Transportation/Accommodation Funding

Transportation/Accommodation Funding

Posted by myblocktyler on Jun 21, 2019 6:15 am

Hello,
​​​​​​My name is Tyler, I live in Toronto I am currently undergoing chemotherapy for a Hodgkin's Lymphoma recurrence at St. Michaels Hospital.
Part of my treatment will include an autologous bone marrow transplant. 

Due to a surplus of patients requiring the treatment that I need (which normally would be performed at Princess Margaret Hospital) I am being redirected to receive my bone marrow transplant in Ottawa.

Is there any funding available that can be used for my transportation costs and/or accommodation costs.  My first trip to Ottawa to collect stem cells is a series of outpatient appointments from July 2-6.

I then return to Toronto for 2-3 weeks and make another visit for my transplant followed by 2-3 weeks of out patient Ottawa appointments.

As I am currently on ODSP/live on low income support, I am struggling to find financial means to cover the cost of train tickets (I do not drive) and out-patient accommodation for my first visit to Ottawa and the possible accommodation post transplant that I will require.  I am also one of the first people from St. Michael's in Toronto requiring an out of city transplant who is being redirected to Ottawa and because of the this, communications between my care team at St Mike's with my care team in Ottawa have been lengthy, however solutions to my accommodation and transportation situations are still unclear.

Does anyone know of any funding/financial assistance that I can apply for to cover the costs attributed to my out of city (but still provincial) medical transport and accommodation needs?

Thank you for your consideration,

Tyler Ennis

Re: Transportation/Accommodation Funding

Posted by ACH2015 on Jun 21, 2019 7:16 am

myblocktyler‍ 

A couple of suggestions to offer:

Call the information line for the Canadian Cancer Society at 1-888-939-3333. Have you spoken with any of the social workers at St. Mikes? Perhaps they could lead you in the right direction toward funding assistance in your situation.

Hope this helps

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by myblocktyler on Jun 21, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have spoken to social workers at St. Mike's and am seeking other suggestions that may they may not be aware of. 

Tyler

Posted by Kims1961 on Jun 21, 2019 11:30 pm

myblocktyler‍ 

When my husband receives treatment from Ottawa Hospital for his renal disease.  When he has surgery there or outpatient appointments, we have used ROTEL.  Its a hotel beside the Ottawa General Hospital - operated by the local Rotary club and is very cheap.  I'll attach a link - a room with 2 single beds is $31.50.

That being said - any amount can be difficult when you are also dealing with cancer. I wonder if social workers could arrange for your stay at Rotel and find a way to cover the costs?  I would also think that ODSP would cover the cost of hotels as it is for medical purposes?  

Hope this helps - let us know how you make out.  KIm

https://rotel.ca/rooms-rates/

Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jun 22, 2019 8:13 am

Hi, myblocktyler‍ , welcome to Cancer Connection - great smile in your avatar!

Have you talked to your care team about your transportation challenges? While no one wants to be “bumped” to another hospital, I would think that a patient such as yourself, who doesn’t have a “ready ride” to get to treatment such a distance away, would be considered for local treatment.

Another suggestion you could try is to reach out to via rail to see if they have a form of compassionate fare. I’ve no idea if they do, but it’s worth asking about.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Kims1961 on Jun 22, 2019 10:44 am

Oops....my message was a little disconnected sorry!  Long day...

Rotel was built by the Rotary club for use of Ottawa Hospital and CHEO patients only.  So although not fancy it is clean and is for patients and their caregivers only.

Kim

Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Tesachi on Jun 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi myblocktyler‍ 

Welcome to Cancer Connection.   I got this info from Gilda's Club about Airbnb community providing free housing for cancer patients and caregivers, if they meet certain geographic and income criteria.

Please call CSC Airbnb Helpline at 1-877-793-0498,  or visit their Cancer Support Community web page for more information and to apply. Here's their  link:

https://www.cancersupportcommunity.org/airbnb?fbclid=IwAR2ba05dVQ9fWMcYBrLaUkEc2dTOfYKROqDdMHblGd7f-blKXWWz5Pu3GHk&mc_cid=ee68dcd27b&mc_eid=67a7d570fe

Hope this helps,

Teresa - Tesachi

Posted by myblocktyler on Jun 22, 2019 2:09 pm

Thank you very much for this link and info!
I will contact them on Monday.

Tyler

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 12, 2019 12:18 pm

myblocktyler‍ 

Just checking in. Were you able to get some help with travel and accommodations?

Look forward to hearing from you,
Lacey