Cancer death rate in U.S. has now been falling for 25 years. Canadian stats and interesting tren...

Cancer death rate in U.S. has now been falling for 25 years. Canadian stats and interesting trends info included in the article.

Posted by ACH2015 on Jan 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Interesting article and good news overall. "The U.S. cancer death rate has hit a milestone: It's been falling for at least 25 years, according to a report"  

Cancer death rates the good and bad news, the triumphs and tribulations that have come from the study.

WesT‍ et all in the prostate thread. You will find it interesting to hear what they've shared about prostate cancer, I'm interested in your perspective. Good thing you wern't living in the states, based on those theories presented.

ashcon‍ - I thought immediately of your post here about obesity and cancer. A much more dire warning of the dangers associated to the obesity epidemic and its link to increased death rates from pancreatic and uterine cancers. Literally food for thought.

Keep well and keep informed.

Overall
the "decline in smoking, advances in treatment and early detection credited"

ACH2015 - Andy.

Re: Cancer death rate in U.S. has now been falling for 25 years. Canadian stats and interesting trends info included in the article.

Posted by WesT on Jan 12, 2019 2:21 pm

ACH2015‍ I think this is the link to the American Cancer Society 

https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/cancer-statistics-report-death-rate-down-23-percent-in-21-years.html

Re: Cancer death rate in U.S. has now been falling for 25 years. Canadian stats and interesting trends info included in the article.

Posted by WesT on Jan 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Funny thing about the Prostate Cancer PSA testing comment in this article....  I have heard from a few people that I have talked to that complain about the $35 fee for the PSA test here in Ontario.  "I am not paying $35 for a test for something I won't get".  My comment back was "I didn't think I would ever get Prostate Cancer either!"  Suck it up, the finger probe doesn't hurt and the $35 test could save your life, get checked regularly!  But what do I know...

Posted by ACH2015 on Jan 12, 2019 3:19 pm

WesT

I've shared this before, Ontario is one of three provinces — along with British Columbia and Quebec — that does not cover routine PSA screenings under medicare. OHIP will only pick up the $30 tab if a doctor orders the tests for at-risk patients or if the man has already been diagnosed with prostate cancer and is receiving treatment.
May 21, 2012

According to the document, the test is
FREE providing your doctor submits the request as stated. From the MOHLTC website.

I agree our lives are worth $35.00 for a test, but if we meet a criteria why are we paying when we may not have to?

I fought and won against the MOHLTC last year to make changes for everyone's benefit re: amending the P.E.T. scan Appeals process. Now when considering the value of an unfunded P.E.T. scan appeal the recommendation has been put into the decision making criteria that recommends approving the funding for the P.E.T. scan where
"and where the clinical scenario is complex and specific benefits/determent's of the P.E.T. are unclear – the panel should consider approval". This is huge. That's worth $1200.00 to $2500.00 per test that may have been previously just taken out of our wallets, or dependent on the success of a GoFundMe page.

That fight saved me $7500.00 (and maybe you too down the road) - even though I think my and any life is worth it - I believe we all have better things to do with the money, if we can make our case and win one for the little guy.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by WesT on Jan 12, 2019 4:10 pm

ACH2015‍ Interesting.

I do know that I have not had to pay for my two post op tests.  I had to pay for them before my operation but not after.  I am happy about that.

Glad to hear you are fighting the good fight for yours and everyone else's benefit.  Thank you!

Posted by Jackwb on Jan 12, 2019 4:12 pm

I've been charged and had no-charge PSA testing over the years in Ontario...the criteria is that they charge for preventative testing (part of an annual check-up) but there is no charge for diagnostic testing, when the doctor sees symptoms of something. I've even had no-charge testing when I popped a blood vessel in my groin by some aggressive mountain biking and peed blood for a couple of days. Even got a no-charge ultra-sound for that one.

Posted by ACH2015 on Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm

WesTJackwb‍ 

Am I correct that men at or over 50 are the target age groups for preventative test screening?

