Covid complications

Covid complications

Posted by Imagineurnations on Mar 23, 2020 8:04 am

I’m terrified waiting. After one ultrasound to look at a couple of left breast lumps and a left armpit lump my doctor has me booked to talk to a surgeon in person. ASAP. Even as non-urgent surgeries r being cancelled or postponed.  
No diagnosis officially yet. 
I see the surgeon 2 days before I will have 3 biopsies (idk what kind) a mammogram and an ultrasound of the right side. 

the doctors urgency is both comforting and terrifying. 

She is getting things lined up for me to likely have surgery ASAP but I don’t even k ow what kind of cancer or what stage yet. Or even if it really IS cancer...tho I have little doubt. No sense in wasting the time of a surgeon or risking Covid contact atm so if I’m going to talk to a surgeon...this has got to be deadly serious. 

Covid lockdown makes it so much harder. Haven’t shared with most people in my life because I don’t really have a diagnosis yet AND everyone already has enough anxiety to deal with in our current pandemic. 

also, I’m SO scared to go out for medical appointment. Scared I will catch the virus. I have asthma as well as this likely cancer diagnosis. 

terrified terrified terrified

Re: Covid complications

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 23, 2020 8:37 am

Hi Imagineurnations‍ 

I saw your post, and first off, take a deep breath and try to calm your mind.

Perspective to help you look at the positives here: You are being assessed with tests, and your doctor has already recommended and obtained a consult with a surgeon. Yes, both scary and very proactive at the same time.

Judging from your post, the biopsies will tell the medical team what type of cancer (or other issue if its not cancer) you are dealing with. To have this move forward quickly is a good thing given the current circumstances.

This link Questions to ask when you have cancer is from the Canadian Cancer Society website. Look through it, and use it to form your line of questions during your upcoming surgical consult. I know you've not yet got a diagnosis, but I believe the suggested questions will help anyone facing potential surgeries.

Your consult is likely one of many to come, so look at having your questions written down, and if possible take someone with you to help write down the answers to your questions.

As far as going to your appointment. The hospital will have a protocol in place for all entering and exiting. If you have some, take the hand sanitizer with you. Maintain safe (six feet currently) distance from others. Sneeze or cough into your arm, and wash your hands before and after handling anything common to others.

Being prepared gives us all some level of control and a sense of confidence in moving forward with that confidence. You can do this, you need to do this for you, so like I said at the beginning, take a deep breath and take one step at a time. Cancer is a scary place to be in at the best of times, and these times are not the best - but its doable for all of us.

Sharing here is a great start, and to help reduce stress, confide in family and friends so as not to shoulder stress all by yourself. You aren't alone although it probably feels like that right now.

Keep in touch, ask questions as more information comes to you, and get through this as best you can.

ACH2015

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Mar 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Imagineurnations‍ 

Though I know you would rather not be here, I want to welcome you to the site just the same. You have had a great response from ACH2015‍ and i hope that gives you some sort of comfort or peace.. There is a saying on here that is used a lot. "What do I know to be true right now" Try to focus on the information you know is true and try not to get too far ahead of yourself. Believe me I do know that is easier said than done. I am a cancer survivor myself and watched 3 immediate family members go through it as well. When I get  anxious I say that to myself. It does help .

I am glad you reached out. Continue to reach out here and update us . We are listening

Lianne

Posted by Essjay on Mar 23, 2020 2:16 pm

Imagineurnations‍ welsome to this wonderful community.

Scary times for you, and good advice from ACH2015‍  and Lianne_adminCCS‍ - take it slow, one day at a time.

Getting on the cancer train is frightening and there are so many unknown stations. The biopsies will show what’s going on and will help the surgeon plan.

Lots of uncertainty with COVID19, and we are not going to be able to answer all your questions on here - even your surgeon may not have answers to all your questions.

My advice is to use distraction just now - it kept me sane while I waited for my diagnosis, results, and for treatment to start, and remember that most cancers (if that’s what this is) grow very slowly...

let us know how your appointments go.

Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Imagineurnations on Mar 23, 2020 2:49 pm

How do I delete my profile on here?

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Mar 23, 2020 3:45 pm

Imagineurnations‍ 

I will send you a private message

Thank you

Lianne