Obesity and cancer

Obesity and cancer

Posted by ashcon on Nov 13, 2018 9:13 am

It looks like researchers are understanding more about the link between obesity and cancer.

Check out this article from Technology Networks

Re: Obesity and cancer

Posted by ACH2015 on Nov 14, 2018 12:41 pm

ashcon‍ 

Thank you for this timely article. It is incentive for me to work harder at getting to and maintaining a healthier body weight for many reasons - including cancer prevention.

Especially not being a "winter person", its an important time of year for me to keep up with alternate physical activity, and make healthier food choices and portion control.

It puts a new spin on that old saying "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". So true!

Thanks Ann

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by ashcon on Nov 14, 2018 1:26 pm

ACH2015‍ 

I love your new spin on that old saying!

In my humble opinion, this article (like many others) speaks to only one possible piece of a multitude of possible pieces that are potential causes for cancer.   
If you are overweight, does it mean you will definitely get cancer? No.
If you are fit and lean, does it mean you are 'safe' from getting cancer? No.

Long and short, there's no guarantees.   But we gotta do whatever we can to minimize any potential risks, right? Worst case scenario, you lose some weight and get fit so that you can better tolerate any treatments you may have to endure.

Going to the gym now.......

Posted by LPPK on Dec 1, 2018 9:02 am

Great article ashcon‍  There are so many contributing factors that lead to cancer . Some we can alter the risk and some we can't counteract
I found this list "The most common risk factors for cancer include aging, tobacco, sun exposure, radiation exposure, chemicals and other substances, some viruses and bacteria, certain hormones, family history of  cancer, alcohol, poor diet, lack of physical activity, or being overweight."  here.

Posted by luvcurling on Dec 4, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks for posting the link to the article! I wanted to share a resource that Alberta Health Services includes on their resource list for newly diagnosed persons:
"Fight Breast Cancer with Exercise" written by Dr. Jeff Vallance and Dr. Kerry Courneya. I was able to borrow it from the library and have just started it, so can't give a summary today. I have read that there is a lot of research into exercise and it being used as a complementary therapy for us. More food for thought.....
C.

Posted by LPPK on Dec 4, 2018 11:43 am

Here is a link to 'Exercise' on Breastcancer.org

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Dec 4, 2018 12:35 pm

This theory of breast cancer and exercise is behind how Abreast in a Boat got started as well:

https://abreastinaboat.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Dr-Don-McKenzie.pdf

Posted by ACH2015 on Dec 4, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks to all in this thread for the continued encouragement.

Just finished a spin on the stationary bike - and salad for lunch.

One day at a time.

ACH2015 - Andy.