Its not rocket science to figure that prevention is much cheaper in the long run than dealing with advanced (prostate or any ) cancer for both the patient and the Health Care system. Being in the know, (and because I have a history of cancer) I would make sure the doctor submits the OHIP covered code for the test.

I would gladly pay more taxes collectively for increased and funded testing for all concerned. 

We don't need to become U.S.A. North and be nickle and dimed to death in the what is and what's not covered testing jungle.

It also makes for a class division of the haves and have nots. 

We don't need that.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by WesT on Jan 13, 2019 12:45 pm

ACH2015‍ 40 and above is the target age to start getting tested every year.....  You and I may be willing to pay a bit more in taxes but the man in power here in Ontario doesn't give a s*** about us, just his inner circle buddies and supporters  Until they can't afford it, it will not change and they just keep getting the backroom deal perks that he campaigned against!

Jackwb‍ how is Florida?

Posted by ashcon on Jan 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi ACH2015‍   Thanks for sharing this.  Yes, obesity is such a factor in so many health issues frown

It is encouraging to see some improvements with certain types of cancers, and back-sliding with others. I was appalled to see that line about reduced screening practices for prostrate cancer:

"....the trend [in mortality rates] changed after a 2011 decision by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force to stop recommending routine testing of men using the PSA blood test. That decision was prompted by concerns the test was leading to overdiagnosis and ​overtreatment.

The prostate cancer death rate flattened from 2013 to 2016. So while the PSA testing may have surfaced cases that didn't actually need treatment, it may also have prevented some cancer deaths, the report suggests.

Note: Calling someone back for further testing or screening is not "over diagnosis" or "overtreatment".  It just means the doctors want repeat or better testing done before making their determination.
The task forces on both sides of the border seem to be inclined to mislead the general public about this.
As we know after going through our own wait times for test results, diagnoses and treatments are not triggered until there has been due diligence in diagnostic testing to confirm the presence of cancer - MRIs, CTs, PET. scans, biopsies, etc.

I'd rather have some worry and anxiety by going through some extra screening just to be safe, than the fear and dread associated with a missed or late-stage diagnosis. 

PSA tests aren't the only ones we need to be more vocal about with our health care leaders. The recently revised guidelines for breast cancer screening has been scaled back by the Canadian Task Force on Preventative Health Care.
It now suggests, amongst other things, that women and their GPs do not do self-exams anymore.  This is wrong on so many levels, I don't know where to begin.

Posted by ACH2015 on Jan 14, 2019 9:33 am

ashcon‍ 

I agree with your concerns and comments about perceived over diagnosis and over treatment 100%.

To me, its simply a Government cop out and their way of saving money in their perception, and not coming right out and saying it saves money and keeps down Health Care costs down.

One of my peers said it best last year at an information presentation from an oncologist at a cancer support meeting. The doctor was towing the party line in a response to a cancer survivor's question.

The cancer survivor replied "maybe more doctors need to endure cancer treatments and costs themselves to understand her concern".  Point well made.

Its easy for politicians that make 200k annually and have no money woes to expel their rationale and it amplifies their lack of concern for the little guy. They don't live in our world, they don't get it and never will. 

Keep well and keep fighting for improvements! 

ACH2015 - Andy.

WesT‍ 

The Government will never give us something for nothing. I'd rather see increased levels of testing resulting from increased taxes. At least we would all benefit as a result.

If more people took a position, and actually made politicians accountable for their actions - we would all be better off. 

Each cancer support group out there should be advocating for improved testing to benefit their members. The members should be part of that advocacy via petitions, seeking and participating in meetings with those in charge and in social media.

Been there bought that t-shirt myself. I spent a year on Parliament Hill during my cancer treatments and I won.

The U.S.A. and the people there have themselves to thank for their mess. Thinking before you vote, and sharing mutual concerns can make a positive difference.

ACH2015 -  Andy.

