+ Reply
CPP and Disability
Palys
3 Posts

Well here l am, playing at the cottage one day and in the hospital the next. Looks like Pancreatic Cancer! However, l am told it is operable and has not spread. I was deferring CPP to 65 (63) now and based on events will now apply early. However, do I apply for my CPP or do I apply for CPP Disability? I am confused as to what is the right move here at this time?

Update:

First off let me explain my situation in brief. Both y wife and I re fully paid up on CPP. We retired at age 54. Now the rules for CPP disability say you must have paid into CPP with 3 and up to within 6 years. That was not me (both 63). I should have looked closer as on “MY Services Canada” website in my account (you should all sign up to that) there was a line item that clearly stated, l do not qualify for disability. My wife and l wanted to take CPP at 65 for our financial reasons, but given the current events, that's has changed and we are both applying now. I applied from my hospital bed, its easy online if you know how to use a computer etc. Also, if for some reason I did not make it out of here, the fact that I have applied and or will be receiving CPP (Sept) would allow for a top up to my wife's CPP to the age max of 65 or what we have have received at 65 which is (currently 1236.00/month) So we are getting a little less but covered off the best case scenario for us.

Good Luck all!

8 Replies
ACH2015
2351 Posts

@Palys

You would likely be best to apply for CPP Disability first. You can go to the Service Canada website you can find the application. I am including the link for you here: https://catalogue.servicecanada.gc.ca/apps/EForms/pdf/en/ISP-1151.pdf
You fill out your portion and your doctor fills out the medical portion if they believe you meet the criteria. The application gets sent to Service Canada for approval. Better to go this route first. If you apply for and get regular CPP pension benefits before age 65, it effects your maximum payment because you have taken early.

Hope this helps

ACH2015

Palys
3 Posts

@ACH2015 Thankyou for your response, it was my thoughts as well to apply for the disability first. Will investigate and proceed. Thanks again!

Terry52
44 Posts

@Palys
I'm sorry you got that rotten diagnosis but it's great they can operate and it hasn't spread!! A bit of good news!

I was was on CPP disability first then the gov't switched me over to CPP when I turned 65. Hope this helps! Take care and good luck!

Terry

Palys
3 Posts

@Terry52 Tks Terry, after digging deeper, I cannot apply, so l have y answer!

Ciony
19 Posts

@Palys
Hello when I was diagnosed with acute leukaemia, I panicked so I applied for CPP, I was 63, I’m 65 now. I was on STD then went on to LTD, it was my insurance who told me to apply for CPP disability. First application it was denied as I did not meet the criteria. but I can appeal. I did not appeal. After few months my insurance told me again to reapply so i reapplied. It was approved and they CPP back pay me 11 months and paid me till I’m 65. The downside is the insurance minus the pay I’m receiving. But if I didn’t apply th insurance will automatically minus it anyway. In the end works out for me. Because I was receiving CPP they just added the disability pay

Mosi
215 Posts

@Ciony
This is an interesting discussion. I am presently on LTD and they encouraged me to apply to cpp disability “as a top up”. I was surprised to see how diligent they were in ensuring I had applied. I am waiting for a decision (has been about 4 months). It certainly would be to the insurance company benefit if they get to then deduct any monies paid.

Boby1511
1029 Posts

@Mosi
Hi there.

perhaps call service can re: application.

my turn around was only couple weeks to getting approved and paid.

the Cpp disability is an offset to my insurance so I don’t get any extra funds. But it’s in my agreement that they get to offset.

best wishes.

Mosi
215 Posts
Boby1511‍ Thank you for clarifying that. I did receive a letter this week from them saying that they are waiting for documentation from my oncologist. I called to ensure that the dr had received the request and it had been mailed out yesterday with a copy at administration desk for my files. Some progress is being made.
Kasey
+ Reply