Critical Care Insurance - when should I reach out to my provider?

Critical Care Insurance - when should I reach out to my provider?

Posted by Silver on Jul 22, 2019 4:19 pm

I'm self-employed, and am very determined to continue to work through and beyond my cancer treatment. I am concerned that my business would suffer if I don't. 

That said, I also need to be realistic that I may be unable to work for a few months. The worst should be in September and October, based on what they are telling me about radiation side-effects. But I'll be dealing with chemo too. 

I have critical care insurance, which covers major illnesses. I'm wondering when I should reach out to the company. I'm not sure that I will need the benefits, and there's a cap on the total benefits I can get. 

My bias is to wait and see how things go, because what if this first treatment doesn't work, and I need a second or third approach to treatment - at that point, I'll probably really need to stop working for awhile. 

But, perhaps I'd be better off finding out what I can get and when, and to talk with my insurance provider, now. 

Re: Critical Care Insurance - when should I reach out to my provider?

Posted by jennifer_m on Jul 26, 2019 4:49 pm

It's generally a good idea to have an initial conversation with them now to put them on notice that you might be making a claim. This way you will have all the info now when you're feeling okay, as opposed to having to struggle with all the paperwork and decisions when you're experiencing side effects. 

Posted by Babs1 on Jul 27, 2019 3:56 pm

Silver‍  I suggest that you review the terms and conditions of your coverage. My coverage had a specific time frame after diagnosis to be eligible. I also think you should contact the provider and get the forms needed ahead of time. 

Wish you you the best!

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jul 29, 2019 4:31 pm

Babs1‍ 

You make an excellent point about familiarizing ourselves with the policies and the finer points like limited time frames etc.
These kinds of conversations will undoubtedly help someone else in a similar situation.

Silver‍  - if you talk to your provider and have some info that would be helpful for others, we would love an update

I hope you get the answers you are seeking

Lianne

Posted by Treepeo on Jul 30, 2019 9:51 am

Hi Silver‍,

I agree with the others.  Reach out and get information now.  Trust me, these things take time.

I have insurance through my employer.  I had tons of paperwork to fill out.  My oncologist also had to fill out paperwork.  Medical records had to be sent to my insurer.  And I had to do phone interviews (yes plural).  Insurance companies are quick to take our money, but they are reluctant to pay out.  So start the process now.  You can always fill out forms now and hold onto them for a while if need be.  But you don't want to have to be dealing with this when you are feeling lousy.

Posted by Silver on Aug 30, 2019 9:10 am

Thanks everyone, for your responses and advice. I reached out to my account manager and she has been great to get things rolling. 

The hospital on the other hand - I submitted the required paperwork and it seems to have slid into a black hole. Over a month later, and it seems it never even made it from the front desk to the analyst who is supposed to handle this stuff. 

I should have followed up earlier, but, well, I was fully occupied being a cancer patient, trying to work, parenting, house managing, basically all the things. 

I think I'm just going to reprint (nuts - got to get more ink) and hand deliver the paperwork to the analyst - who got back to me the same day I called in to the cancer center. So, at least there is responsiveness there. 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Aug 31, 2019 8:00 am

Silver‍, don’t be too hard on yourself, eh. When I was working, and my colleague and I were “under the gun” with reports flooding in for us to edit and proof read, we used to assure each other, “It will all get done.” 
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Silver on Sep 17, 2019 3:38 pm

Just heard from my insurance rep that my claim was approved and I will be receiving the money soon. This is a huge relief, as I just had to tell a client I can't take on their project. I'm in the recovery stage, having finished treatment, but the side effects of the radiation are really just ramping up. 

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Sep 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Silver‍ good news. Happy to hear your claim has been approved. I am sure that takes a little weight off of your shoulders. Thanks for circling back and letting us know how it worked out.
Here's to continuing to heal.

Lianne

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Sep 18, 2019 1:46 pm

I’m happy for you, too, Silver‍ , and I’m glad you’re doing your best to work with your ability level at this point. The top priority is to get yourself feeling better!
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying