+ Reply
Paying for Interferon
Lillee
124 Posts

The person who has been my care-taker since I got cancer is now facing it again himself.

He had a growth removed from his eye. He is now on Interferon. At $600 a month!

The Ontario Gov't won't pay for it.

He is 72 years old and cannot afford this. But he can't afford to lose his vision either.

He asked about the Exceptional Access program but was told it was not covered.

What other things can he try?

8 Replies
Boby1511
734 Posts

@Lillee

Thats horrible. Has he tried the Trillium Drug Program?

You could try calling the Ontario works office for suggestions.

Lillee
124 Posts

He is on Trilliam. It isn’t covered

Boby1511
734 Posts

@Lillee

I don't know. They say why? Is it experimental drug? Could try social assistance, they may have some ideas.

Lillee
124 Posts

They only pay if you take it IN the hospital. He has drops that he takes at home. Therefore not paid for. I’ll try social services or point him in that direction

Boby1511
734 Posts

@Lillee

seems it would cost more in hospital to the govt. shame the govt won’t pay. Hope he finds some assistance.

Boby1511
734 Posts

@Lillee

Perhaps your friend could try March of Dimes or Lions Clubs? Perhaps the Ministry of Health has a list.

@Lillee, Steven has been using a special eye drop gel post surgery for a three years. Not nearly as expensive at $50 a bottle but we reached out to the manufacturer directly. Our pharmacist told us many drug companies have foundations that offer assistance. We reached out and they didn’t but did send him some freebies. Perhaps you can reach out directly to the drug manufacturer to see if they have any way of assisting?

Lillee
124 Posts

Excellent idea. I know just the person to help me do that

+ Reply