Canada Pension Plan Disability and Long Term Disability

Canada Pension Plan Disability and Long Term Disability

Posted by Aries on Jun 5, 2019 5:43 pm

Hello,

Has anyone applied for Canada Pension Plan Disability (CPP) along with your Long Term Disability? I have been approved for LTD and the insurer has told me I need to apply for CPP as well.
I am hoping I can do a modified/part time return to work (going to see what my 1st CT scan results are tomorrow before I look into this) so I am not sure if CPP will be applicable if I do although I know LTD will still be active for the hours I do not work.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Aries

Re: Canada Pension Plan Disability and Long Term Disability

Posted by Elizabeth06 on Jun 5, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi Aries‍ 
I think it is pretty standard for the insurer to insist that you apply for CPP disability as part of approving LTD.  There is a form, several pages, that the patient completes and then a separate form for the physician to complete.  The portion for my oncologist to fill in, was dropped off at medical records and sent directly to the government.  
I did not have trouble completing the documents, but, have heard from others that they received assistance from the hospital social worker, st their cancer Center.
i was approved fairly quickly, once the physicians portion was received.
hope it goes smoothly for you, and that your scans show that treatment is working for you.

Posted by Aries on Jun 5, 2019 7:06 pm

Elizabeth06‍ - thanks for the feedback! I hadn't heard of needing to apply for CPP before; I know I have paid into it for the past 14 years but thought that was just retirement stuff; I didn't know about a disability option.
I should be ok to complete the forms myself; I doubt they are much different from the one I did for STD and LTD. I can drop off the medical portion at my Cancer Agency administration dept. which last time, my Oncologist completed the form within a couple of days.
Thanks for the well wishes ... I will post tomorrow about my scan results - hopefully I will be able to share good news!

Posted by jennifer_m on Jun 6, 2019 1:54 pm

CPP disability is different from CPP retirement, in that you can come off CPP disability if your medical condition changes - so collecting CPP disability should not impact your ability to collect your CPP retirement benefits down the road when you retire. It's typical for insurers to require people to exhaust all other available benefits before collecting through the insurer - it's just a way insurance companies try to save money. With that said, if you are able to work part time you may not meet the test for receipt CPP disability, at which point, all your benefits would just come through the LTD insurer. 

Posted by Aries on Jun 7, 2019 4:24 pm

Hi jennifer_m‍ - thanks for the information. I looked it up and I think are right, if I do go back to work part time, I think that will eliminate the CPP option. Either way no biggie but it is good to know there is that option if I was not going back to work.

Posted by Mike William on Jun 9, 2019 5:50 pm

Just curious how you go about application for LTD as the sickness benefits that I am currently on only go for 15 weeks. All the research I have done on LTD seems like you have to have your own personal insurance to apply. I start chemo this month which will most likely go for approx 6 month duration. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike 

Posted by Elizabeth06 on Jun 9, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi Mike William‍ 
welcome to Cancerconnections, and sorry you find yourself here.  
I had access to LTD benefits thru the benefits package I had purchased thru my employer.  Do you have access to a website that shows the details of your coverage? Or an HR department that could offer advice on what is available to you.
my employer offered a basic long term disability or you could purchase higher coverage.
i don’t think there is a “one size fits all “ response to your question.
the following is a link to the government of Canada website on CPP disability and includes a reference to unemployment insurance sickness benefits.
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-disability-benefit.html
i think the social worker at your cancer centre might be able to help navigate financial resources that are available.
i hope you find answers before chemo starts.  

Posted by Mike William on Jun 9, 2019 9:13 pm

Thanks very much for the info Elizabeth, I am currentlly on EI sickness benefits and I now believe that I have LTD through Manulife and have sent an e mail off to them. I never really realized just how many are effected by cancer, everytime I turn around I hear another story of someone I know. I wish you well in your journey as well.

Posted by Aries on Jun 9, 2019 10:10 pm

Mike William‍ - I also have LTD benefits through my employer but I know you can purchase it privately, I see the commercials all the time. Glad you have already got some coverage through Manulife but as Elizabeth06‍ suggests, maybe check with your employer if that is an option. Otherwise, you will most likely need to apply for the CPP Disability as mentioned.

Good luck with your treatment!

Posted by Lauren55 on Jun 10, 2019 10:05 am

Mike William‍  Does your company offer short term disability as well as long  term?  If so you would use the short term up and nearing the end have the Oncologist sign off on the paperwork for the long term disability.  In my case the oncologist said I would not be eligible for the CCP disability  because it had to be a permanent disability where cancer treatment at stage 3 was not considered permanent in the eyes of CCP.  As the others have suggested talk to your HR person at work and the social workers at the cancer clinic.  They are all very helpful.  If you do not have STD or LTD through work and do not qualify for CCP disability then you mist likely will qualify for the provincial disability.  In BC it is through Social Services and Housing.

Posted by Mike William on Jun 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Thanks very much Lauren for your input, very much appreciated. Have some more homework to do. Cheers

Posted by binman on Jun 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi, you can apply for the CPP benefit and also have your LTD. My husband has both because of his Stage IV Colon Cancer. The only thing I would recommend is to ask about your LTD payments and if you apply for CPP will it interfere with your LTD benefits. Unfortunately we found out the hard way with my Husbands LTD benefits because our adjudicator told us to apply for CPP which we did and everything was fine then the insurance company which is paying my husbands LTD said that they over paid his benefits because he was collecting his CPP benefits at the same time so we ended up having to pay back over $10,000 to the insurance company which was hard on limited budget. So make sure to ask about everything is my suggestion, I would hate for this to happen to anyone else especially when you are dealing with Cancer on top of financial issues.

Posted by Mike William on Jun 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks for the info, much appreciated

Posted by Amores on Aug 13, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi I was followed for three years for a indeterminate nodule in my lung in june it grew.  I had a work up for lung g cancer. Turns out I have lymphoma.

I do not have long term disability through work however I had been given a paper to get dr to sign for medical retirement. 

he dudnt seem to understand why I would want to retire. I have comirbities ie other conditions that exacerbate this.

I dudnt feel comfortable asking him to sign it off. As well cpp said I can get my dr to fill cpp disabilty I'm reluctant to ask 

my interpretation so far is I should be happy its not lung csncer and many ppl work through treatment.  I can barely get yo work as it is  can anyone shed light on this 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Aug 14, 2019 8:13 am

Amores‍, without knowing many details about your situation (age, other conditions, etc.) it would be very difficult for any of us to advise you.

There are other things that could come into play - if you have short-term disability, it could be 6 days or 6 weeks - if it’s the latter, that could give you enough time to see how you respond to your treatments before deciding to go on disability, but, it might also mean that waiting to apply for disability might leave you with an absence of income for a few weeks.

Have you talked to someone at your cancer centre who might be able to access more information about your case? Perhaps they could set things out to you in a way that you could make an informed decision. You might also go to Service Canada to see if they can guide you through the process. And, you might contact a financial advisor - perhaps even the one at your bank could help you.

I’ve read here on Cancer Connection, that sometimes CPP disability will turn you down the first time and make you go through a second application.

It’s important to think about what going onto a disability level income will do to your budget. That will be a long-term situation.

Posted by Amores on Aug 14, 2019 9:12 am

Hi I am 59 one year away from early retirement march 2020  i had discontinued Ltd contributions a few years ago as it was 100 a month.

I was told in August by thoracic surgeon I have lymphoma in my lung not lung cancer but he dudnt want to provide more info as the case is now referred toheomology oncology.  I spoke with my gp yesterday and he as well did not want to discuss diagnosis.  I have no spot set for heomotology which makes me think maybe it's all ok.  

re the cop dussbility and medical pension from wrk I was provided both forms but have no doctor to sign.  My gp said wats wrong I'm 67 sure. I said yes but u dint have csncer

I guess I'm expected to work through watever it is as I only have 1 month sick leave left and much of that I assume will be testing.  

I can say I'm quite frustrated at this point 

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Aug 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Amores‍ 

I am sorry to hear that this part of the process has been so frustrating for you. Do you have any upcoming appointments with any healthcare provider that you can discuss the form with?
What is your current plan for treatment next steps?

Lianne

Posted by Amores on Aug 14, 2019 8:15 pm

It's ok Liane  no health contact yet only no I have lymphoma nothing more.  I have managed to obtain a psychologist  thru wrk as people seem to think I should be happy with the whole thing. You know the chemo fixes everything quip.  I've stopped discussing it. 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Aug 15, 2019 8:10 am

Amores‍ You mention that you can take early retirement at 60. If this is thanks to a pension you have through your work, I would talk to the pension plan people. My pension company came around to meet with me several times in the years prior to my retirement, and they were able to tell me what taking a reduced pension would look like. That might be another option for you to look into.

Posted by Amores on Aug 15, 2019 11:27 am

Cynthia I spoke to patient navigator today at cancer centre explained I'm on a depression and need a clear diagnosis 

ot is non hodgkins indolent cancer which means the tumour in my lung is very slow growing  the general approach is watch sndvwsit  I almost jumped out of my office with joy

I realize I will need treatment just not yet maybe in a few years but at 63 I will be retired 

oh my those ppl at the cancer centre are so kind   now I realize the hematologist msy say different and unprepared but heck yayyyyy 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Aug 16, 2019 8:53 am

Amores‍ 

that is GREAT! I’m actually very proud of you for stepping up and advocating for yourself. You should be, too!

Posted by Amores on Aug 16, 2019 9:10 am

Thsnk you Cynthia Mac‍ I appreciate that depression and  2.5 months of desperation made me grow up.

that said I still have to realize that what I was told by this liaison is an observation and I must steel myself in case the hemoyologist decides a different more aggressive approach.

for now I know its chronic nite curable but slow growing in the big scheme of things I think many patients diagnosed wld choose this.  

so now is time to continue to eat healthy keep losing weight until I'm just about overweight or normal  exercise  try to get a hold on my depression  keep working  and realize I'm still living.

it's best best any of us can do i think

ur very intelligent  ur gentle nudges brought me to self advocacy. And will continue to thank you cynthia I hope all is well with you.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Aug 16, 2019 10:31 am

I’m happy to help, Amores‍ !