Travel health insurance

Travel health insurance

Posted by marescow on Oct 1, 2018 3:32 pm

In the past I have been able to get travel health insurance- as long as I am stable. I have had lung cancer for 4 1/2 years, am on a daily pill, am stable (over a year) but still have to have CT tests every 2-3 months. This year the insurance companies seem to have changed their questionnaire to read if you have metastasized cancer & under treatment- therefore not insurable. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will insure me so I can go away for a few weeks? I have contacted many different companies & brokers.

Re: Travel health insurance

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Oct 1, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi marescow‍ 

This is a question that comes up frequently but not sure we have had anyone report back with their successes. I found this response from Lacey_adminCCS‍ and may be a great place to start as you certainly don't want any surprises

Our Cancer Information Service  ( 1-888-939-3333 ) often suggests people call the  Ombudsman for Life and Health Insurance   when they are looking for help finding an insurer after being diagnosed with cancer. You can reach them at 1-888-295-8112.

PS - good to hear you are stable. I wish you a great holiday

Lianne

Posted by cancerspouse on Oct 1, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi marescow‍ 
my husband and I had trouble finding a company that would insure my husband. In the end we used RBC they did not ask any questions, but my husband is under 60. 
It is really frustrating. Not sure if this helps.

cancerspouse

Posted by marescow on Oct 2, 2018 12:11 pm

Actually I got this site from 1-888-939-3333- Canadian Cancer & they also sent me to OLHI.ca or 1-888-295-8122 for a list of possible insurers. I had checked with several on the companies listed & they don't insure cancer patients either.
Possibly the RBC was insuring patients under 60 but they aren't interested over that. They are the only ones who might consider insuring you without the cancer coverage- which I may explore- but they don't reduce their price- it's the same no matter. I guess it's a matter of being insured at this point. Still searching. The latest questions are- are you considered terminal ( aren't we all?) or have you had chemo in the last 3 months before you travel ( including a daily pill- TKI?)- which they didn't have an answer to it.

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Oct 2, 2018 1:10 pm

marescow‍ I am sorry you are finding so many roadblocks. If you do get any resolution to this, and you are able to , it would be helpful for other members to let us know what you learn. I am sure many people have or will find themselves in this situation.

Lianne

Posted by nancy180 on Oct 3, 2018 11:26 am

Hi Everyone, 
I am thinking of visiting my daughter in the US. She is
here now and it would be nice to go to here place 
next time. I want coverage for things like ( God forbid) 
a car accident, fall. Etc. I don’t expect Cancer coverage 
as I am stable. 
However, I am afraid that a claim would be denied after
an accident. I saw a claim in Canada denied once where 
a previous heart attack patient was killed. Nothing to do 
with his heart. I believe it was paid after a huge public 
outcry. 
So I’ll shop around and post anything good I find. I am
also 68 so once over 65 it’s harder. Has anyone got 
info about CAA? I have that plus car coverage on a 
credit card. 
Thanks, all the best ,
Nancy

Posted by ashcon on Oct 8, 2018 11:09 am

Hi marescownancy180cancerspouse‍ and everyone else,

You may want to explore Goose Travel Insurance.  This just launched in Canada in August 2018 "to address the gap between the antiquated insurance industry and ‘on-demand’ needs of consumers today, Goose is on a mission to protect Canadians."
It seems to be able to provide coverage for all ages, even if over 75yrs old. (Some conditions apply)

The reviews, so far, of the service and the online phone app are 5star.  More info can be found here: Digital Journal Press Release

The "fine print" of the policy can be found here.

I finished treatment for Stage 3 breast cancer in April 2018 and am going to Costa Rica in December for 10 days. I intend to check this out, if my current travel insurance coverage (through my work) is not sufficient.

Check it out and let everyone here in this forum know of your experience with this company, if you end up using it.

Posted by marescow on Oct 8, 2018 2:31 pm

Thanks, I will check it out. But by reading about it, it seems it only covers some of the provinces- not Quebec sadly. I will call & see if they can refer me to someone else. Watch for the "terminal" explanation. I thought I was, as that was what they said 4 1/2 years ago. Seems if your life expectancy is less than 12 months or you are having palliative care, you don't qualify- according to their description- some insurances say 6 months.

Posted by marescow on Oct 9, 2018 5:30 pm

I called Goose Travel insurance & they don't cover Quebec & several other provinces. I asked who they could recommend in Quebec & they suggested Tugo. I have several calls in & waiting for answers. One of them may work, but doesn't cover cancer. The companies that may cover the other conditions would be Royal Bank & Surcureglobe. Tugo and Royal Bank can be checked online to prepare you for the questionaire. There are 7 days free if you have certain credit cards- like the Royal Bank preferred card, but if you don't qualify they won't reimburse you later. If you are over 60 & need less than 15 days you can get the insurance without the questionaire, they say.

Posted by Jav on Jan 14, 2019 11:59 pm

have had great difficulty finding travel insurance to the usa. I've had pancreatic cancer for 5 years and just this past year it has spread to one section of my lungs. My oncologist says to go ahead and travel but does warn that even if I get a company to insure against falls or accidents (I'm 78) and exclude the cancer, they likely will find a way to link back the claim to the cancer and deny the claim. I previously used CAA I believe with an exclusion for the cancer but now that it has spread to my lungs and due to my age... and I broke my hip three years ago.. am quite fraile I'm more concerned. My daughter and her family are going on vac and I wanted to join them. 

Posted by ooogra on May 17, 2019 4:39 am

if the insurance company claims cancer has something to do with a broken hip, that's really low of them. But anyways, insurance agencies are about making money, thus they'll do their best to avoid unnecessary, form their point of view, pay-outs.I personally have insurance from Allianz. Still before registering with one or the other insurance company, do talk everything over with the travel insurance agent. And for what it worth you might compare various plans at the travel insurance marketplace.

Posted by LucyK on Jul 27, 2019 10:27 am

I had a stem cell transplant for leukemia 7 months ago.  I have looked into travel insurance options for when I am permitted to travel again.  Tugo offers good options.   However, I found that Pacific Blue Cross was best for me.  One must be medically stable, no recent changes in treatment or medications to get coverage.  They also offer an option for coverage at a lesser cost that will exempt coverage for all cancers.  I.e. if I have a cancer relapse while travelling, it will not be covered, but all other illnesses or injuries would be covered.