26 pm

JazThomson‍  Yes thank you, I am well, staying home except to walk while physically isolating.Β  Please look after yourself and your sweet family. I am here for you.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Apr 28, 2020 9:59 am

JazThomson‍ 

I wish you weren't back but I'm glad you thought to reach out to us for support and have reconnected with Wendy Tea‍.

I'm glad you persisted and are getting things checked out. It's so important to pay attention to changes in your breasts. This may be benign too but better safe than sorry. Finding changes early is so important.Β 

Keep us posted we are here to support you,

Lacey

Posted by JazThomson on Apr 28, 2020 1:54 pm

Update. My Doctor is going to call me around 8:30am tomorrow to discuss but the receptionist was doubtful they'll be doing an ultrasound or biopsy anytime soon since she wasn't sure if this would be considered urgent or not. I'll keep you ladies posted about the conversation tomorrow. The fact that this one is closer to the armpit and about 2.5cm (I measured today) and immobile seems to have made her want to call back sooner because my previous date was in 2 weeks.Β 

Posted by Wendy Tea on Apr 28, 2020 1:58 pm

JazThomson‍  It is really important to have this looked at as soon as possible. Push for an ultrasound soon. I found tears helped! Dont tell anyone!

Posted by JazThomson on Apr 29, 2020 9:10 am

Update - I talked to a new female doctor at my doctors office and she booked me in for a full breast exam next Thursday morning (May 7th) and we will see what happens from there but she said I should have had follow up for the last one (which I didn't get because the receptionist told me I was making a big deal over nothing and benign means leave it alone) so I shall wait though I am convinced this is probably benign like the last one so I'm not panicking. I'll panic when and if I have to but for now I'll just assume it's nothing. Side note my last lump was not a fibroadenoma but that's all I know I'll be sure to ask at my appointment. Thanks ladies hope all is well ❀

Posted by Wendy Tea on Apr 29, 2020 9:13 am

JazThomson‍  That is great news and your positivity will take you far through life. A one week wait is really short so well done! Please stay in touch!Β 

Posted by JazThomson on Apr 29, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi ladies, that lump in my armpit seems to be causing some swelling tonight, it's causing some pain unless I keep a pillow between my elbow and side so it can't touch but it's left my arm feeling sore and heavy. Any tips? Also anyone else experience this before? Thanks ❀

Posted by Wendy Tea on Apr 29, 2020 9:46 pm

JazThomson‍  Do you have a nurses hotline you can call in your area? That would be your best option.Β  Let me know please.

Posted by JazThomson on Apr 29, 2020 9:54 pm

Wendy Tea‍ I could call 811 but from what I've heard it's insanely busy because of COVID up to a 3 hour wait for a call back and I'll likely be in bed by that time. I may just try to relax and take Tylenol for the inflammation if necessary, just wondering if this is something anyone else has experienced with my breast acting out (must be a teenager I swear) thanks love ❀

Posted by Wendy Tea on Apr 29, 2020 10:03 pm

JazThomson‍  I am not sure if you can get advice from our toll free number at the bottom of the page.Β 

Posted by JazThomson on Apr 29, 2020 10:06 pm

Thanks hun, I'll let you know if I call, I may just wait it out and if it persists call my doctor in the morning. It's not warm, red or really painful just concerning you know? Thanks lovely hope all is well ❀

Posted by Wendy Tea on Apr 29, 2020 10:13 pm

JazThomson‍  Oh good. I was worried it might have been an infection.Β  I hope you have a good night's sleep. Let me know how you are tomorrow. 😍

Posted by JazThomson on Apr 29, 2020 10:17 pm

Wendy Tea‍  Thanks so much love I'll let you know in the morning. It helps just having someone to chat with to ease my mind, I'm trying not to worry my family ❀ I very much appreciate your concerns 😍

Posted by JazThomson on Apr 30, 2020 1:44 pm

Sorry for the late update, feeling good this afternoon had a good sleep the swelling and pain has gone down, I can definitely feel that lymph node now but that's all that remains after last nights episode. I just slept on my opposite side and tucked the blanket under my arm so it wouldn't be touching and here we are. ❀

Posted by Wendy Tea on May 6, 2020 11:33 pm

JazThomson‍  Good luck tomorrow.Β  Please let me know how you are doing when you can. I have several things planned for tomorrow but I will be checking in when I can.Β 

Posted by JazThomson on May 7, 2020 10:41 am

Hi, so just got back from my doctor who was very unhelpful. He basically said he thinks it's nothing possibly a cyst but he doesn't know and that it'll just go away. He said it's too hard to book a scan right now so he wants to see me again in 3 months. He didn't really believe me that it has been there for months getting larger not smaller. He figures at my age it's probably nothing but mentioned my Cancer risk is higher especially on that side (?) Then basically said I should be taking hormonal birth control if I didn't want this to happen.... Should I be seeking another opinion?Β 

Posted by Wendy Tea on May 7, 2020 10:49 am

JazThomson‍ So what is going on in your province regarding re-opening?Β  Are they doing scans right now?Β  I think if it was me I would call his office and let them know how much you appreciated getting his advice, but you do not want to wait. You can ask for a scan. You might have to wait for it but you will be on the wait list now for a scan. Advocate for yourself.Β  You go girl! Stay in touch please!

Posted by JazThomson on May 7, 2020 10:57 am

We haven't reopened anything besides walking trails as of right now, my Doctor was very hesitant to even pretend to give me a scan. Basically said I wasn't a priority and that he has to basically get down on his knees and beg for a scan and it's embarrassing so he'd rather wait. I honestly don't see why he wouldn't put me on the wait list except that he probably just either felt something obviously benign (which he didn't say) or just doesn't want to. Honestly I'm tired of this doctor. I had to fight for a neuro consult as a teen because I had epilepsy and he didn't believe me when I came in complaining of Grand Mal seizures. I figure whatever either it'll still be there in 3 months or it won't be.Β 

Posted by Wendy Tea on May 7, 2020 11:08 am

JazThomson‍ Silly doctor! If you can access a new one, go for it! Here we have a website that is called Rate My Doctor. Do you have something similar? Please do what you feel is right. You know in your heart what is best. Please stay in touch.Β 

Posted by JazThomson on May 7, 2020 11:10 am

I've never heard of it. I figure I'll give it another month or so and if it's still really bothering me I'll look into my options. It really could be nothing, the chances (and statistics) are in my favor anyways. We shall see

Posted by Essjay on May 8, 2020 3:12 pm

JazThomson‍ that sounds frustrating!

Which province are you in? Do you have a Breast Health Centre? We do in Manitoba and it takes self-referrals, and has been open through the COVID crisis.Β 

On the positive side of things, at least the soreness has gone down a bit, and statistically speaking, yes absolutely, most lumps are not cancer. But this waiting is very distressing...

Lets hope you can have a scan very soon, and they’ll spot a lovely cyst that can be drained straight away xx
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by JazThomson on May 9, 2020 3:05 pm

I'm in Nova Scotia. We have a breast screening clinic but they only do mammograms and have cancelled all appointments until this is over (I was told I can't do a mammogram because of my age the density of my tissue will make it not worth while)Β