Fundraisers

Fundraisers

Posted by Stumped on Nov 4, 2018 5:17 pm

A family member has cancer and people offer to do fundraisers. Twice people have done them without our knowledge. Small ones. Now someone wants to do one again. It would feel more public. And we know in advance this tine. We are unsure how to react. I guess it makes us uncomfortable but well...
Thoughts and experiences appreciated. We are new to this. 

Re: Fundraisers

Posted by ashcon on Nov 5, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi Stumped‍ 

I am sorry to hear of your family member's cancer.  Without knowing more background - like: how old is the family member (child/adult), type of cancer and stage/ prognosis, the person's financial and support network situation, their preference for others knowing about their cancer, etc - it may be hard to provide any insights or recommendations.   
Would you be willing to share more details?

Here's my experience, if it helps: I was 54, professional working woman living on my own when diagnosed with stage III, difficult to treat breast cancer.   
During my treatment, I shared updates with friends, family, and co-workers. As a result, 2 fund-raising activities transpired while I was going through treatment:
  1. My daughter got us a team in the Run for the Cure. Even though it took place just 3 days after a port insertion and round #2 of chemo, I took part in the event.  I was starting to appreciate how important it was for 1) others to offer help & support to me, and 2) for me to learn to accept help & support.  We raised over $6,000 and this sense of accomplishment really helped to diminish the fear and devastation I was feeling.
  2. For about 2 months around Christmas last year, my co-workers did various fundraising activities behind my back (silent auction, gift-wrapping service, etc) for about 2 months. They then surprised me and another co-worker who was also diagnosed with breast cancer with a cheque for about $1,400 each.   Note: I was getting LTD while off work but it was a reduced amount, so this $$ from my co-workers was immensely appreciated.  And I know they enjoyed giving this gift.   I paid off a couple of bills, then used the rest towards a new bicycle which was my 'treat' and my 'treatment' for getting and staying healthy after my treatments finished in April 2018.
"It is in giving that we receive" - St Francis of Assisi

Can you get an understanding of the motivations of the fundraising efforts by those who are doing it?   What does your family member say about them?

Posted by Elsie13 on Apr 14, 2019 1:47 pm

9b3c4e56c66c4b13f677054bc5399380-huge-im
My husband bought two little bunches of daffodil buds for the Daffodil Campaign.  I trimmed the stems and put them in a glass of water with a little sugar, and the next day more than half had opened up. The day after, they had all opened beautifully. 

Posted by Elsie13 on Apr 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Lacey_adminCCS‍ , Lianne_adminCCS‍ , ACH2015‍ and anyone who knows about this:
Two years ago I received a shopping bag from the Cancer Research Society. A year ago I received another shopping bag from them and recently I received a pencil case/ make up bag.  Each time they send the 'gift' with a request for donations.  Also, in the pharmacy, they often collect for some cancer charity that I've never heard of. (They are helping children with cancer, or they are helping Quebecers with cancer.)
https://www.charityintelligence.ca/charity-details/72-cancer-research-society  

Here is a link showing some of the research that the Canadian Cancer Society is doing:
http://www.cancer.ca/en/about-us/our-research/our-researchers/?region=on 

So CCS has a very good reputation. Also, researching charities is something I find very difficult. (My husband and I don't have a lot of money in any case.)
So here's my question.  Supposing the CCS had some sort of unintentional bias.  I don't know what it might be, except I hear there are new things, new treatments for breast cancer, but not much new in ovarian research.  But I don't know. 

So is it best to give money to only one charity?  If you give money here and there and somewhere else, it's like 'diluting' the research, or duplicating might be happening.  Of course people might also give to specific charities, like Ovarian research.  

OK, wait, there might be a new thing coming along for endometrial/ovarian.  https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/new-hope-with-promising-early-detection-test-for-endometrial-ovarian-cancers-1.3853903 

Posted by ACH2015 on Apr 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Hi Elsie13‍ 

First, thanks for sharing that picture of your Daffodils. They are lovely and hopefully their blooms will hasten the arrival of spring!

I am sure Lacey_adminCCS‍ and Lianne_adminCCS‍ will give their answer here about donations, and I wanted to share a link from the Canadian Cancer Society that may help put some of your questions about donations to the Canadian Cancer Society itself into perspective:

A Quote from the link I included below:

Our mission

The Canadian Cancer Society is a national, community-based organization of volunteers whose mission is the eradication of cancer and the enhancement of the quality of life of people living with cancer.

Our vision

Creating a world where no Canadian fears cancer.

What we do

At the Canadian Cancer Society, we are committed to improving and saving lives. That’s why we are always looking for new ways to prevent cancer, find it early and treat it more successfully. It’s why we’re always ready to give people with cancer the help and support they need to lead more fulfilling lives.

We set ourselves apart from other cancer charities by taking a comprehensive approach against cancer. We are also the only national charity that supports all Canadians living with all cancers across the country.

Here’s how we are doing more:

So for me, I believe the Canadian Cancer Society is the choice for donations. They use the money in the many facets of cancer, its used in Canada and helps Canadians in so many ways. The knowledge and innovations gleaned from these donations then are paid forward in sharing worldwide. Look at how many out of country members we have on this site. The impact is huge!

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

When I donate to the Canadian Cancer Society, I believe I am paying it forward, and investing in our future of health care innovation, support and treatment.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Apr 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Elsie13‍ , many years ago, (around the time Dad had prostate cancer, so about 16 years ago) I had a caller to my door fundraising for a breast cancer charity. One of the questions I asked was, “Why aren’t you working with the Canadian Cancer Society?” Her response was that they’d had a “falling out” with the CCS and decided to go their own way. This told me that they “don’t play well with others,” so I sent them on their way. 

It pays to ask pointed questions about “pop up” organizations.

Share with your friends: