Tongue biopsy

Tongue biopsy

Posted by Scott_C on Feb 12, 2019 11:27 pm

Hi there,

My dentist noticed a white patch on the side of my tongue 6 weeks ago during a routine dental visit.  He referred me to a oral and maxillofacial surgeon.
At 46, I have not smoked since a couple year stint in my 20's.  I don't drink either.

Got a tongue biopsy which was incredibly painful last week. The patch was completely removed, it appears.  Waiting on the results.  

Not sure if I should post on this site yet or not, since I have not been diagnosed yet.

Scott

Re: Tongue biopsy

Posted by JamesT on Feb 13, 2019 12:29 am

Hello Scott_C‍ 

Welcome to the site.  This is a great site for reading about what folks have gone through or are going through.  Hopefully you won't have to spend anytime here and your biopsy turns out clear.

It sounds like such a good thing that you saw your dentist, and they have gone done the path to have a biopsy done.

The worst is not knowing what's happening...but try not to fret about what you don't know about.

Sincerely,

James

Posted by Scott_C on Mar 4, 2019 9:30 pm

Thanks.

The biopsy came back as dysplasia - not cancer but potentially pre-malignant.  I have to get another incisional procedure on my tongue because the surgeon did not get it all the first time.  Not looking forward to that.  I guess it potentially could turn into cancer and that is why is has to be totally removed.  It could be much worse, and I am grateful I caught it early.  Apparently I am higher risk for oral cancer moving forward and will have to keep an eye on things and make sure I get a full oral exam by my dentist regularly.

Posted by Scott_C on Mar 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Second biopsy came back, no cancer but "A typical" cell changes.  I have been referred to a cancer centre in my town.  I was surprised to hear this, but I guess it a precautionary to keep an eye on it.  I'll find out more once I see them.

Posted by Elsie13 on Mar 21, 2019 5:05 pm

Scott_C‍   Happy to hear that there was no cancer found. Since you mention atypical cell changes,  it's probably for the best if the Cancer Centre keeps an eye on you.   Please let us know what they say!

Share with your friends: