+ Reply
Finding coverage for Bevacizumab
_Ashley
4 Posts
Hello,
Has anyone had success accessing funding for this targeted therapy? It is not covered by my Dad's private health coverage, or OHIP, but the Oncologist suggested it as the first choice for treatment with chemotherapy. For example, has anyone received funding from Cancer Care Ontario's New Drug Funding Program? The Victory Program will cover 50%, which still leaves $3,600 a treatment...
Navigating all this feels so heavy, and I fear I am missing a detail (this can't be this hard!?) which means my Dad is the one that is impacted.
Thank you.
3 Replies

@_Ashley Welcome to the site. I'm sorry to hear about you dad and your plight about finding funding for the medication. When I had breast cancer and needed a medication to help bring my neutrophil levels in the normal range during chemo, the drug I needed was really expensive. There was someone on my cancer team who helped get funding for me. She was some form of case worker, but I forget her exact title.

Do you have anyone similar on your cancer team that may be able to help? Is this coverage that you mention through Trillium? This is what I believe I used to get a least part of my medication cost covered.

cancertakesflight

_Ashley
4 Posts

Hi @cancertakesflight thank you for your support and information. We received a call from a “Drug Access Facilitator” yesterday, she has been working this past week with the Oncologist to see what we can get funded based on what he would like as a treatment. She said did not have success with Trillium or the New Drug Program (drug wasn't on their funding list). So the Oncologist has moved to a second option and the Facilitator is now working with the drug company directly to request coverage of it… (if I understand this all correctly). My Dad will know by mid-next week about that. I was happy to read that you had support and received access to the drug you needed. What a relief, and hope that ‘things’ do work out.

@_Ashley My cancer experience was in 2011 if that gives you any comfort. It was breast cancer but still I'm hoping that you find comfort. Like the plan you have mentioned. The drug company itself helped to pay for the portion of my medication that my private insurance didn't cover. I paid nothing. My medication was 2,700 for each treatment and that was 10 years ago. Please keep me posted about how you make out. Fingers crossed. I'm glad that you have someone to support you.

Cancertakesflight

+ Reply