Waiting for a diagnosis

Waiting for a diagnosis

Posted by Lynne42 on Feb 12, 2019 2:42 pm

I found a lump on my left breast back in Sept. I disnt go to the doctor until nov. Dec 21 i had a mammogram and an ultra sound. Few weeks later they called me back and i had to go back for an ultra sound biopsy. I had the biopsy jan 29 19. Im waiting on the results. It seems lime its taking forever. Is it normal to take so long? Any info would be helpful. 

Re: Waiting for a diagnosis

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Feb 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Hi Lynne42‍ 

I'm so glad you found us here. Waiting for results is a tough time and it can be so helpful to talk to people who understand.

Did they give you an idea what to expect in terms of timing of results? Where are you located?

Lacey

Posted by cancertakesflight on Feb 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Lynne42‍ No one who has the cancer experience likes the waiting. A couple days can feel like a lifetime. When it's biopsy results it can feel even longer. It can take around 14 days or a little longer to get the results. At least that was my experience. 

Do what you can keep busy. While I was waiting I tried to believe everything was okay until proven otherwise. I just adjusted as I heard more. This helped reduce my worrying. Please let us know when you get your results. Maybe ashcon‍ and Kims1961‍ might want to share their stories.

cancertakesflight (Debbie)

Posted by Kims1961 on Feb 15, 2019 11:22 pm

Lynne42‍   Welcome to this awesome community.  Thank you for the tag cancertakesflight‍ 😀

Where do you live Lynne?  I'm in Ontario.  I found my lump on my 56th birthday .  I saw my family doctor who referred me to the local Breast Assessment Centre where I had an ultrasound, mammogram and biopsy.  I thought the time from biopsy to results was 10 days for me - it was during a long weekend.  Did they give you a number to call if you had any questions?  I was given a nurse navigators phone number - which I could call if I was worried about the delay in getting results or had questions.  Did they give you a time frame?

You are so right about the waiting....it is almost the most difficult part....certainly emotionally.  I found distraction techniques helpful and exercise.  Great time to get back into a hobby, puzzle, clean out a closet - anything to keep your mind distracted.  Exercise helps to keep you busy and may assist with sleep, if your mind doesn't want to rest.  Posting her is also a great idea - your questions/vent or just read some of the other posts.  We are here for you.

Let us know how you're making out.  Kim

Posted by ashcon on Feb 16, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi Lynne42‍ 

Great tips from Kims1961cancertakesflightLacey_adminCCS‍ .  As suggested, your location (province) may make a difference in when and how you receive test results, as each province has its own standards regarding diagnostics.

Only things I would add are:
  1. I suggest that you request copies of all of your test results as they occur.  Depending on where you are being treated, your test results may be available online.. Or you may be able to get copies from your doctor, or from the Patient Records department of your hospital or diagnostic centre.  
  2. If you're a curious person like me and are looking stuff up on the internet as you wait for results, stick with reputable sources only, like cancer.ca.  They provide a good overview of breast cancer, including some questions you may want to ask when you do finally get your results. 
As Debbie says, "believe everything is OK until proven otherwise".

ashcon (Ann)