Question re MRI

Question re MRI

Posted by Ssusan144 on Jan 21, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi there, I had a breast screening MRI which was totally clear but showed something on my liver, I am now booked for an ultrasound.. I usually wouldn’t worry about things like this but I am bc my Dr gave me no information. Wouldn’t the MRI determine whatever this was I thought they were better than ultrasounds? Does anyone have experience with this?

Re: Question re MRI

Posted by ACH2015 on Jan 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi Ssusan144‍ 

You're right, MRI's are more detailed than Ultrasounds. If I had been given an MRI months earlier than just an ultrasound, my situation would have been less invasive. But that's a different situation. 

I was hoping to find an answer for you. No specific answer came up in the areas I searched. There are many different types of ultrasounds. Some involve contrast dye like CT's or MRI's.

One possibility is that the doctor wants to look at your liver in a scan that happens in real time. An MRI is produced over time during the scan and is like a recording, vs the ultrasound which is live. Another explanation my be the position you need to be in during the scan. MRI's happen in the prone position. Ultrasounds can be done standing sitting, etc.

You could phone the doctors office and ask them directly. Its not unusual to be caught off guard during a consult. Or, during the scan, ask the technician doing the test. He or she knows what the doctor wants to see and should be able to explain what is being sought by the ultrasound.

Keep well and let us know what you find out.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by Ssusan144 on Jan 21, 2019 2:19 pm

Thank you for your reply... I’m sorry that you didn’t receive the proper testing to begin with. I did call to ask my Dr if there was anything I should be worried about but the secretary said they will book a follow-up appt of need be, so maybe this is a common thing? I don’t know... but I have the US on Thursday and I will keep you posted :)

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jan 30, 2019 12:06 pm

Ssusan144‍ - how did the ultrasound go? Any news?

Posted by Aly on Feb 8, 2019 2:02 pm

Hey Ssusan144‍ ,

An ultrasound is better to determine if there is biliary obstruction, gall bladder disease, or fatty liver disease (among many other liver issues). It is also better at differentiating if what is seen on your MRI is a cyst or a solid liver lesion. MRIs of the liver are only really good at determining if there is a lesion (or lesion-like area). I am in no way a doctor, but my presumption is that they are determining if what they saw on the MRI is. There is a very good chance it could be something fixed easily. Don't worry too much until you know for sure.

Aly