Do you have the brca1 or brca2 gene mutation???

Do you have the brca1 or brca2 gene mutation???

Posted by mycrazyjourney on Apr 28, 2019 6:42 pm

I have been doing a lot of reading on the gene mutations brca1 and 2, if you have these mutations can I ask what type of cancer do you have.... I’m curious to see what different cancers are common with brca1 and 2. I have recently gone for genetic testing and have 2-3 weeks before my results will be available.  Thank you in advance for your imput.

Re: Do you have the brca1 or brca2 gene mutation???

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Apr 29, 2019 3:29 pm

mycrazyjourney‍ 

I'm glad you posted! .Here is some more info about BRCA genes:

From: https://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/BRCA1andBRCA2.html  

BRCA gene mutations from www.cancer.ca 

The BRCA genes are tumour suppressor genes that normally help to prevent cancer. They control cell growth and division and help repair damage to DNA. But mutated BRCA genes can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer. There are 2 BRCA gene mutations that are known to cause cancer – BRCA1 and BRCA2. These gene mutations increase the risk of a woman developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer. BRCA2 gene mutations are also linked to a higher risk of male breast cancer and prostate cancer. BRCA2 gene mutations also give both men and women a slightly higher risk of developing pancreatic cance

Read more: http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-101/what-is-cancer/genes-and-cancer/genetic-changes-and-cancer-risk/?region=on#ixzz5mVsEMAVj

prairiemom‍ is BRCA positive I believe.

Please keep us posted about your results,
Lacey

Posted by prairiemom on Apr 29, 2019 11:03 pm

Hi!!! As Lacey_adminCCS‍ mentioned, I carry the BRCA1 gene mutation, I inherited the gene from my Dad, along with his silver hair, it's good to be aware that the gene can be passed on by men as well as women, as a lot of people automatically assume the breast cancer can only be carried down on Mom's side. Not every person that inherits a mutation in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene will go on to develop cancer, but there is an increased risk of certain cancers, compared to the general population. 

For BRCA1, the two cancers with greatly elevated risks are breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Triple negative breast cancer can be common with the BRCA1 mutation. Unfortunately for me, my family being the older, British "stiff upper lip" not talking about illness type of family, I had no idea that there was a gene mutation at play, I just knew that my Dad's side of the family was ravaged by cancer. I'm the tenth person on my Dad's side that I know of, and the only one here to talk about it. I think I am the fifth one to have breast cancer.  I was diagnosed in July 2015 with stage 2 triple negative breast cancer, and while i was going through chemo, I had genetic testing done to look specifically for a BRCA 1/ 2 mutation. Triple negative can be aggressive and fast growing, and recur, so once I was done with chemo, I had a double mastectomy straight away. As I was done having children, I also had a complete hysterectomy, and had my tubes and ovaries removed too, to reduce my risks as much as I can - craziest eight months of my life. 

There are other cancers also that you can be at an elevated risk for, like pancreatic, colon, prostrate for men, etc, I know Lacey posted some links for you. This might be useful too

https://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/genetic/pos_results

Good luck!! Let us know when you get your results! 

Steff

Posted by ashcon on Dec 4, 2020 8:14 pm

Bluemaiden3
Welcome to this site. Glad you found us! 
Thought you'd like to meet prairiemom‍ thru this particular discussion. 

I was diagnosed with TNBC, but genetics testing revealed that I did not have the BRCA1 mutation. 

Yes, it must be a relief to know you are no longer fighting a ghost! 
And it impacted 3 of your sisters as well? How are they doing? 
Where are you in your "cancer conquering" journey? 

Stay close here, I'm sure you will have be of help for others who have discovered they have this gene mutation. 

Take care of you and your boys! 
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----