Posted by Minus2 on Jan 15, 2019 6:46 am

Thank you ACH2015‍ and ashcon‍ for your insights regarding these publications and task forces.  As Ann said, I don't know where to begin.  In my opinion, standard of care in both prevention and treatment, is always developed in response to fiscal policies.  The first policy developed for any government or business organization is the budget and that drives every other policy, procedure, and service delivery model.  I worry about my own health, of course, but in light of the fact I have a genetic mutation, it's my children's health I am most concerned about and their access to early screening.  
Sigh.
Minus2

Posted by ACH2015 on Jan 15, 2019 8:52 am

Minus2‍ 

Accountability at the top and proper oversight of budget dollars mean increased preventative testing and treatment for all.

I have seen first hand how infighting, complacency and a lack of communication in the MOHLTC that trickles down to related stakeholders at the hospital level can and have created unnecessary out of pocket spending at the cost of cancer patients. Not to mention unnecessary wait times for treatment - i.e. cancer surgery. Like I said during my many meetings with the people at the top "cancer surgeries should not be treated and looked at in the same way as elective rhinoplasty" .One is a need the other is a want. 

I am proud to say I always did my job as a Government employee, but the number of people that collect pay cheques in many facets of government for no reason would astound most people. There is little desire to trim the fat, because its not a for profit business, and the money flows in all day - everyday.

There are not enough doctors, nurses, equipment, to treat the onslaught of cancer and other patients in a timely manner. Trimming the fat at the top, and diverting the savings to actual testing and treatment areas will improve quality of life for all. Bureaucracy is always top heavy and in need of trimming. This is not an opinion - this is fact based on my experiences.

I offered to work for the MOHLTC and CCO for free. There is a need for greater levels of triage and insight in all facets of health care - not just the emergency room. They have not taken me up on that yet. 

I would also gladly hand out the required bureaucratic pink slips myself to help fill the coffers of underfunded testing, treatment and research.

We are lucky to live where we do, but we could always do better.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by Jackwb on Jan 15, 2019 9:35 am

WesT:

Jackwb‍ how is Florida?

Hi, Florida is great this year, record breaking high temperatures for the first two weeks, a little cooler this week but we're still in the high 60's. Lots to do in Daytona, speed month is starting, leading up to the 500, spring break and bike week happening soon, sadly some of friends won't be here...one regular from Ohio was diagnosed with bladder cancer two weeks ago and had to cancel, another is being treated for blood cancer...these were the fun people, the rest of our neighbors are republicans. They're lucky that they have good health care plans, the health care here is excellent is you can afford it, I visited a neighbour in a hospital last year, it was like a 5 star hotel.

My numbers were good at the last assessments before I left, PSA <0.008, BP 121/70, A1c 5.6...it's like I'm 20 again. Cycling >25 miles/day.

You?

Surprisingly I was able to log in today with my old ID being the 15'th...I haven't changed my log-into to my e-mail address as I'm using the condo's wifi which is unsecured and we were hacked a couple of years ago. Can't take chances down here.

Enjoy the winter, stay warm.

Posted by WesT on Jan 15, 2019 9:43 am

Jackwb‍ Sorry to hear about your friends.

Did you get to the Roar Before the 24 or planning on going to the 24 hour race?  If I was in Daytona I would be there for sure.  Personally I have pretty much lost all interest in NASCAR (The France's are hard core Turnip supporters) but my interest actually failed when they introduced the "playoffs" to the series.  Actually given the current political environment in the States I refuse to go there at all these days,,,,,

I am doing good, thanks.  Every time I go back to work after being off for more than a long weekend, I start to look more and more forward to retirement. I envy the fact you are retired!

Enjoy!

Posted by ashcon on Jan 15, 2019 12:23 pm

Hi Minus2‍ 

The good news - if you can call it that - is that the guidelines do not apply to you or your children because of your genetic mutation. 

"This guideline does not apply to women at increased risk of breast cancer including women with a personal or family history of breast cancer, women who are carriers of gene mutations such as BRCA1 or BRCA2 or have a first-degree relative with these gene mutations, and women who had chest radiation therapy before 30 years of age or within the past eight years

So keep doing those self-exams and keep getting those high-risk tests and screens done!